Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

7 Vs 8 Revo

foosball

Hi guys (and gals),

I just made up my mind to shoot my 6 " 686 7 shot with moon clips rather than go out and buy a 627 pc 8 shot for now. I am just starting out. Joined the CAWheelburnners here in California. I'm looking forward to the IRC in June. I'm not new to shooting, having military and law enforcement backgournd, but I haven't done the competitions. I after my first meet I think I'm going to love it.

So the question is.... How much will I miss that 8th round.

My first match was the last weekend and I screwed the pooch on a couple of stages but overall having never shot in competition before, I felt I did ok with comp III speedloaders and a 6 shot 686. I did feel the that being the only guy that used speedloaders while everyone else had an 8 shot moon clipped 627 pc guns, I was at a disadvantage. <_<

So after the meet, I decided to switch out my 686 2 1/2 7 shot cylinder and put it into my 6" and had Bob Miles clip it for me. I figured I saved about $1,200.00 dollars right now that I would rather spend on some more reloading equipment and shoot more.

The only advantage I see beside the speed of the moon clips is that I had a miss fire on one of the stages and had to recycle around to get the last shoot in before the reload. I missed shooting the next 6 rounds after the reload. If I had the 7th round then, I could have made the time. Being that the stages are supposed to be 6 round friendly, how much will I miss that 8th round.

Any input would be welcome.

Jeff

Jeff,

Welcome ..... if your mainly shooting ICORE with this gun, you won't be dissadvantaged by running the 7 shot, as all stages are 6 shot neutral, the 7 seven does give you the confidence that if you do have a misfire you have the back up shot there..... this is the same reason I built my Bianchi revolver on a 7 shot.

I think you going about it the right way. Run the 7 shot for now, use the other funds for getting yourself set up with the correct reloading equip, holsters etc. If you find your hooked ....more than likely you will .... then you can always trade the 7 shot on an 8 shot later down the track..... or do what I do and just buy a different gun for every discipline you decide to shoot..... I might add I don't have a wife to answer to anymore. :D

Hope I helped.

Cheers Ryan

Hi guys (and gals),

I just made up my mind to shoot my 6 " 686 7 shot with moon clips rather than go out and buy a 627 pc 8 shot for now. I am just starting out. Joined the CAWheelburnners here in California. I'm looking forward to the IRC in June. I'm not new to shooting, having military and law enforcement backgournd, but I haven't done the competitions. I after my first meet I think I'm going to love it.

So the question is.... How much will I miss that 8th round.

My first match was the last weekend and I screwed the pooch on a couple of stages but overall having never shot in competition before, I felt I did ok with comp III speedloaders and a 6 shot 686. I did feel the that being the only guy that used speedloaders while everyone else had an 8 shot moon clipped 627 pc guns, I was at a disadvantage. <_<

So after the meet, I decided to switch out my 686 2 1/2 7 shot cylinder and put it into my 6" and had Bob Miles clip it for me. I figured I saved about $1,200.00 dollars right now that I would rather spend on some more reloading equipment and shoot more.

The only advantage I see beside the speed of the moon clips is that I had a miss fire on one of the stages and had to recycle around to get the last shoot in before the reload. I missed shooting the next 6 rounds after the reload. If I had the 7th round then, I could have made the time. Being that the stages are supposed to be 6 round friendly, how much will I miss that 8th round.

Any input would be welcome.

Jeff

The answer to how much you will miss the 8th round will be known by how often you miss the 6th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st, etc., shot. :lol:

If you don't miss, you won't miss it. At least not in ICORE when shots are unlimited. B)

Jeff, As all thed replies state you won't miss the eighth shot under most conditions. In ICORE the match directors, even at the local level, strive to make the courses 6 shot neutral while allowing you to use your eight shot fully. A few years ago, prior to making Revolver a Division in USPSA the eight shot was a distinct advantage in IPSC type stages over all the other revos. But now shooting the revo division you are only allowed 6 shots prior to a reload. Better to have your Revo Dependable than to rely on the advantage of making up a misfire on the seventh or eighth shot. :(

You wont miss the 8th shot.

I bought my 8 shot for IPSC/USPSA way back in 95. Yes, I had a huge mechanical advantage against other 6 and 7 shot revolvers. (I am now using a 625 for USPSA)

In ICORE, I find that I rarely use 7 or 8 shots. If I do, I probalby missed the first time and am now adding time to my score by making up the shot. Yeah a make up shot is better than a mic but if you have to dwell on the target making up shots, you are adding time.

Forget the 8th shot and practice to be fast and accurate with the first 6. If you need a make up shot like on steel, then you have one.

8 shots are great for matches like the Steel Challenge.

Bubber sums things up pretty good

DVC

Renny

Thanks all that replied.

I like toys a bunch, hence my 20 hand guns and all the other stuff I collected over the years. I'm trying to break a habit of going full bore and spending money to fix imaginary issues that don't matter. Brian's E's book has been a big help as well as this forum.

I'm taking my time and learning the Dillon 550b. Hope to have perfected a good load by the time of the IRC.

The guys at Wheelburnner will keep me straight.

Who knows, I might just shoot my 625 Vcomp, no seven rounds there.

Thanks

Jeff

• 3 weeks later...

Great idea !

Found a mint 686 6in 7 rnd. no lock for $350. + $100 moonclip conversion + $80 (FO front - Millett rear) + $40 Vic's spring set =$570.

Still about $300 ahead of the 627 with the extra round.

I'll save money for the future 9mm revo !!!

Jeff,

Welcome to the competitive side of shooting.

I will get jumped for this but I'll put it on the table.

Since you already have it just shoot it.(the 7 shot)

IF you REALLY want to improve and gain CONFIDENCE shoot a 6 gun!!!

The other 2 shots are just CRUTCHES for those who have no or low confidence in their abilities.(That is just my Opinion) see my signature line about opinions ;)

Think about it, if it is a 6 round "neutral" stage why the HELL do you need extra??????

JUST take care of business the first time and be done with it. :)

it WILL make you a better shooter(IF that is what you want)

Now if you just want to go shoot with new friends by all means take what ever you can get your hands on that is safe, and is allowed and go play(FUN is MOST IMPORTANT)

I myself took last years shooting WAY too seriously and by November was so burnt out and tired that I almost completely quit and sold out............REMEMBER TO MAKE IT FUN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now go out and have fun!!!!!!!!!!!

HOPALONG

Just another dummy that shoots ;)

Especially if you're shooting ICORE, If you need those extra shots you're just digging a hole. But, they are nice on courses with active targets.

Accuracy is so critical in ICORE. In IPSC it's more balanced, and the scoring zones are a bit bigger.

But, hey shoot what you got. It's all good and fun!

Thanks everyone,

I agree the six shoot neutral is one of the reasons I want to shoot ICORE. I think I will also shoot my 625 ACP and trade off between the two.. I get obsessed with new projects and want to have the best equiptment going in so I have no excuses....

As for the 7th shot, I lost a stage because I had a misfire and had to recycle, surpassong the time... It would have saved me the stage..

Loooking forward to both shoot better and make new friends.

Jeff