Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

They Still Don't Know We Are There

AzShooter

I showed up to an old club last night that is well established in our area. They start at 7 p.m. so that people have a chance to get home from work, have dinner and then make it to the range for normally 4 good steel stages under the lights.

This past weekend the main rain held a shooting day and had people from each sports even set up stages throughout the facility for people to try. I was told that the Practical Range had over 1000 new shooters checkin out what we take for granted as they were presented with a set of 6 falling Poppers, a Texas Star and a set of Bianchi plates.

We had some new shooters show up Thursday to try the match for the first time. Some didn't have all their equipment, since it had been provided on the weekend they thought the club would provide it. Others missed enough ammo or holders or holsters but stuck around for the new shooter's briefing and to see some ot the club's best shooters including a couple of Grand Masters.

People kept pointing at me and asking their friends " Can you really do this with a revolver?"

I spent some time explaining why I shoot the revolver and how much fun I have with it. I also got a few converts not only from the new people that already had revos and now wouldn't have to go buy an auto to start but some of the limited and open shooters mentioned they wanted to try it out as well. Seems like people are recognizing us.

Throughout the match I had 6 shooters ask to play with my 625 in the safety area and ask about what equipment they would need. Hopefully in the next few months they will be die hards like me and learn to enjoy USPSA with a wheel gun.

One of the local Sheriffs departments built a new indoor range recently and they decided to form an informal action type pistol league utilizing the automated turning targets. Last night was the first night. Now, I had really swore off shooting at indoor ranges but I had a chance to use it while teaching a class last weekend and it is a really nice range. The best, cleanest, indoor range I have seen in MN to be honest.

For the first night the course of fire was the departments pistol qualifying course of fire that the deputies must shoot quarterly. At one point you are required to shoot 8 rounds in 18 seconds at 15 yards at which point the head RO/dept instructor looked at me. Looked at my revolver (625). And said,"you're gonna have problems with this string." :lol: I was able to keep a straight face.

At one point you are required to shoot 8 rounds in 18 seconds at 15 yards at which point the head RO/dept instructor looked at me. Looked at my revolver (625). And said,"you're gonna have problems with this string."
Dang...Even I can do that, with a M13 and HKS speedloaders and factory .357s, and I've been successfully timed with a sundial. :rolleyes:

I have gone into recruiting mode this year. I bought a couple used revolvers suitable for IDPA and I am loaning them out with gear to new shooters.

I did some indoor Gallery shooting this year to get back to basics. (You should see the looks open sight revolvers get in that league :blink: ) One woman I was shooting with wants to "Try IDPA" I am setting her up with a 66, holster, speed loaders, and enough training to make her comfortable. Another new Revo shooter in tha making.

WATCH OUT SQUIBBY :lol::lol::lol:

Achtung !!! The virus is spreading !!!

Last Sunday at my local IDPA match in Easton, PA out of 41 shooters 5 were revolver shooters (all ESR) It felt great !

I haven't gotten into USPSA yet, the reason being that I've been checking the two clubs that hold USPSA matches close to my house in NJ, and looking at match results I noticed that ocasionally one or maybe two revolver shooters show up to either club.

Is USPSA a little too intimidating perhaps? I would really love to get into USPSA to the point that I even bought a Glock 17 (awfully sorry guys) I compete for fun, yes, but I have not met anybody who plays a game to loose (well, maybe the NY Mets do)

What I mean is: shooting in a class by myself will take a lot of the motivational aspect away from me. Unless you suggest something else. ;)

xuxupecheur, we all feel your confusion.

Some of us will compete in L10 if there are no other Revo's. Depending on the course it's not Always a huge disadvantage.

If you have a Revo try running it, once in a while. You may lure some others in.

It's just so much fun!

But if you do go with the Glock, we will still talk to you.

Another option is to get classified in Revo, then shoot a "Big" match, say the "Summer Blast" they're trying to get 20 so Slots to the Nationals will be given out. Ever want to go to the Nationals? Revo may be your best chance.

xuxupecheur,

Man if anyone knows how you feel it is me!

I shot my local IDPA matches as the only Wheelgunner for almost a year.

Most Folks don't shoot USPSA with a wheel because they are intimidated by the unlimited number of shots. And that not many others are out there.

For USPSA......I just bit the bullet and started with my 610 I was using for IDPA. My personal goal was to learn how to use the BRT effeciently not nessesarily competitively......Until I started climbing the match results and started hearing....

"Man I let a dude with a revolver beat me! :angry: " :):P:D that was like pouring gas on a fire! ;)

Now days I'm still not very good with one of them things but still shot 61% of the match winner the other day(Open shooter) after not even touching one in 6 months. :)

Now back on the Subject......

Back last year has some "spectators" show up to see what this "Action Pistol" stuff was all about. They saw my 625 and started asking all kinds of questions.....

What is that?

What caliber?

Isn't it hard to compete with it?

Ect. Ect.....

I guess most of you have heard it, but is still makes me smile when they ask. :)

Hopalong

Edit because I sometimes Kant Spell!

Edited by hopalong

A revolver always gets spectators talking. It seems to be a more common gun and must seem simple compared to the exotic autos. It's something they can easily relate to.

We had an IPSC demo going at the range's annual meeting this past March and a lot of guys wanted to know about the revolvers. Oh, and some were even amazed at B'wana's fast reloads. I didn't tell him because he'd get a big head. B)

Like pskys2 says, "Lure 'em in". Stand tall, whip those bottom feeders. I shot 42% of a Limited GM yesterday, beating 5 autos in the process. Works for me. Bringing my revo out this year has enticed three other local club members to bring theirs out.

Glenn,

42% of Bryant is pretty impressive!!! :):):)

I think somebody has been practicing......Or hiding in the bushes....

HOP

Edit because I STILL kant spell :-(

Edited by hopalong

I think somebody has been practicing......Or hiding in the bushes....

Or both :lol:

Thanks for the encouragement. It was only good enough for 2nd revo, Wayne Alcock was 50% of Bryant. Wayne had it together. I plan to get more trigger time with him this weekend in Poplarville. Pat you want to go?

Need...to...knock...some...more...rust...off...limber...up...those joints...get more rest, load some more ammo.