Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Day By Day

vluc

Had that happen to a nicely endowed lady pistol team shooter that I was giving some coaching. She happened to be wearing a low cut tank top at the time. She dropped the loaded .45 as she bent down trying to dislodge the empty case. She had a hard time understanding why I was upset about the dropped pistol. "But it was burning" she said. Except for the dropped pistol it was kind of funny.

:P I shot a stage that ended in a seated position and ended up with a hot piece of brass down my tank top. As soon as I was holstered I stepped back and pulled my shirt down to get the brass out because it was HOT and I knew I had a pretty bad burn. When the guys saw the burns on my chest they all asked me why I didn't stop to avoid that kind of burn....my response..."I wasn't done shooting the stage yet!" So....NOT all of us will drop a gun to get hot brass out!!!

I had a hot shell go down my front in the middle of a timed stage at a match one night (it went down a turtle-neck... can you believe it??!!) I toughed it out, let it blister the boobs and aced the target. A good score was worth more at that moment than digging down the front of my sweater and making a scene. B) I did make loud noises when it was over, though. ;):lol:

I've caught hot brass twice. This one time, at band camp....a case flipped up and landed in the space between my shooting glasses and my eyebrow. The other time was at a DCM match (when I was trying to get a garand) on one of the long relays. I was laying prone and the guy next to me kicked brass down the back of my shirt. That left a bad burn on my neck. What?! You didn't think I'd actually stop shooting did you? :D At the classes in San Diego, it was a regular thing to mention the hot brass dance during the orientation. With sometimes 40 plus shooters on the line it was inevitable to see someone do the "hot hot hoochie coochie" dance. Never saw anyone drop a gun though....thankfully....

Sometimes hot brass down the front of the shirt will help your shooting. You go much faster and your focus narrows considerably. Both stages were among my best. :) The RO said, "I was wondering if you were going to dig for the brass or keep shooting." Nasty little red mark on my boobs, though.

L

An old shooter a long time ago told me that by the time you feel the hot brass and can react to it, it is too late and you've already been burned. I tend to agree with him, but believe that if you can dislodge it fast enough you won't be burned quite so bad. I once had a .22 empty lodge under my glasses on my cheek near my lower eyelid while I was shooting a timed or rapid fire string. I kept on shooting, but I believe that I did pick up the speed a bit. Worst burn was an empty .30-06 case on the back of my neck during a prone rapid 300 yard match.