Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Titegroup In 9 Major?

Sean Gaines

Thanks for all the input. You guys are great. The reason I brought up this topic was because I thought something didn't seem right. I have always knew when relaoding for open guns you wanted a slower to medium burning powders to efficiantly work the compensator and decrease the pressure.

But knowing the guy, he seems pretty happy with the load, and I don't think anything I say or anybody says will change his mind.

Pk

Paper Killer,

Yes, we both know him. I guess as a friend, we need to tell him about this forum's insight. It might make him think twice about TG and its consequences. If I see him before you do, I'll let him know... Good Posting, Paper Killer. See u at the range!

Cheers

don't think anything I say or anybody says will change his mind.

It should be a self correcting error sooner rather than later (well as self correcting as allowed by the remaining body parts) just WARN THE BYSTANDERS to DUCK AND COVER cause I think NUCLEAR would be a good description of what will hapen WHEN it goes.

This brings up another possibility for all those who chrono at majors, maybe you should ASK the recipies for those basement brews.

As a new open shooter I have followed this thread with interest. And some puzzlement. I shoot the load my gunsmith, Benny Hill, gave me. ( I only put that in so you all would not worry about me experimenting with TG :D )

When I look at the Hodgdon loading manual I do not see any loads which make major in 38 super. I do find many loads at Jeff Maass' site which exceed the max Hodgdon charge, in shorter OAL to make major.

How many rounds of this TG load does the guy have to shoot before we are reasonably sure the sky is not falling?

(I just love all this rocket science stuff; can't do the math.... English major...). :huh:

How many rounds of this TG load does the guy have to shoot before we are reasonably sure the sky is not falling?

Zero. A linear extrapolation places the current chamber pressure at 41.5 kCUP. But it's not linear. It's more than that. He's probably in the neighborhood of 50 kCUP - which is the upper limit for most standard RIFLE cartridges and super-mag revo cartridges. Sooner or later, something bad is going to happen.

I love TiteGroup. I sprinkle it on my oatmeal in the morning. ;)

I also love having very (VERY) few powders on my bench.

I won't, however, use TG to make Major in 9mm.

There are way too many other powders out there that do the job better, safer, and just as cheap.

Also, fast powers...running really hot...isn't that inviting barrel erosion?

If someone wants to sit alone in the middle of an abandoned gravel pit and beat on old dynamite with a hammer, OK fine, Darwin do your stuff.

Hey, don't drag MY name into this. :P

I use Titegroup with 147 grain bullets, but use light loads only.

We may be reading about this guy winning a "Darwin's Award" sometime soon, though. I assume that's what you meant.