Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cz75sa Vs. Xd Tactical

chrisjohn

Okay, think I have finally found a buyer for my Glock 19, so will have enough money to fund a production weapon. I’ve got multiple single stack .45s and wanted to get either a 9x19 or .40, double stack. I have considered the CZ75 SA and S.A.’s XD tactical. Spare parts are hard to get for both and I’m not crazy about a Glock 34/35 due to the trigger, grip angle, and the need to purchase a replacement barrel right out of the gate to shoot reloads. Point me in the right direction.

The CZ 75SA is not legal for production. You could get one in 40 for limited 10. If you want a CZ for Production get a CZ 75/85/SP-01.

Of course the argument is that the Glock and the XD are legal for Production because the striker is retracked just a little bit by the trigger pul. Neither allows for a second strike if the primer does not ignite. Now, if you watch the hammer on a CZ 75SA it does retract a little bit before it is released. Maybe, using the same logic that they did for the XD, the CZ75SA should be legal for production. :-)

I vote XD

Mags are reasonable 22 ea

Lots of sight and holster options

Supported chamber

With a canyon creek trigger job you can have the best Production gun around.

I have owned four of them all have been 100% after some minor chamber polishing on one didn't like to feed my reloads

I had and used both in Production and ended up with the stock CZ-85 Combat that I still use now. I had an XD9 (5" barrel) that was fully modded by Canyon Cr. with a 2.5lb trigger, Dawson Precesion FO sights front and rear, extended mag release and the Tungsten insert in the guide rod. The XD was very good, probably capable of better speed for me right now. But , I just didn't warm up to striker fired guns. I hate having to keep my thumb low on the grip to avoid hitting and actuating the slide catch, which caused premature lock back on many occasions. The low thumb grip seemed to result in more muzzle flip. The XD seemed to have a high center of gravity which also contributed to muzzle flip and didn't seem stable in my hand. The springy trigger felt weird.

The CZ works for me ergonomically and seems heavier with a lower CG which works better for my somewhat unsteady hand. The DA trigger is the drawback (with the CZ) and I'm struggling with that now.

I decided to get completely away from striker fireds. Someday I'd like to compete with a 1911 but I don't reload now so the 45 is a bit cost prohibitive for me now. The thumb safety on the CZ allows me the same grip as the 1911 so I like that.

I think mag changes were much better with the XD and I really miss that. The XD mags always dropped easily and rapidly and they don't always with the CZ. The slick plastic (XD well) allowed for much more rapid insertion as well.

Edited by Eager

these are two very good guns for USPSA production..

the XD tactical can be tricked out to be really really nice..and people are doing well with..

my current favorite is the CZ75 SP01..gun is well balanced..fits that hand very well..easy on reloads, good beavertail, cheap mags, you can get good sights for it and have a really trick trigger job on it. gun is accurate and shoots about every bullet I have tried.

remember..there are lots of other good choices that people are havin success with..Glocks, Sigs, Smiths

It seems to me that the longer sight radius on the XD tactical would make a much better pistol than the SPO1.

Why can't the CZ75 SA go into production, it's a production model? Are SA autos automatically dumped into limited? even for USPSA?

Why can't the CZ75 SA go into production, it's a production model? Are SA autos automatically dumped into limited? even for USPSA?

Hmmm? You're right.

Why don't you just ask them to change their rules.

:lol:

Edited by Eager

As previously stated the CZ75sa is out because it is a single action gun. There are alot of good choices out there, the XD, Sig 226 in stainless, of course Glocks, Beretta Elites, S&W models and of course the CZ's.

For the money you cannot beat the CZ. But out of the box the triggers usually stink, very heavy, and lot of creep in single action. And you would most likely need or want to get a good trigger job on it.

I recently purchased a CZ SP01 tactical (decocker version) and had Angus Hobdell do a sight change and trigger job on it (Matt Mink does the same work as well). I also purchased as a back up to this a CZ 85b and have been using it to shoot Production while I waited for my SP01 to come back.

Out of the box the S&W's, Sig's and Beretta's are going to have better triggers, but for me the CZ's felt better in my hand.

Especially the SP01 with the upswept beavertail. It points like a 1911 for me, the slide sits lower and it feels better. The easiest way for me to explain the way it feels is like a 1911 with a long trigger and arched mainspring housing.

I have attached pictures to show the difference between the two models.

