Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone Using Or Have Any Experience With Gaspari Bullet Feeder

PistolPete

I just got my new Front Sight magazine today and was looking thru it when I stumbled on a Bullet Feeder for the Dillon 650 and 1050. I know there are a few models out now but this one costs $139 shipped. The ad doesn't say anything about this unit nor does it have a website address with more information. I'm just curious if anyone has any experience with this setup and if it really works? It appears that the bullet heads would need to be inserted in a tube that feed automatically onto the brass. The company name is Gaspari and Associates and a search online didn't come up with anything.

thanks,

Pete

Edited by PistolPete

It looks interesting. If it holds a 100 bullets in the tube then you could fill it everytime you load primers. The one from GSI is almost twice the price and the rotary one is out of the question for now, if it was available. How about you pick one up and let us know what you think. :D

I'm thinking of buying one tomorrow. It's only $140 so if it doesn't work all the great it's not a big loss. I just wanted to know if anyone had any experience with this thing because if it doesn't work I don't want to waste my time.

Pete

I did an internet search and found that he used to sell the Fowler feeder. Maybe this is an off-shoot of his experience with that. The old web address I found belongs to somebody else now.

From the picture in FS, it looks like it just places the bullet on the case in station 3 (Dillon 650). Looks like you still might have to hold onto the bullet to keep it lined up as it indexes to the seating station (station 4)?

That would probably mean you'd want to give a bit extra flair to the belling of the case at Station 2? I've always tried to bell cases as little as possible, to avoid working the brass more than needed.

By my math, you'd need a tube over 5 FEET long to hold 100 bullets (Zero 180jhp's @ .612).

Going by the price and the half page ad...featuring just the die and tube...I'd have to guess that there isn't any more to it.

From the picture in FS, it looks like it just places the bullet on the case in station 3

Good point. That could be problematic at best. I've also always tried to keep the belling to a minimum and wouldn't want to have to slow down to keep the bullet from falling off of the case as it goes to station 4. I don't know, might be worth the extra money for the GSI automatic feeder, just not this year. Thanks for making some good observations Kyle.

FWIW, the Fowler patent is here (I think the Gaspari is an improved Fowler design, though like most, my Front Sight isn't here yet): http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?...S=REF/4,573,392

If you click the 'images' link and have the right TIFF viewer, pictures of how it works are in there. If you click the 'references' link, you can track back and find the Lee and several other attempts at bullet feeders.

The interrupted-tube design where bullets come straight down the feed tube onto the case is most popular, followed by the shuttle design that moves a bullet from the feed tube over to the seater die. I believe the Lee, GSI and M-A Systems feeders all use some variant of a shuttle mechanism, while the Fowler is an interrupted-tube.

I have one and used it for a while. It worked fine and I experienced no problems with it once it was tuned correctly. You add a slight amount more crimp and the bullet will stay in place under normal operation. If you are trying to load 1000+ rounds per hour they will likely start to tilt or fall off. You must remain smooth with your actions.

The reason I stopped using it was that it took as much time and effort (or more) to load the tubes with projectiiles than the amount of time/effort it saved during the loading process. If i wanted to load 100-200 quick rounds for a match, it was faster to without the feeder. I even made longer tubes (and several extras) so that I could preload the tubes, but it saves no time once you include the tube filling time.

Also, if I remember correctly, the tubes are ~24" long and hold about 50 rounds. If you were to make 100 round tubes they would reach the ceiling (8') and the extra weight would bind the feeder. On my 1050 the tubes have to be bent to clear the case feeder so the weight is not centered.

We need to incorporate a tube filler into the system and that would make it viable.

Leo

Edited by L9X25