Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fun With Barrels,

686+

I sent my barrel in for a 1100CM look, by having it trimmed to 22". The barrel comes back nice and ready, but looks a bit off. A quick gage with a measuring tape reveals a trim lenght of ~23-1/4 inches. QUE?

A call to the service provider, and 2 transfers later and I am on the phone with the smith. Needless to say, he thought I was way off, and he needed to trim it to 23" as that is the nearest post. I said 22 is what I wanted (actually I specifed 21.900 to 22.000), but he insisted that I would get a shorter barrel since the nearest post is about an inch down. No I say, I am fine with a 22 inch barrel and a trim to the nearest post past that. Stunned silence for about 2 seconds on the back side. "Well I guess you will have to send it back in and we will charge you like 20 bucks for shipping." Sigh....

O.K.

Lesson learned: Don't rely on just english and measurments down to the nearest thousands. Don't think that they will call you if you repeat 3 times that they should call you if they need to change anything.

So now: If I keep the 23" barrel, can I get an extension that will match that length? ( I currently have the Remington extension that would be flush with a 22.05 inch barrel) Or do I just keep the funky look...

post-5718-1140629241.jpg

I sent my barrel in for a 1100CM look, by having it trimmed to 22". The barrel comes back nice and ready, but looks a bit off. A quick gage with a measuring tape reveals a trim lenght of ~23-1/4 inches. QUE?

A call to the service provider, and 2 transfers later and I am on the phone with the smith. Needless to say, he thought I was way off, and he needed to trim it to 23" as that is the nearest post. I said 22 is what I wanted (actually I specifed 21.900 to 22.000), but he insisted that I would get a shorter barrel since the nearest post is about an inch down. No I say, I am fine with a 22 inch barrel and a trim to the nearest post past that. Stunned silence for about 2 seconds on the back side. "Well I guess you will have to send it back in and we will charge you like 20 bucks for shipping." Sigh....

O.K.

Lesson learned: Don't rely on just english and measurments down to the nearest thousands. Don't think that they will call you if you repeat 3 times that they should call you if they need to change anything.

So now: If I keep the 23" barrel, can I get an extension that will match that length? ( I currently have the Remington extension that would be flush with a 22.05 inch barrel) Or do I just keep the funky look...

Are you willing to have an inch of barrel with no rib? Personally I'd leave it as it is, it'll look a lot less funky than the way interpreted your request.

I like the CM barrel look. Yes it is not traditional, and t would be nice if the vent rib support stopped just short of 22". I have more issues with the aesthetic difference of the barrel to mag tube length then the short vent rib.

Send them a copy of your original order.

I had this happen with a Cuestick maker years back, and their answer was the same thing; "we can charge you to do it right"

Then I sent them the original order and they did it right, without being paid to screw it up the first tiem.

Edited by dirtypool40

• 2 weeks later...

Along the same lines here, I think, I have a 20' barrel and am wondering what is the max tube extension I can run safely and be within rules, I believe RMM3G states it can't run over an inch past the barrel. I'm runnin a Remmy 870 Police Magnum.......Can I go +4 or only +3?

<_<

Well I sent the barrel back in and had it trimmed. This time I drew a diagram with is and should be pictures and included the blue tape (in color) of where the trim to is on the diagram. I taped the barrel with tape of where to trim, and added arrows to the tape so that nobody gets tempted to trim on the wrong side.

The barrel is now trimmed to the right length. but of course there is a nick where they cut through the rib...... I guess they were trying to trim to that length and stoped just in time, and only left a small bandsaw nick there. Funny thing that they blackened the oopppsss but not the rib where they trimmed the sharp edges with a file.... ahhh but life goes on.

Of course they sent me the wrong chocke again. I asked for a CYL, IC, MOD. What I got was a CYL, IC and Skeet. I sent back the skeet and got:........ another Cylinder!!!

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: