Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Clarification For Hard Cover

KKE888

In the IPSC Handgun rule 2006, a new supplement to the rule 4.1.4.1 stating that "Whole paper targets must not be used solely as hard cover."

What does it exactly mean? Paper targets refer to scoring paper target or penalty paper target? Thanks.

Since that is an IPSC Only rule at this time & USPSA has not published new rules(maybe by 2007) my answer is a best guess WAG.

I would guess they are trying to eliminate using a paper target that does not provide either: a. a score or b. a penalty. Since they stipulated paper, this would not prevent the use of a steel IPSC target as hard cover.

In IPSC every target is a scoring target. Some just score negative points. ;) IIRC, the idea is to stop people cheaping out and using targets where they should use barricades or other vision barriers.

Let's see, if we put up a steel hard cove, so that we have real HC, we need to be back 7 yards. A wall that conceals partially a target may splinter off pieces and present a different view as the match goes onl unless we regularly change edge strips.

But, a target, painted black, placed to obscure a target from a particlualr angle, that requires no more than a piece of tape to repair, that can be placed 3 feet from a shooting position without endangering the shooter, that cost $0.40 as opposed to $100.00 is not allowed.

Makes one wonder who owns a steel target company.

If I set up exactly the same COF but use a NS, it is a good stage, but if I paint it balck, it is NG.

Anyone like ot explain??

Jim

I don't think there's a problem with sticking up a black square of cardboard, you just can't use a full target for whatever reason.

I think non-penetrable hard cover is where it's at for any kind of major match, but we live with black paint anyway.

I know, it's Vince's well-known anti-ninja bias. :o What else could a target all dressed in black kevlar be??? :ph34r:

Shred,

Lets see, I CAN take a piece of cardboard, the size and shape of a target and paint it black, but I CANNOT just paint a target black?

I understand this, I also have the cure for all known ills and a way to eliminate income taxes.

OK, I actually do understand the truly non-penatrable HC is the best way to run, but that is not in the reach of many local clubs for a monthly match.

But My opinion, the rule is bad.

Jim

Again...this being a IPSC rule and not a USPSA rule...but we've already got something that says this:

4.2.4.4 Hard cover must not completely obscure the highest scoring

zone on a partially hidden paper target.

If you've got a paper target with hard cover based on 4.2.4.3 (By painting or taping the portion of the target deemed to be hidden by hard cover a single and visibly contrasting color) then some part of the A-zone has to remain visible.

If you comply with 4.2.4.4...then "whole paper targets must not be used solely as hard cover " is already covered (to use a bad pun!)

I suspect, from what I've read of Vince's and others' opinions regarding free standing penalty targets, that the intent behind the rule is to eliminate the possibility of the scoring nightmare that might result from shoot-throughs.

I find it interesting, that the solution to the problem, in this case, is to pass a rule, rather than making this in the form of a suggestion, or part of an essay on the topic of Pitfalls in Stage Design, and incorporating that in the club program manual.

Kinda similar to some of the lawmaking that goes on in state houses and congress --- where the "Oh, this might become a problem, we better pass a law against it, before analyzing the probability of occurence" thought process drives some less than perfect legislation.....