Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My First Dq

RePete

Last year I shot the Ontario (Canada) Provincials.

I was having a whale of a time enjoying myself and those on my squad.

The stage was you had no mags on your belt and gun empty, 2 mags on a column in the first shooting bay, and also at 3 or 4 others. At the start you run to the first position, place 1 mag on your person , then load and engage the targets while backing out of the gazebo. Run around to an array of no shoots with a target in between 2 noshoots.

I engaged to the target, 1 handed, but I overrun the muzzle. DQ. If I had done what I planned after the walk through, I would have used both hands.

I knew I was going to be DQ'd and was already clearing my gun.

The only thing that got hurt was my pride. I laughed about it. So did others. No biggie.

I packed up, had a coffee, went back to my squad and became the squad bitch, patched and in general worked.

Inspite of the DQ, I still had a great time.

That's way to do it and I'm sure others before me have done similar things too.

RePete.

Edited by RePete

A couple years ago my son Sam (then 11) and I saw a fellow shooter DQ'd. This was the first time Sam had ever witnessed such a thing. The shooter handled himself exactly the same way you did, RePete. I was extremely grateful that he had been such a fine example of sportsmanship for my young son to see, and told him so when we had a private moment later in the day.

I made a point of telling Sam that's how a man handles his mistakes, on and off the range.

as a man... not like a man kath ;)

it would look very bad on a man to cry and whine about it... a girl can get away with those things :)

I have been DQ'd once my fault (my first ever area match which i was winning by a good margin (slight wimper)) the other i was shooting an unexpectedly full auto gun... and i stopped and unloaded before the RO could yell stop. something about being running one direction gun pointed the other... scared the heck out of me.

RePete, I feel for you. As long as we are talking about first DQ's, I just had mine at the Florida Open a week ago.

So, stage 2 "Sky Diving" starts with gun loaded in holster. Reach above your head to grab 2 "parachute" handles that slide on cable. On beep must "run" forward 10-12 feet, keeping

control of one handle with each hand, and pass a boundary line, let go of

handles, draw gun and engage targets as you walk on a boardwalk.

Guy before me starts and drops gun, DQ. I ask him if he had holster locked, he

says no. Other guys say it has already happened to 6-8 people from other

squads so I am getting a little nervous/cautious.

My turn......I LAMR, gun in CR Speed holster, and I LOCK IT. There, playing it safe and smart! I'll move past boundary line, then unlock gun, and engage. Extra split second but better safe than sorry. Turn to RO and show him that it is locked and yank up on it a couple of times to test. We have a little laugh about it.

BEEP, take 3 steps forward lose control of one handle so I stop and reach back

for it. Gun comes out of locked holster and I go to Dairy Queen! What the

heck? Look down and holster still in locked position. My friend catches the whole thing on video so, after the formalities, we watch and, sure enough, holster was locked just as I

thought I had done. Everyone feels bad and I don't get to shoot last few stages.

Sunday comes around and I go to cheer on the rest of squad and bring

belt/holster to one of the vendors (a GM) to look at for me. Tell him story and

we try some guns in holster. Sure enough, with enough upward/forward force

the gun can pop out. Net result.......I bought a Ghost holster, no more gun

coming out of a locked holster!

It sucks cuz I was trying to be extra careful locking the holster. I wanted to

make sure I didn't have a problem yet I still did. Feel guilty for endangering

folks yet I know I was not doing something stupid or unsafe. In the end I think 10-12 folks DQ'd on this one stage.

Anyway, that was my first!

Edited by nhglyn

My DQ came just last year after a clean 2 years no dq's.

It was the last stage on a level 1 match. I factored 2 stages and ran 3rd at 98% on the other. Im feeling im going to win.

In my excitement after shooting the second array going to the next position i hit the muzzle on the props and my trigger finger went in! Boom DQ. :(

Edited by Jasonub