Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fiber Optic On 686

DMG

I am wanting to put a fiber optic sight on my 686. I looked at the SDM, but it looks a tad too long. For those who have them an their 686, what do you have, how do you like them, and did you need to replace the rear sight as well and, if so, to what?

The length of the SDM sight allows more light to be transferred to the ends. Longer fiber optic, brighter light...I started with green, switched to red. I find it stands out better on the brown targets. You don't have to switch your rear sight but you will need to determine what height you need on the front to keep a good point of aim. I had a .300" front with the stock SW rear sight but had to switch to a .250" front after putting on the Weigand rear sight.

The D.A.O. 686 on the SDM website is mine. I changed the rear sight later to a Weigand blade because I liked the large, flat surface area of that model. I'm probably going to end up with Millets on all my revos because the Weigand's are a bit fragile and can get bent after a while of beating them around at matches. Check out the thread about 625 rear sights and notches...the Weigand is pretty good and is deeper than the Millet. When Randy gets his rear sight with the wide opening I'll probably switch them all over to that model.

Edited by redmist10

I got my fiber optic site from the Dillon Catalog. I do not remember who makes it, but it is the only one there. The thing is fantastic. Orange dot, and it really stands out. My gun is a 610, but they have sights that will fit all S&W revolvers, and I plan on ordering one for my 686.

Take care,

DM

• 1 year later...

David,

The SDM sight actually IS a hair longer than the flat surface on the end of the barrel rib of a 686. I cropped this from an old pic of my gun but you can see that the sight blade hangs over the leading edge of the ribs ramp just a few thousandths hen it's flush on the muzzle end. It bothered me at first but I quickly forgot all about it and hadn't thought about it at all until seeing your post.

I really like the RED fiber in the SDM sight. It stands out like a neon sign.

Gary

post-11314-1206733107.jpg

David,

The SDM sight actually IS a hair longer than the flat surface on the end of the barrel rib of a 686. I cropped this from an old pic of my gun but you can see that the sight blade hangs over the leading edge of the ribs ramp just a few thousandths hen it's flush on the muzzle end. It bothered me at first but I quickly forgot all about it and hadn't thought about it at all until seeing your post.

I really like the RED fiber in the SDM sight. It stands out like a neon sign.

Gary

No over hang with These

No overhang with the SDM on my 686:

686SDM.jpg

This was one of the 5 inch half lug guns that came factory with the Hi Vis front. I loved the Hi Vis in the shop, but never got used to it on the range. The rounded top made it very difficult (for me) to be precise. I much prefer the square top of the SDM.

• 3 weeks later...
I am wanting to put a fiber optic sight on my 686. I looked at the SDM, but it looks a tad too long. For those who have them an their 686, what do you have, how do you like them, and did you need to replace the rear sight as well and, if so, to what?

Cylinder and Slide has new front AND rear fiber optic sights for S&W revolvers. They are good square notch and post target sights

with fiber optic front and rear. I have tried all the color combinations. For my vision the green rear and orange front work the best.

Cylinder and Slide has new front AND rear fiber optic sights for S&W revolvers. They are good square notch and post target sights

with fiber optic front and rear. I have tried all the color combinations. For my vision the green rear and orange front work the best.

Sights are a personal preference thing, but I would always advise a shooter to avoid anything on the rear sight (fiber optics, colored paint, white outlines, etc.) that might draw one's visual focus away from the front blade where it belongs.

Sights are a personal preference thing, but I would always advise a shooter to avoid anything on the rear sight (fiber optics, colored paint, white outlines, etc.) that might draw one's visual focus away from the front blade where it belongs.

I have always had a hard time with black target sights on a black target or going between targets (plates, pins, etc.) the sights disappear into

the background and it is very difficult to sort them out again after each shot. Now that I'm getting older and the eyes are changing, it's worse.

For years the orange front and white outline rear was the only way I could keep up with the pack. I shoot with several people who have no

problem at all with all black sights, which I think are the best choice for accurate shooting if you can see what you're doing. I had to drop out

of shooting matches altogether for a couple of years until I got these fiber optic sights. Now I am upgrading my skill level again and am almost

back where I was a few years ago. Also, I have found (for me) that focusing on the rear instead of the front makes both sights more in focus

and well defined and I can shoot higher scores that way. Plus it helps keep me from looking downrange at the target, and concentrate on the

alignment of front to rear sights. The target is a little out of focus, but not too much. With the fiber optics front and rear, I know where the

sights are every second and there is no more hunting for them after every shot. With all due respect - All the Best- Toolguy

I really like the sight picture of a green F/O but I had a problem this weekend at area 6 that may make me go back to red.

On the notorious "Field of Steel" stage we had a star that was backed up against a grass covered birm the plates were painted gold and I shot it first thing yesterday morning with sun shining right over my back.

I could not see my sight, I had to look for black around the F/O and look for green to disappear to figure out where to shoot. I got them all down but it took several extra shots.

Jerry shot it behind me he said he got the star one for one but there was also several poppers with the same back ground and he had problems with them.

I have a EGW on my 625 now and like it it is a good bit shorter and it is easier to replace the F/O rod.

• 4 years later...

On sdm's I have drilled the front end thru (measure your f/o rod for bit size). I use super glue on only the front of the replacement rod and push back thru to the rear so that the end of rod is fluch with the rear face of the sight. That way there is no big 'blob' of rod to contend with when looking at the sights. After the glue sets up use a razer knife to cut off the front of the rod. To replace next time, break in the middle and pull the rear out and use the drill bit to clean out the front hole to replace.

I got my fiber optic site from the Dillon Catalog. I do not remember who makes it, but it is the only one there. The thing is fantastic. Orange dot, and it really stands out. My gun is a 610, but they have sights that will fit all S&W revolvers, and I plan on ordering one for my 686.

Take care,

DM

+1 on the HiViz sights. I have the green on one and red on another. Both colors are very bright and work equally well for me. The thing that I like best is that fiber optic is encapsulated with a vision grade resin so it is very durable and the fiber material won't fall out or break.

Steve

Dang, Until I read this post I never noticed my SDM overhung. Obviously it is not a big deal to me or I would have seen it before.

I do drill through all my closed end fiber optic sights to make replacing the FO rod a 1 minute operation. I carry precut rods in my range bag along with a cigar lighter and finger nail clippers. I just heat one end, pull it in and clip and heat the other end. I usually end up doing it for other shooters more than for my own guns.

I have found I like a green front but I sometimes mark 1/2 of it with a black magic marker on top to quiet it down some so I will concentrate on the top of the blade on long or tight shots and not "shoot the dot" as I do close in.

I buy my FO here:http://www.fiberopticproducts.com/Flourescent.htm

post-12543-0-52314400-1341267897_thumb.j