Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

'cleaning out my closet'

down0

It is only Thursday, so I will refrain from getting on my Rant Mode again.  It is all subjective.  People like what they like and the converse of that.  

I think 3/4time nailed part of it for me, I just cannot handle the dress, actions, gestures, and speach patterns of the performers.  If you can't get by the exterior, how are you supposed to judge ther interior.

Again, there is no accounting for some people's taste, it is all in their mouth.

Quote: from Flexmoney on 8:54 pm on Jan. 22, 2003

EricW,

If you have a video file of Sinatra nailing Doris Day...send it along.

Flex,

How you managed to insinuate that out of my post I'll never know.  Everything OK at home?  

-----------------------------

I hate to say it, but I'm with Tightloop on this one.  The only good thing about sending celebrities into space is the hope that they'll round up all the contrived rap and pop "artists" and send them on a one way trip to the center of the galaxy.  Everytime I see some punk kid with droopy pants, I have to restrain myself from smacking the holy hell out of him.  Rap music (and a lot of pop as well) has done nothing but reduce the dignity of humanity.  Yes, I know they said the same thing about Elvis, but I find cRap music to be characteristically different.  Furthermore, I find it dismaying and ironic that civilized society has legitimized artists who write "lyrics" that are so angry, violent, and hateful that Ku Klux Klan propaganda pales in comparison.  Rap is a dehumanizing culture that has contributed nothing but negative to society.  For all thier pissing and moaning about getting "dissed" and needing respect, cRap wannabes show nothing but disrespect for the rest of the planet.  Want respect?  Turn down your f-ing stereo, pull up your pants, use a belt, and put on a clean shirt.  

Then again, you are who you are, so que sera sera.....

EricW

You tell 'em.

Stalion

when you have spent the majority of your life conforming to the laws and ways of society, and then witness a group come onto the scene who act as the Rappers do, you will understand why I have no respect for them.  for me it is kind of like seeing someone spit on the flag and then burn it, I know they have the constitutional right to do that, but it still makes me want to slap the crap out of them.

I can not understand how you can think that people like the black eyes peas, de la soul or the roots are negative? I am a big fan of hiphop and rap music, and I can REALLY understand why people don't like IT (as if IT is just one thing) from a general perspective, which has to be a musical one. But how can you not like it from a verbal perspective, when it's verbally one of the the most diverse music styles?

Gentlemen and Ladies - this thread can be taken down so many roads.  Insert the word(s) country, blue grass, classical, folk, rock, metal, ska, jazz or any other genre in the place of rap and you'll find someone on the other side of the fence.  Same goes for guns (SV, STI, Caspia, Glock, Sig, Para, etc) If everyone agreed that everything was great, all but one of us would unnecessary?  Ya falla?

Like BE says on the main page under his links to a band named 16 Horsepower "Its not for everyone, but, what is?"

Dave,

I understand where you're coming from.  I just make a distinction between not liking something and being offended to the core.  I don't like opera.  I despise cRap with every fiber of my being.

E

spook

As an English major from Rice University, the language of the rappers offends my sensitive ears.  

When someone who is in front of the general public and thinks the conjugation of the verb, to be, is: I be , you be, he she it be's, we be, you be, they be.  It scares me.

If you or they cannot get a grasp of the English language, cut out your tongue and use sign language.  At least then, if you say something which should offend me, I won't know.

Big Dave

I said that early on, but then I am one of those who thinks that if you live in the USA and plan to stay here you should learn English, and stop whining about why no one can speak to you.

The music has devolved to cater to the suburban white kids who became its major market. Once upon a time ago, it had melody and rhythm and worthwhile lyrics.

Grandmaster Flash and Melle Mel are long gone and you won't hear, "My white lines go a long way/Either up your nose or through your vein/With nothin to gain except killin your brain."

De la Soul is long gone and you won't hear, "Style is surely our own thing/Not the false disguise of show-biz."

Public Enemy is long gone and you won't hear 911 is a Joke and Fight the Power.

Ice Cube went Hollywood and you won't hear, "April 29th was power to the people/and we might just see a sequel."

What you're seeing and hearing now is pandering to the offspring of the soccer moms, kids who can't handle their Wonder-bread existence and idolize some imagined (or marketed) ghetto culture.

TL, you're right. Their english is very bad from a philological POV. But I think that is not really what they're worried about. It would be like telling Picasso or Pollock that "some of his painting don't look real". I can understand you don't like Pollock paintings (I know I don't), but saying it doesn't look right from a technical POV doesn't really make sense. You would just say ït looks like s#it"

BTW, it really weird, but I've noticed my english is actually better that that of most rappers, and I've spent approx. 3 weeks in countries where english is the first language. That kind of makes you wonder, doesn't it?

spook

Yes, I understand that they are just trying to get their point across to the masses in the best way that they can, but someone should tell them that it detracks from their message if the words are not what the mainstream population can understand or accepts as socially correct.  They are trying to make their square peg fit into societies round hole, and it isn't happening.  All they have accomplished  is to alienate the old farts like me, who would have at least given their "music" a chance if I could have understood the words and their demeanor and dress were a little more socially in vogue by the majority of the population; not just the 13 to 24 yr old thugs.

If I am correct Picasso nor Pollock advocated shooting policemen in any of their works, no matter how strange they  looked.

Yes, you are correct.  Your English is better than most rappers, but you know the old saying about leading a horse to water and trying to make him drink.  Just because most (and that is giving them the benefit) of the rappers were exposed to the Queen's English for the 12 years they were supposed to be in school, doesn't mean they absorbed any of it.  From all outward appearence they absorbed hardly anything they were exposed to in school, be it English or anything else.

(Edited by tightloop at 8:49 am on Jan. 24, 2003)

(Edited by tightloop at 9:00 am on Jan. 24, 2003)

(Edited by tightloop at 9:03 am on Jan. 24, 2003)

spook

I finally got my point across.

You don't think the  person who said, "...wine, women and song.", wanted to include rap too do you?  I don't think so, not included with great wine and beautiful women.

I do understand the rappers frustration though.  To be so passionate about what they want to convey and  yet be so totally  lacking in  the verbal, written and literary skills to get their message across must be the source of their anger.

TL, I think if you would ever check out one of P Diddy/Puff Daddy/Sean Combs' videos, you would think that that's his interpretation of "...wine, women and song" .

I now know how I can get you mad. I'll "translate" some of Shakespeare's work to Ebonics. I can see it already. "To be or not to be, that be the question".