Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Uspsa Match, Single Stack..worried About Breaking 180

Exiledviking

I am hoping to shoot my first USPSA match this coming Saturday.

I have been shooting the Steel matches and I REALLY like it.

I have been told a couple of times that I broke the 180 with the muzzle when I was

using my Safariland 561 holster. I have been shooting out of a Safariland

race holster lately.

I am worried about breaking the 180 at this match. How do you avoid this when

using a straight cant holster like the 561?

How do you avoid this when

using a straight cant holster like the 561?

I'm not trying to be a smarta$$ but "Muzzle awareness" is how you keep from breaking the 180. It is my opinion that if your holster does not allow you to safely draw the gun without breaking the 180 then you need to get a different holster.

I have a good friend who shoots an H&K USP and draws out of a 561 and never even comes close to breaking the 180.

You are just getting started. It's more important to slow down a little and make sure you are safe. Let the speed come. Be aware of you muzzle at all times and you won't have a problem.

Good luck and have fun.

When are you breaking the 180? When holstering or drawing?

Did you break the 180 on the draw by pointing the gun behind you? On the reholster?

Sorry! Yes! That is exactly what I did.

I am thinking I may have to spend some time with the holster and work

on bringing the gun into my side and then pivot it down into the holster.

Did you break the 180 on the draw by pointing the gun behind you? On the reholster?

Sorry! Yes! That is exactly what I did.

I am thinking I may have to spend some time with the holster and work

on bringing the gun into my side and then pivot it down into the holster.

DEFINITELY spend time with your equipment. Slow down if you have to. There should be no reason to break the 180 while reholstering. Have fun but be careful.

a lot of new shooters or people new to drawing a handgun from a holster..will come up only so far then roll their wrist to clear the top of the holster..the result is that they point the gun rearward...

best is to do a lot of slow dryfire to build in the muscle memory...hand on the gun, draw upward, but bring your hand AND gun up high enough that the muzzle will clear the top of the holster and let the muzzle lead the way to the target..not your hand...

do this correctly a few hundred times and you will begin to get the correct safe draw.

Wow, talk about a triple tap, three of us posted at the same instance.

I hate foward cant holsters because I don't like the muzzle to be pointed rearward at all. The rule that covers this allows a one meter fudge factor.

10.5.6 Allowing the muzzle of a loaded handgun to point rearward beyond a radius of 1 meter (3.28 feet) from a competitor’s feet during drawing or re-holstering.

As was mentioned, maintain constant awareness of the muzzle, and if the holster doesn't allow for safe re-holstering and drawing then I guess you will need to get another holster.