Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Smm 3 Gun Match

I think the match was fine in weighting, EXCEPT for stage 10. In a match such as SSM3G the match director & range master have a responsibility to make the stages fairly equal in "weight". If they had made stage 10 a bit longer and/or more complex the percentages would have been more equal. A major level 3gun match is NO place for speed shoots, IMHO.

(This is from JJ's other half) I think USPSA scoring is time consuming for RO's (and stats) and for setting things up and for taping the stage. With nuetralize scoring an RO can fly by and see two holes and be gone, and the target can be taped and everyone move on and do more shooting. USPSA takes longer to score most of the time than to shoot it. Can you imagine having to score what kind of hits were on those targets in that rain???? Also, the 100 points per stage makes a balance, some stages are about thinking, some are about shooting accurately at long range: To do well in this, you have to be good at everything. Weighted scoring often makes it easy for people to win with deficits. You do well on the high count stage, and you can mess up two or three others. I think the winner of a 3gun match with 100 points per stage is a better overall shooter.

jj & denise

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the match was fine in weighting, EXCEPT for stage 10. In a match such as SSM3G the match director & range master have a responsibility to make the stages fairly equal in "weight". If they had made stage 10 a bit longer and/or more complex the percentages would have been more equal. A major level 3gun match is NO place for speed shoots, IMHO.

Basically, I agree with you, but short stages (speed shoots) do have a purpose... to help things move along in a match while keeping up the stage count. Short stages spread out among the longer ones help keep the match on schedule. And, speaking for myself, if I'm having a bad match, a speed shoot can be something that can help me get back on track by doing something relatively simple. Too bad for me stage 10 was the only stage that my shotgun worked. ;)

The alternative is to have fewer stages in order to allow enough time to complete the match. I absolutely prefer multi-gun (or more complex) stages, but they are often very time consuming for shooter prep and scoring.

I like it the way it is.

With strict time + penalties if your gun malfs big time that's all she wrote. Without stage points the match becomes less a contest of skill and would place more of an emphasis on equipment reliability. The game becomes more about equipment and less about skill.

Any given firearm is a system consisting of the gun itself, the magazines, ammunition, and the operator. I've yet to see a serious malfunction at a match that could not in some way be attributed to operator error.

1) Failing to adaquately maintain the firearm (cleaning or replacing worn out parts)

2) Using poor quality or improperly reloaded ammunition

3) Using poor quality or worn out magazines

4) Failing to adaquately secure sighting devices.

5) Choosing to use lightened springs, lightened bolt carriers, etc. that decrease reliability.

6) Failing to put the gun through it's paces before bringing it to a match.

If my guns screw up, I view it as my fault, and will take responsibility for it.

Also I like the emphasis on long guns (namely rifle). Most of us shoot enough pistol as it is with the pistol-only matches we attend.

I agree with that.

I am very, very upset. Spent 1000 bucks to shoot this highly regarded SMM3Gun Match for the second year in a row. Last year, great weather, this year, bad as it gets. Nobody's fault. I stayed Saturday to shoot all my stages even though I was the shooter in squad 12 in second stage hypothermia. I know, dumb. Last year first super senior won a gun, I came in second, won a coffee cup and a gun bag. Left it there for next year's prize table. This year, my shooting partner won super senior, TC, did not even get a plaque. Had I known the format changed for prizes I would not have come to the Match. Then I find out that the scores are not correct which changes the overall which means that shooters were not called to the prize table in the correct order. On top of that I find out that some shooters who chose to pull out on Saturday because of bad weather shot those stages on Sunday. As JP said, NOT COOL, in fact, NASTY! These shooters should have had 500 seconds added to their scores which would change the overall scores even more! Oh yeah, when I got to the prize table, the coffee cup and gun bag were still there. I left it for next year. My point -- I won't spend $1000 to come back to a match which for me has lost all its integrity. Please don't tell me that the bad weather had anything to do with computers scoring the match or match officials allowing certain shooters to reshoot stages that they chose not to shoot on Saturday because of bad weather.

Good stuff: Having spent several years being match director, range master, RO, etc. at several big matches in the Northeast, I appreciate the ROs and what they went through at this match. In the most extreme conditions, they kept their cool, were friendly, and professional. Great job!

Dave Staub

Actually, if you are gonna change the prize/plaque structure, you should put that in the initial match application..that way, everyone knows up front what to expect (ie: High overall awarded to Lady, Junior, Senior, Super Senior)...Then people have the choice to pick which matches they want to shoot based on their expectations. As to people shooting the stages on Sunday that they missed on Saturday, we had a guy in our squad that WAS NOT allowed to shoot his stages from Saturday...he had to take the 500 sec times instead...I don't know about anyone else, only this guy....Does anyone know for sure that that happened?

Cheryl :)

On top of that I find out that some shooters who chose to pull out on Saturday because of bad weather shot those stages on Sunday. As JP said, NOT COOL, in fact, NASTY! These shooters should have had 500 seconds added to their scores which would change the overall scores even more!

Dave Staub

First of all let me say I was not part of the main team running the show for the match...

with that said I was part of a discussion about those that quit because of weather and what happens to their score. It was said that they would not be allowed to make up those stages.

As far as I know this did not happen, and I know it did not on the stage I was on for sure.

Until those involved reply to what has transpired, can we please keep this civil and stop the rumor mil from taking control.

Thanks.

• 6 months later...