Obvious are the sights, but also look at the beavertails, the slide release, the mag release, the curve of the trigger, also look at the frame behind the trigger, look how much higher and deeper it is cut back. All that with the beavertail really allows you to get up nice and high on your grip.

post-2563-1143665983.jpgpost-2563-1143666020.jpgpost-2563-1143666030.jpg[attac

ment=4344:attachment]post-2563-1143666073.jpgpost-2563-1143666097.jpg

post-2563-1143666042.jpg

post-2563-1143666198.jpg

I use the XD 9 Tactical and am very happy with it (CC trigger job & Dawson sights). The striker type trigger did take me awhile to get used to it. After about 4k rounds the XD is getting smoother & better. The XD has been a great gun. The CZ 75 Sp01 does seem like a good Production option though. Try out both at a match first then buy.

Before I forget to ask......Whats a good price for a new CZ 75 SP01???

Both are good choices. They have about the same grip angle, approximating a 1911's. They're about the same price, as are the mags for them, and both will need new sights and a trigger job for competition.

I prefer the CZ for the accuracy. It's common for CZs to be able to shoot under 2" at 25 yards with the factory barrel. I'm also a traditionalist and prefer a steel gun. I've had good luck getting parts I needed from CZ-USA, as well as warranty service when the slide stop broke (my only problem). The similarity to the 1911's controls (safety and mag release) is nice to those of us raised on JMB's creation.

I think the Springfield is the best of the available polymer guns, and it would serve you well, but for me the CZ is the better of the two.

Edited by revchuck

Before I forget to ask......Whats a good price for a new CZ 75 SP01???

I have seen prices anywhere from $529 to $599 and the new Shadow model is listed at $749, it comes with better sights, suppossed to be better trigger and walnut grips.

I got mine back in November really before the demand was starting. I paid $520 and then sent it to Angus for sights, hammer and trigger. With new CR speed belt, 4CR speed mag holders, 4 additional mags w/base pads, grips, Blade-Tech holster, Gun and gunsmith work I am right about $1100. I also bought the CZ85b as a backup for $379, which works in the Blade-Tech.

I own an XD tactical 40, and a CZ75B-SA. I much prefer the CZ75B. In fact, I like it so much I sent it off to Matthew Mink to get my SA converted to a double action gun. I can't wait to get it back! That CZ is a tac driver! I could use it in the IDPA ESP division, but that was it. When I get it back from Matt, I'll be able to use is in several divisions. That CZ shoots so well and has minimal percieved recoil, and points very naturally.

I'd go CZ all the way.

Is the recoil on the CZ that much lighter than the XD? .40 or 9x19?

For me there's really no difference in recoil. The difference is that the CZ has a low center of gravity and has more weight and allows a better grip all adding to a more stable gun that allows better shot placement/accuracy. The XD tended to "shake" more in my hands.

I can only speak for the XD side of things since I've never handled a CZ but... I run an xd-40 Tact with a 16lb recoil spring and loads that run about 140pf. There's also some Canyon Creek fine tuning on the trigger along with Bo-Mars that Rich installed. It is smooth, flat, and fast; I wouldn't trade it for any other production gun I've tried. The boar axis is a little high and there is the parts issue right now if you're a do it yourself'er. Overall though I think the XD is a fine choice.

Probably the best advice is to try to handle both pistols and see which one fits you the best which is how I ended up deciding on the XD.

Shot both this weekend and the CZ is it is. Ran both with Blazer and the CZ seemed to have much less recoil, better accuracy, and equal trigger pull to the CC worked over XD.

Wow - I didn't realize that you could get the trigger so nice on a CZ. I've felt some very good triggers from some names-you'd-recognize shooters, but the reset was still very long.

How was the reset on the CZ trigger felt? Thanks.

Shot both this weekend and the CZ is it is. Ran both with Blazer and the CZ seemed to have much less recoil, better accuracy, and equal trigger pull to the CC worked over XD.

SEEEEEEEEEEEEEE, I told you... :D

To be honest I was paying more attention to how the pistol felt in my hand and recoiled than the trigger reset. The CZ certainly had a MUCH longer amount of takeup (pull?) than the XD or especially a 1911 style trigger, reset seemed okay, not so long I noticed it. I'm in central arkansas and the example I fired had been worked over my Matthew Mink. My gunsmith seems to think that the CZs react well to work and a 2.0 lbs SA pull shouldn't be hard to achieve. Nothing comes close to a well set up 1911 SA trigger.

CZ all the way. Buy them before everybody realizes how neat they are the price jumps. Already happened with the XD.