Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G35 Kaboom

Keith

This is a new one to me.

Had a friend drop by my place last night to have me look at his G35. He was trying out a new load and apparently one of them was a little too hot. The empty was still in the chamber and was bulged and split at the base of the case. Everything else looked intact (including the shooter who stated that it blew the mag out of the gun) When I started taking it apart I realized that something was missing. The extractor was not where it should be. It had infact blown the extractor out of the gun. Anyone else heard of this happening?

It is a stock gun with the only mods being a RS trigger I installed for him a few weeks ago.

I can believe the extractor could be blown out considering how it is designed. It's held in place by that spring-loaded plunger rod.

Glad there were no injuries.

I recall reading about somebody who was new to reloading thought "grains" was the same as "grams" and loaded up some ammo so hot it blew apart a new 1911.

• 2 months later...
I think that's SOP for a Glock blowing up. Glad nobody was hurt.

I just had my Glock 35 explode in a kaboom today. I had a stock barrel and had put about 1000 factory rounds through it this summer...so I decided to read up and start reloading.

I loaded once fired Winchester brass, Titegroup 4.4g, 180 grain jacketed Speer bullets, OAL 1.125", as many have suggested here.

The first ten rounds were great. I was happy with the grouping. Then KABOOM!!!

It blew the mag out, broke the mag catch, which exploded into my right hand, and knocked the gun out of my hands. My hands were really stinging, but all my digits were thankfully still attached and undamaged.

The case had a hole at the case head (where it is unsupported in the chamber?) and split the chamber. Luckily, I had just received a KKM match barrel and had not used it yet.

My first thought was that there may have been a double charge. So I went to weigh the remaining rounds I loaded. Most were within a grain total weight of each other. A couple were a couple grains less, and a few were over 4 grains heavier than the lightest loaded round.

So I weighed the empty deprimed cases waiting to be loaded. I found the same weight variances in the empty cases. I pulled the bullets in the heavier bullets and weighed the powder. They were all 4.3-4.4g. I deprimed the cases and found that the empty cases were heavier than others.

SO...I can't measure the loaded rounds to see if there is a double charge because if there is a lighter case with a double charge, it will weigh the same as a single charge in a heavy case, which makes me nervous of the heavier cases.

OR...was it the Glock and the new KKM barrel will fix this?

Any thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

My 35 blew up last fall about 2 weeks before the 3 gun nationals, it had maybe 350 rds. through it. It went in the middle of a mag, sent the extractor into orbit and split the chamber down both sides. The case walls were there but the case head was gone. Probably a bad case.

Probably a bad case.

Sounds more like a heavy charge or bullet setback - you generally don't get chambers coming apart from blown cases (though you'll still get "rapid unloading", and potential damage to some other parts with a blown case)....