Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ok To Use 9mm Seat Die For 38 Sc ?

Matt Cheely

Get home today to find my package fro dillon waiting for me :) Run downstaris and start setting up to load 38sc and as I open the package with my seating die in it, something seems a little funny to me. That's not a seating die, it's a crimp die! :o Marked as a seat die on the package and on the invoice. Oh well, mistakes happen and I'll call dillon on monday.

In the mean time, I want to load ammo! Will a 9mm seat die work for 38sc or no?

I was under the assumption that the 38 dies would look just like my 9mm dies. With the seating die having a reversible plug that seats the bullet. The crimp die you can see all the way through and dosen't look like it would seat anything.

WOW! You and I must have talked to the same guy at Dillon when we first called. I asked them for a primer op. rod & what I got was a powder fail-safe rod. I called them up and of course they corrected the problem. Just sucks when you look in the mail and see a package from Dillon and you think you're back in business, but somehow you're not.

Oh well. Everyone makes mistakes. :)

Matt I just switched from super to nine. I was told the super die could not be used to seat the nine. That was direct from redding.

This would make me assume the the 38 die is slightly smaller than the 9.

I tried it and loaded up 100. Seems to work ok. So I'm good till dillon can mail me the other die. Thanks for the help guys. :)

If it were a 45 you might have gotten away with a "scoop" of powder and just tapping the bullet in with a hammer. :)

Amazing what you can learn here! I never used a hammer, just finger tight with the .45's then rap the magazine on the palm of your hand a couple of times to make sure they're snug before you load the pistol. :D

By hand?

I don't know why anybody would do anything by hand when they could beat on something with a hammer. :):):)

I love my hammer, I have a whole scrap bucket of stuff i fixed with it.------Larry

LMAO! I have only two tools. A hammer and a bigger hammer. :lol:

I use a 38super seating die to seat .355(9mm) bullets in 38SC brass.

I use my small hammer for .45. My hand got sore from magazine rapping.

I have to get a permission slip to use my big hammer. Helps keep the emergency room visits down. :ph34r: