Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fun-shoot Ideas ?

Chris Keen

This last weekend, in an effort to have as much fun as possible in as short a period of time, I set up a hose-fest stage. Basically I found out how many magazines everyone has and set up as many targets as you have mags for. We basically had a 45 round stage (I know, but it was a club match :) ) divided up from three shooting boxes across the front of the bay. The two boxes on the end were to engage a boat-load of targets all the way across the bay and the middle box was to engage a steel array of 13 which included a TX star. We had a ball. We had to reload a mag for one of the shooters, but it was ready when he was. And by the way, mandantory mag changes weren't required :D

we usually don't go much more than 32 rounds, but everyone had a great time shooting it.

FWIW

dj

• 1 year later...

Today we ran a fun match and had man on man bowling pins, a steel stage, and a cut the 2"X4" team event. I C-clamped a 2"X4" horizontally to a 4"x4" upright and painted lines on the 2"X4" to give a "cut here" reference. We had more people want to reshoot the wood than the steel or the pins.

Next time its a kids match with balloons for targets. Trying to recruit the next generation of shooters.

Paul

The most fun I've ever had at a match was indoors, like yours,

and the COF was completely hidden - you open a door, an

shoot what had to be shot - but you didn't know what you'd

find behind the door, and there were three different doors,

and three different COF's.

One you had to go prone (couldn't see anything from above)

and the room was mostly dark ( little light filtering in) and a

floodlight shining in your face - boy was that great !!!

My club does a "Scrooge Shoot" in January. People bring in their old Christmas trees and they hang cheap ornaments on them and blast away.

Here is a fun idea another fellow and I were tossing around. You can hang empty soda bottles from a string (they really jump when hit and are cheap to replace). Each is painted a different color and the bottles have to be shot in a specific order (e.g. Red then Green then Blue). The competitor stands at the line with a holstered unloaded gun and a eye mask so they cannot see while the position of the bottles is randomly changed. On the start signal, unmask, load, and shoot them in the specified order. We also considered randomly changing both the order of the bottles and the shooting order.

Basically, what we were thinking about were ways to force the shooter to react to changes.

Liking the "Cockroach" shoot. reactive targets, Virginia count, HF scoring.

We are thinking of running a couple "special" matches within a match this year. Many of us have a Revo, but rarely shoot it, so we'll increase the prize pool for Revo and design the stages so that there is a minimal number of standing reloads, no 8 shot, move 8 shot, move stages. Open areas to shoot from and if there is a Port, there won't be more then 6 shots required, likely less, but they might be steel.

Another is a pistol caliber carbine match, we'll run our regular stages, but you have the option of shooting with a pistole caliber carbine, We'll have two divisions, Open and Limited, both only 10-round in the mag after start.

We also hold (most years) a pocket gun match. All stages are pick-up starts, 5 rounds only. shoot each twice, once freestyle and once strong-hand only. We could add a third string, weak-hand. We usually run this on a Saturday, indoors, and have four stages. Lewis system payout. We use simple time plus scoring since there is not PF.

Jim

5 targets at 10 yards with clay pigeon size holes in the middle of the "A" zone. White side of target facing shooter, clay pigeon in the hole. I shot this at a local and the guy that set it up rigged supports in the back to rest the clay pigeon on. Pure time run, add half second or whatever you want for each hole in the targets.