Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My Concerns About Single Stack Division (part1)

cliffy109

Irishlad,

From info passed to me a long time ago,

In the begining of SWPL the predecessor to IPSC/USPSA the scoring was .45 major 38spc/9mm minor. But even back then the gamers were downloading their 45's and that is when the actual PF determination came to being. IPSC has made the determination that .40 is the minimum caliber for major in Standard and Modified. USPSA has also set the .40 as the minimum caliber for major in Limited, Limited 10 and the provisional SSD.

So that keeps all stock style (no comps) using the same major/minor in their respective divisions.

Alan

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alan,

Thanks for the info.

It seems minor, in this case, doesn't really serve any needs?

Wrong. It serves the same need that SSD does, but to a smaller market, i.e. the shooters of 1911s in 9mm or .38Super (or downloaded .40), which can't be used to make Major.

Irishlad

Minor in SSD serves the same purpose as minor in any of the other divisions that recognize Maj/Minor scoring, it gives the competitor a choice of what they want to shoot, plus for the people that are reloading to the Major Power factor lower limit it provides the bar that keeps the playing field a little bit more level. You chrono 164.99 you score minor, chrono 165.00 you score major. With out the capability to score minor if you did not make major then you would be shooting for no score.

Alan

• 3 weeks later...
Kinda sorta off topic but I'd like to see the 9x23 allowed in single stack major. It's a neat cartridge but it's dead because it doesn't have a home.
Since there is an 8-round restriction for major, there is no reason not to allow bullet diameters down to .355 (.38 Super, .357 Sig, 9x23, 9x21, 9x19, etc.) major in Single Stack. We'll have to wait two years to make this part of a permanent division's rule's.

Kinda sorta off topic but I'd like to see the 9x23 allowed in single stack major. It's a neat cartridge but it's dead because it doesn't have a home.

Since there is an 8-round restriction for major, there is no reason not to allow bullet diameters down to .355 (.38 Super, .357 Sig, 9x23, 9x21, 9x19, etc.) major in Single Stack. We'll have to wait two years to make this part of a permanent division's rule's.

Good point. I was wondering about that myself.

On a related note, the club level match this week is going to be interesting. They have a stage called "Blame it on Cliffy" which has two mandatory reloads after 6 shot strings. I'm rather looking forward to it. LOL