Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullet Weight For Major Load

Dusty

I was wondering if anyone uses lighter bullets going faster in the .45 acp? Most loading data I have seen uses 230gr. for making major power loads. Is there a disadvantage to using light bullets, say 200gr. going faster to make major vs. slow heavy bullets?

I shot mostly 200's when I was shooting a 45. They are snappier in recoil, and for me take a little longer to recover for the next shot. I shot them because I could get them a lot cheaper. The 230 feels softer, and comes back a little quicker for me.

230 is the way to go IMO unless you get a great deal on 200's.

The current wisdom favors heavier bullets with the fastest powders that can safely push them to major.

The reason is that there are physics formulas for force and energy that indicate at equal power factors a heavier bullet recoils less than a lighter one.

There is some debate about the validity of this (next to shooting, debate seems to be our favorite sport) but it is generally accepted as true.

Tls

I'm playing with 230's and I'm ready to go back to something lighter.

But before I do that I need to get serious with trying recoil springs.

I agree with the theory of heavy bullets in a limited gun, but think something in the 1000 FPS range is the way to go for non-static targets.

I shoot open so I don't know why I drive myself

crazy thinking about loading 45ACP. :rolleyes:

FM

Edited by Front Man

I've shot both 200 and 230gr. As far as one being an advantage over the other, I couldn't decide.

I finally quit thinking about it and just took TGO's advice. So, I shoot the 230gr. now.

Each weight does feel different. But the results in the long run have been equal for me.

Finding the right recoil spring was a different story though.