Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Building A Lim. Glock With A Ccf Frame?

Newguy

I've been toying with the idea of building a Lim. Glock using the new CCF frame. The steel version weighs 21 oz. which puts a glock in a similar weight category as a 2011. These frames have adjustable backstraps, including a 1911 strap that gets rid of the Glock hump and supposedly emulates 1911 ergonomics. It should also considerably shorten the trigger reach.

The CCF steel frame costs $290 ($12 for a 1911 backstrap) plus another $310 for a G24 or 35 slide (from Glockmeister), bringing the total to $612. This doesn't include the barrel, internal parts or the sights.

Here's my logic. Many people buy a $550-$600 G35 or a $600 G24 and swap out the barrel to shoot lead or polymer coated reloads. They also swap out the internals if they buy a Vanek or Sotelo trigger system, and replace the factory sights with Dawson or Heinie's. The original parts become useless. Why pay for parts relegated to the parts bin?

In the end, it would cost as much to build a FrankenGlock using the CCF steel frame and a Glock slide, giving you a heavier and more competitive gun. BTW, CCF claims their steel or alloy frames makes for a better trigger pull than polymer Glock frames. The biggest problem may be finding a mag well, but since the frame is steel, I'm guessing one could be welded in place.

Anyway, it's an idea I'm playing with.

Sounds like a great idea. I was thinking of doing the same thing but CCF isnt releasing any of their frames until June, which is way too far out, if you ask me. The shooting season will be damn near half over for me here in the Michigan.

Hey, if you can get one with a steel frame and 1911 grip angle I might buy one.. :) Put a Vanek trigger in it and it might then become a great truck gun...don't know about competition, but a Great turck gun... :P

Edited by tightloop

Applicable rule (Limited and L-10)...

16. Any complete handgun or components produced by a factory and available to the general public for one year and 500 produced. Prototypes are specifically not allowed.

Edited by Flexmoney

Not unless CCF decides to produce the whole gun. And then glock would be all over them.

Since they have been around since the early 80's I would have thought that their original patent would have expired and the design would be fair game.

Flex: How does an STI frame with a Caspian slide get by in Lim? Or using a Caspian race ready frame since they don't produce full guns?

Its the "or component" part thats the loop hole.... a Caspian slide is a component... an STI frame (or this new steel glock frame) is a component..... you can put them together on the same gun, as long as 500 were made, for over a year, and avail to the public for each component - its still an STI, its just wearing a different brand slide.

As soon as the 1 year, and 500 mark are surpassed on this new steel glock frame, it should be legal for Lim or -Lim-10. But still not for Production.

I wonder if Glock will ever offer a interchangable backstrap like the CCF or the new S&W M&P.

My guess is it would sell very well and many people who don't shoot Glocks because of the grip angle would try them.

I spoke to Larry at CCF the other day. He said that the only US patent Glock has left is on a relatively insignificant trigger part. He said that there shouldn't be any issues with Glock, although they have sent several letters threatening to sue. It doesn't sound like they have any teeth though. After talking to Larry it seems like he's got a pretty good idea what he's doing. There was talk of complete guns but that's still a ways out.

If CCF ruffles Glock's feathers and gets them off their butts, it'll be doing the company a big favor. Glock is resting on its laurels and it's long-in-the-tooth compared to other polymers. Unless they modernize their design it won't be long before they start losing market share.

Lousy ergonomics compared to the XD, M&P and Steyr, cheap plastic sights, poor out-of-the-box trigger, and barrels that won't shoot lead make Glocks a poor bargain compared to other polymers. Reliability is great, but that's also true for other polymers with equally good builds, adjustable backstraps and better sights and triggers. All for roughly the same price.

Unlike some folks, I have no loyalty to Glocks. The only reason I shoot them is because of the availability of high quality aftermarket parts like Dawson sights, Vanek, Sotelo and various trigger parts; mag wells, and aftermarket barrels. For me, it is not what Glock is, but what I can make it into. Unfortunately, that comes with a high price tag. Replacing the sights, trigger parts and a barrel that will shoot lead/polymer bullets can add almost $400 to the price of a Glock. At least two of them -- sights and barrel -- would be unnecessary if Glock listened.

If CCF comes up with a better mousetrap I'm on board. If the S&W comes up with a 5" or 6" M&P I'll switch in a heartbeat.