Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Want To Try My Hand At Revolver

1911jerry

I would like to try my hand at the revolver in competition. What are the advantages of a SW625 vs a PC627?

Is an action job necessary? If yes, could someone recommend somebody or just send it into the SW guys?

I just read the FAQ's. Would like to know what else is desireable to have done to the revo before I get serious. I would like to send it in only one time and have everything done.

How many moon clips do you guys use at a match?

Federal Primers - which model?

Any links that will assit me?

Thanks

jerry

1911Jerry,

Welcome-keep coming towards the light :D

The majority of USPSA wheelgunners shoot a 625. The round count prior to reload in revolver division is six. The 625 has nice large holes in the cylinder for easier reloads. You can shoot an out of the box 625 but you'll likely want a trigger job, a bit of chamfering on your charge holes and maybe a fiber optic front sight.

The 627 is a superb revolver but holds 8 rounds-now you'd really need to count to six. The charge holes are smaller and factory .38 Spc makes ~95 PF (out of mine).

Randy Lee is a member here and is a superb revolver smith. You can send it to him for all your modifications.

I use Federal large pistol primers. I use a home made moonclip rack consisting of a board with 12 dowel posts. Each dowel holds four loaded moonclips. That gives me 288 rounds in my bag. I use a Shooters Connection Tournement bag. The holder fits in the small inner bag.

For links or resources, all the info you are likely to need is in the revolver section of this forum.

Good Luck,

Dave

I would like to try my hand at the revolver in competition. What are the advantages of a SW625 vs a PC627?

Is an action job necessary? If yes, could someone recommend somebody or just send it into the SW guys?

I just read the FAQ's. Would like to know what else is desireable to have done to the revo before I get serious. I would like to send it in only one time and have everything done.

How many moon clips do you guys use at a match?

Federal Primers - which model?

Any links that will assit me?

Thanks

jerry

The 625 is currently THE MACHINE for USPSA (IPSC). The 627 would be your first choice for ICORE. Which one you choose (first) will depend on your interests to some degree, but I think you should choose the gun that gives you the most opportunities to shoot. Check your local area, but that will probably mean a 625. The 625 in 4" can also be used in IDPA, but I don't play that game so perhaps some others will comment.

An action job is not absolutely necessary although most of us get one or do one fairly soon. If you have some mechanical inclination, a stage one action job is pretty simple and you may choose to do it yourself. At higher levels you may want a professional. I personally don't recommend S&W for competetive improvements because that's not the nature of the business they're in. Right now, Randy Lee is considered the top of the heap around here.

What else to do? I don't think there is a pat answer because this is the realm of personal preference. Many folks want different sights (fiber optics are popular) but there are several other mods that have pro's and con's. Your best bet is to get a stock 625, start shooting it, and figure out what you like from there. You'll need to put several miles on any new gun regardless just to make sure of what you've got as a starting point. If it's a new gun you'll want it fixed or replaced by S&W if it has any defects before you start investing your money in it.

How many moons? Take the total round count and divide by 6 :P This coming weekend the round count at the Double Tap Championship is 330 minimum. I'll take about 450 rounds mooned up (maybe a few more) for about 75 moons made up and spun in the gun before match day. Moon clips for the 625 are cheap, they are a bit more expensive for the 627. I own 100's of moon clips.

The Federal primers are number 150's.

Your best assistance is right here so set your bookmark.

625 for IPSC is the best bet. After you do what the others say invest in a bunch of ammo and go out and shoot. After 1000 or so rounds you may find the grip style you like. Then if you want to change your grips there are lots of choices.

On the 625 with Major loads I use Pachmeyer decelerator grips because they help take up the recoil and make it feel about the same as my 627 with wood grips on it.

Settle in on a good load that makes 170 power factor and will group well out to 25 yards. If you can shoot all As slow fire at 25 yards you have a decent load. With IPSC you will be shooting faster than that but at least you know your gun has the capability to shoot all As if you slow down.

Hi Jerry, You have come to the right place to be enlightened about "real" I mean wheelguns. Everybody has their own way of doing things, I shoot a 610 in .40S&W mainly because I have tons of brass and shoot a Para16-40 also. I use a tackle box that has dividers in it to hold loaded moonclips at matches. Plano and others have them. Just slow down if you have been shooting bottomfeeders, and enjoy.

Jerry go with what the Local guys say on a gun smith. but like any Toy you have to decide what you want to do with it. If you like Steel Challenge a 627 is much more fun than a 6 shot. If you plan to shoot Revo in IPSC = I do not much understand why .

I shoot Revo and Auto fairly good I am much more competative with a Rev. than an Auto.

The REv will help you be a better Auto shooter.

Find a game you like first before you get new gear.

Try Steel Challenge it is even up for Rev and Auto yo only give up time on the first shot to get your grip after that the rev is just as fast.

But I may not know anything, but I do have a 610 that is gathering dust and my 627 stays worm :D

Jamie Foote :D