Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Would You Shoot It?

Keith

Seems a little quite in here. (and it's a slow day at work)

So, here's a question.

We had our first USPSA match of the year last Saturday at the club I am MD for. We ran a couple of speed shoots in one bay. One of them had two full size poppers, 4 US poppers, and one disapearing IPSC target. Stand in the box and shoot them kind of thing. The steel was lined up in a row 8 yards from the box with the disapearing target centered in the array. The two big poppers were on either side of the drop turner with the popper directly to of the right of the DT activating the drop turner. So 8 possible shots and a total of 40 possible points if you get two hits on the drop turner. Being a disapearing target you don't get penalized for misses on the drop turner.

I shot Limited instead of Revolver at this match cuz I knew the range was going to be muddy and I'd rather drop a couple of Glock mags in the mud as opposed to 30 or so moonclips.

It got me to thinking on how I would have shot this stage shooting a wheelgun. Take the 6 steel and forget about the drop turner? (and hope I don't miss any steel) Or go for the drop turner and the extra 10 points?

Thoughts from the wheelgunners?

(and yes, it was my course design) :rolleyes:

No question--I'd run the 6 steel and forget the drop turner.

10 points is a lot to sacrifice on a 40-point stage, but I'm sure I couldn't reload and get in the extra shots in time to improve the hit factor.

Plus--steel lined up all nice and neat like that remind me of bowling pins!

You're right, Mike. That would have been my plan, too. The only thing that was making me wonder is that there is only 6 rounds for 6 steel. That's where the disaster factor could come into play. Would someone just figure they are going to miss a piece of steel and already have a reload worked into their plan because they figure they are gonna half to reload anyway, why not get 10 bonus points while we're at it? Although it's a little hard to call them bonus points when you're already behind.

Edited by Keith

The way I miss steel, I would start on the opposite side of the activator and go at it. If I got to the activator without missing then finish the steel and leave the turner. If I missed, hit the turner, reload, and finish up.

If it was a money match (or I'm shootin' the Revo in L10), skip it.

If it was a club match, man if it's there I like to try!

How many Production/L10/PSS guys shot straight across and still were able to pick up the DT? Did they push it and go for 3 steel after the Activator, play it safe and go for 2? Just curious.

Any sunshine up there yet?

How about this one. 25 rounds.

Open door which activates a clamshell w/noshoot ending up covering all but the head, a clear target next to it both at 10 yards. Looking to the left thru the doorway you can see 2 open targets at 35 yards and 2 open targets are visible straight down the lane also at 35 yds.

Run to barrel, pick up doll and haul to next barrel (lane is 25 yds long) at last barrel 3 open targets at 12 yds (were visible at door) and 1 open target (not visible at door) and 2 noshoot covered (1/2) targets (open when visible from door earlier) at 15 yds to your right. To the left you can see 3 PP and 2 10" plates at 30 yds. There are 2 open targets at 12 yds. that can only be seen at the end of the left hand lane (which is 15 yds long).

Question?

1) Reload at door and engage all open targets (6) leaving only open targets later.

2) 6 shots at door, run to last barrel engaging 4 12-15yd. open targets, 1 15 yd. partial target and try 2 30 yd. plates.

3) Another plan?

Unfortunately I did it with a SS, but was one of only a few who went clean and in 24 seconds. I took everything thru the door and the 3 plates from the barrel. Worked out for 10 shot, but what of a 6 shot?

Anyone dizzy yet?

The only person on our squad that ripped across all 6 steel and still had time for the DT was a certain Open shooter/BE member from Iowa. ;) I know other shooters did the same thing, but he was the only one I witnessed. I don't think anyone ignored the dropper. Not on purpose, anyway.

I played it a little too safe and took the activator and as many steel as I could, which ended up only being two. ( not for the lack of trying though) Which put me at 5th on the stage in Limited. Looking back I should have done all 6 steel and then the turner.

There's a rumor that we may get some sun tomorrow. But that doesn't make up for all the damn snow we got Monday and today. Another club is having a match on Saturday. I hope they at least plow the bays.

This kind of reminds of the stage at the Nationals that was just six poppers in a row (can't remember if they were full size or U.S., or a mix). I opted for the slow but sure, get your six hits route and ended up missing one and having to do a reload any way. In hindsight I would have just blazed it, hoping for fast hits and planning on a reload. I like the way Cliff approached Keith's stage.

Yeah, I think Cliff's got the smart plan, doesn't cost any time to shoot it that way, and you leave yourself an option to add the DT points if you have to do the reload anyway.

Although it sounds really obvious to say it, I would shoot the fastest pace that was still within my ability to pretty much ensure getting the 6 hits on the steel. This is very much like my old game of pin-shooting, where maintaining just enough control is the key to winning matches.

Keith, I find sometimes the falling popper that acuates a turner is slow so add that time into your run also, and if there is no penalty leave the DT. There was a similar situation at the Missouri Classic last year with dissapearing targets, (two I think) and most of the wheelies just left it but I think Waltermitty got an extra point or two on the stage.

Yeah, I probably would have gone for it. Not because it would necessarily make sense for winning this stage with a revolver, but because it presents a scenario that is seen frequently at bigger matches as a component of a longer stage.

I would plan to take the four steel, in order, from right to left, the DT, reload, then the two steel left. It kinda depends on the speed of the turner of course.

I generally try to practice shooting the activator, one other target, then the mover on disappearing target arrays. Some of the DT's at Nationals last year were pretty dern fast, IIRC I only dropped one shot due to trigger yank on one of the stages.

I like the drop turners and disappearing targets, it's those dern mini poppers standing out in the open doing nothing I seem to have trouble with.... :wacko:

It was a convoluted description. But, hey the fever meds aren't working too well.

How about this:

Position 1 - 2 10yd targets and 4 open targets at 35 yds can be seen (and which are also availabel at position 2 below).

Position 2 - Has the 4 targets above (but now 2 of them are 1/2 covered by NS), 2 are open and 2 other open targets which couldn't be seen from position 1 all at 15 yds.

Total of 16 rounds.

Would you: A) shoot 2 10 yds. targets and 1 open target at 35 yds (using up the cylinder) running to the next postition and taking 3 open and 2 partial targets at 15 yds. with a standing reload? Leaving 2 extra shots for the tough targets.

Or: B) Just the 2 10 yd. targets reload with 2 rounds left and run to the next position and engage 4 open and 2 covered targets all at 15 yds. With a standing Reload and no extra make up shots.

Or: C) How about 4 open targets at 35 yds + 2 close 10yd targets which would save a reload at the next posititon leaving only 2 open targets at 15 yds with no reload?

Or: D) Some other plan?

And Keith, man don't be sending the snow down here. Course, that's better than Ice.

I think I understand the stage now. You're gonna have to run up to the second position no matter what, and eat a standing reload somewhere, right? Might as well make all shots as close as possible.

So I'd go plan B. Or perhaps it should be called plan B) !

Yeah, the make-up contingency shots would be nice to have in the gun just in case, but not at the expense of having to slow down enough to snipe decent hits on the 35-yarder.

Or so it seems to me.

As fast and ACCURATE as I can possibly do it......with an efficient reload! ;)

HOP

Oh and on the first stage......Shoot all the steel, quickly and piss on the DT :) (unless you are shooting a Benny Blaster, then you take the DT when it is exposed)

H

Edited by hopalong