Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Belt Cheaper Than Cr Speed?

Solarius

Cr Speed Belts keep going up. Retail now is 59.95, I sell them for 54.95. Just shipping them here cost allot. My last order the shipping alone was 800.00 from south Africa. They are a stiff belt. Safarilands are good and cheaper but CR is the hot item right now. Guess thats why they keep raising prices. I used to sell them for 25.00 just a couple years ago. They tell me its a combination of the falling dollar and cause they keep selling at the higher prices.

Enough said about the CR SPEED to convince you yet ????

I'm trying to convince my wallet that I need 1 CR SPEED rig for Open, 1 CR SPEED rig for Limited, and 1 CR SPEED rig for Production.

Do I NEED 3 dif. rigs ? Nope! :) I just want to NOT HAVE TO MESS AROUND with changing anything before a match. I have enough other stuff to worry about. Like winning~! ;)

I am glad to see someone else admit to this because I wasn't going to be first. But then I am just lazy.

Right now I have one set up for Limited. One for Revolver. And one set up with my 3-gun gear. I currently just use a leather belt that I bought at the local cop shop for use in production division which just happens to be the same belt and similar gun that I use for CCW.

Edited by Keith

I set up 2 CR Speed belts. 1 for my Glock Limited gun and 1 for my Para Limited gun. Both are basically identical, as I have a versa-pouch for my barney mag and 3 773s on each belt (same colors even). Of course the 773s are mag specific, and I use a Guga Ribas for the Para and the new Ghost for the Glock. No way do I want to switch mag pouches and holsters out before a match.

The glock is new, so during practice I can easily switch from the Para to the Glock rig in seconds. A must-have situation for me. Chuck probably isn't complaining about it either ;)

I had my first competition belt fabricated by a local leather shop. If CR Speed gets wild with their prices I don't think it would be too difficult to get an equivalent made by the same shop. In fact, I may have him make up one for my wife just to check it out.

safariland 4350 belts can be found in the $25 range new.

It is $25.00 for the inner belt and $65.95 for the #4350 basket weave outer belt that I got used for $15.00

They sell a nylon type outer for around $37.00 which comes to $62.00 for the set

Safarilands sell as individual pieces...

The 4350 is the nylon belt, the blackbasketwaeve is an 028, the inner belt is an 029.

I sell the 4350 for 25.00

the 029 for 15.00 and

the 028 for 52.00.

So you can get a nylon inner & outer for 40.00 for the set and 67.00 for the basketweave for the set.

Question for the belt experts. Are either of inner belts usable by themselves? I shoot IDPA and thinking of using the inner belt for that, and inner/outer for USPSC L10 and Production.

Bruce

Usable? Can you do it? Yes, but I wouldnt. Only thing that would be holding them together is some velcro without a keeper like is on the outer belts of both companies belts.

The Safariland belts that Brian sells are better, cheaper, and will last longer than the CR's. I've tried both side by side and there's no comparison in quality. Yes the CR is stiffer. Unless you have a lot of extra girth you need to...um...manage, or shoot 170mm sticks, the Safariland is plenty stiff. I just bought a 1.5" belt from Brian, but I think I would err toward a 1.75" if I bought again.

This post will be followed by 75 more denouncing me as a heretic, but I chatted with a dealer at Area-1 last year and he told me outright that he switched to selling CR's for the simple reason that they broke down over time and he got to sell shooters more than one. The Safariland belts just last forever and still look like new after years of hard use. I have one that's so old, it conforms neither to the 1.75 or 1.5 system. Still looks and works like brand new. Bet nobody's CR does that 20 years from now unless they just never used it.

I had the exact oppostie experience. 4 years of use with my Safariland basketweave belt and it was done, way done, like wet spaghetti. Only have 4 years on my CR (won it, bought a second one) I really can't complain about it one bit. I use most everyday too.

I don't think you're a heritic, just have a different experience.

Question for the belt experts. Are either of inner belts usable by themselves? I shoot IDPA and thinking of using the inner belt for that, and inner/outer for USPSC L10 and Production.
you can use the outer belt alone. its a bit of a pita the get it threaded through the belt loops, but it'll work.

I used the Safariland all last yr. Its a nice belt but its not made for open class gear. I'm talking of the nylon one. My mags fell out too many times last yr while running. The only problem is the front 2 pouches. with 21 rounds of 40 cal for open division is just to heavy for the belt. The front pouch literally falls forward because the belt is not still enough.

I just ordered a CR speed from Chuck today. I'll keep my Safariland for my Single stack. It will be perfect for that. Because the mags rides at the side I don't have to worry about the weight of the full mag and it also helps thats there is a 8 rd limit.

I never had tried CR Speed, just going by what everyone else says. I also ordered some knows for the pouches from Brownells to make quick adjustments to the open rig.

Flyin40

If you're looking for a cheap version of the CR Speed you can take a look at JR Speed. It's a Philipino outfit. I picked up a couple of their mag pouches at the World Shoot and they work great. I'm not sure what the import situation is right now. I know that they have a distributor in Canada, Sean Hansen. I'm not sure about the US. I googled the name and came up with this link,

http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976635229.htm

Not a bad deal for $20.00. The belts are very similar to the CR Speed with the stiffened outer belt and inner belt.

Since everyone is on the belt subject, what are you all using for keepers? My CR speed keeper wore itself out pretty quickly. Do you just buy extras? Or go with the leather snap type that the cops use?

Thanks,

-Cuz

As a fellow student on a limited budget, I'd advise going with the CR belt. Jake is right about buying the best once. I figure that if you'll be in the sport for a while, its worth getting good stuff right off the bat, because you'll always spend more fiddling with lower quality stuff and upgrading. The price difference isn't that significant and you'll really appreciate the quality, I know I did.