Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ghost Holster, Retention, And Jump Test

nontactical

I just bought an Ultimate Ghost Holster for my Limited gun, and I am trying to figure out the retention system. Can anyone tell me, if I go to a match and I am required to do the "jump test", can I do it with the lock lever on, or would the holster be unlocked and ready to draw? The instructions that came with the holster are not great, but after tinkering with it for a while, I just don't think there is any way to make it pass the jump test while unlocked. It would be no problem when it was locked, and when its unlocked I feel comfortable with the level of retention it gives me as far as a regular draw goes, but I really dont see any way to adjust the level of retention appreciably. I have played with the tiny white polymer screws, and I think that it is as secure as its going to get unless there is something that I am missing. Sheesh... Blade-Techs are so much less work!

I dunno what the "jump test" is. I've used a ghost for quite awhile, never had the gun fall out if the lever was in the locked position. I just unlock it when I LAMR, unless its some sort of weird start position then I may lock it when I put the loaded gun back in the holster.

I have no idea what you mean by a "jump test". Section 5.2 no longer has a holster retention requirement. Your concern should be can you make a turn (up range to down range) without the gun falling out or seated to standing. Houge has a holster that when it is unlocked the gun is held in by magnets.

Can anyone tell me, if I go to a match and I am required to do the "jump test", can I do it with the lock lever on, or would the holster be unlocked and ready to draw?

If there is a significant amount of movement before drawing the gun, then you should engage the lock-lever.

Even when the holster-test was part of the rules, there was no stipulation about locking levers.

To ensure that the holster will securely hold the gun in 'lock-down' mode; insert a full mag into the gun (but do not load a round into the chamber), lock the gun in the holster and run around like a mad thing for a few minutes, do a few twists/turns and sudden stops. If it holds the gun securely then you are good to go.

The holster test is still done at international matches. Yes, you want it locked. My pistol will come out of the holster if the holster is not locked. During the test, you are aloowed to have it locked. Hope this helps.

Can anyone tell me, if I go to a match and I am required to do the "jump test", can I do it with the lock lever on, or would the holster be unlocked and ready to draw?

If there is a significant amount of movement before drawing the gun, then you should engage the lock-lever.

Even when the holster-test was part of the rules, there was no stipulation about locking levers.

To ensure that the holster will securely hold the gun in 'lock-down' mode; insert a full mag into the gun (but do not load a round into the chamber), lock the gun in the holster and run around like a mad thing for a few minutes, do a few twists/turns and sudden stops. If it holds the gun securely then you are good to go.

Whether we have a jump test or not in USPSA if you read about Frank Garcia'z Florida Open you will see that one particular stage tested many holsters and many failed and people were DQ'd over loosing their loaded weapons.

Lock it and then test it with an unloaded gun and see what kind of results that you get.

Rick

I used to unlock and keep unlocked on the LAMR command. Now I LAMR put the pistol back in the holster, lock it down and draw from a locked holster. Just practice drawing from a locked holster in little or no time you won't even notice you are unlocking on the draw and your gun stays secure. Besides, I would sacrifice a little speed for a retained gun.

I used to unlock and keep unlocked on the LAMR command. Now I LAMR put the pistol back in the holster, lock it down and draw from a locked holster. Just practice drawing from a locked holster in little or no time you won't even notice you are unlocking on the draw and your gun stays secure. Besides, I would sacrifice a little speed for a retained gun.

Will doing this eventually wear out the locking mechanism???? Never used a ghost but like the look of them.

Flyin40

do you mean retention test?. I encountered once before from our local match and I have to tighten the lever tension to it's maximum with other brand of holster but gave me a problem when drawing the gun. NOw With ghost, I don't have any problem. I can draw with or without lever lock smoothly.

By the way, my spring tension broke few days ago and I just replaced the with the ballpen spring.

A person could do cartwheels and not lose their gun with the Ghost locked.

If folks got DQed at the Fla Open because their guns fell out, then it was a shooter problem, not a holster problem. A permanent feature of the Ghost is the warning: "Expert Shooter Only". So.......if a shooter can't figure out that they need to lock the holster before major movement, then they just need to look in a mirror to see the problem.

I've never had a problem using an old style Ghost for several years, and my wife hasn't for the year she's been shooting (not an Expert for sure, but not stupid either). I've used an Ultimate Ghost here lately with my Glock 35 with no problems.

The Guga Ribas I normally use is perhaps better than the Ghost since you can crank down the tension like a Safariland if you want to keep it unlocked when movement before the draw is required. I've never used it since any stage that requires movement before the draw gives me plenty of time to unlock the holster when I do draw. Love the Guga, but couldn't see spending extra for a feature I don't use, so I bought the Ultimate Ghost for the Glock. Will always use the Guga for my Para.