Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

'cleaning out my closet'

I had the unprecidented priviledge of 'hanging' with my kids for the last few weeks.  They are 7 and 9 little girls so the music they like is usually not the stuff that I would choose.  They like the performer Eminem.  I know that this type music isn't the type for most that post here but hey,,,I'm the dopey music guy so...

I first listened to the song 'Hailie's Song'.  My oldest is named Hallie so I agreed to listen.  It's really not bad.  I thought the fella may be a homo gang banger rap punk but he writes pretty good lyrics.  ( or buys some pretty good ones).  Then they got me to listen to 'Cleaning out my closet'  WOW is an understatement.  The guy could OWN the Flame Wars.  If you have an open mind and can stand a pretty raw song I suggest you take the time to listen to it.   It's rap and thats not my gig either,  but the words cut like a knife.

The really interesting thing about songs like this is they make you think about whats going on around us.  I had heard about Eminem before but would have never listened to one of his songs without some prodding.  Music crosses all barriors,  old adage but so true.  The feeling that I get from a song like 'Cleaning out my closet'  is that this fella went through more stuff than I can fathom (assuming most of its true) and turned out to be a relativily decent person.  His dedication to his child inspite of her mother hits me were it counts.  I remember songs when I was coming up I really associated with,  non I remember were THAT cutting.  

I wouldn't go as far as to say this is a favorite song or performer,  but I think it merits a listen.  I'm not sure which album it's on,  you wouldn't hear it on the radio!!!

My girls got it from Kaaza on-line.  ( don't tell SA )

I own exactly three rap CDs, and they are all by Eminem.

He is very talented for sure. It makes great pre- match pump- up -music.

Be careful with the older stuff around your kids, the first two albums have a lot more shock value than the third. (Eminem show, the one that has the songs you mentioned)

SA

If you listen to that stuff on the way to a match, you have to turn your pistol sideways after you clear the holster, wear pants 4 sizes too big, turn your hat sideways, forbidden to lace up your shoes,  have a gold chain 36" long with a Dollar Sign in diamonds and speak ebonics.  

IMHO rap isn't music, it is talking to background noise.  Music has a melody and lyrics.

wait till Friday and we can really get started on Rap Music.

You gotta wonder about a guy who sings, "The smartest thing I ever did was take the bullets out of that gun." (When he was busted for threatening somebody with his unloaded gun at a nightclub or something.)

Carrying an unloaded gun = Darwin candidate

I like Em's new one...

You better lose yourself in the music, the moment

You own it, you better never let it go  

You only get one shot, do not miss your chance to blow

This opportunity comes once in a lifetime

Legend has it he was about to shoot his wife and the guy she was kissing, then decided to pistol whip the guy instead.

However, MTV ran those lyrics over and over on a special, got very old...

Flex,

I lied...I also have a couple of Kid Rock CDs, but no cypress hill. I'm just not cool enough... :)

SA

Tightloop, Open your mind to new sounds. I do not like rap either but a friend of mines grandfather was very into it, only he called it " squaredance calling". Im sorry it was too easy.....         Travis F.

TBF  

(Rant Mode ON)

Perception is reality, and my perception of Rap is that it is written by and for angry urban young adults who do not want to work, want society to take care of them and then get upset when they break society's rules and have to go to jail.

As one of the older folks who peruse this forum, I have neither time nor energy to expend on listening to these people whine about how oppressed they are and what society owes them.  I don't want to listen to them talk about how bad they have it, listen to them degrade women, listen to them talk about shooting police, or each other, but  mostly; I just don't want to listen to them AT ALL.

As I previously stated I believe that  real music has both melody and lyrics, and Rap music generally has neither.  However, as we both know, that is what is great about the USA and this forum, it is the individual's perogative to pick and choose.  While I do not care for your choice, I will defend your right to listen to what you choose.  I hope you will defend my right to choose something less offensive in my view.

Close minded, prejudiced; yes to both.  And don't get upset about my rant about rap music, it isn't personal.  But if you post it on the forum, you might have to defend it.  While you might get your point across like Johnny did when he got O.J. off, that fact doesn't make it any more correct or  any less offensive to the  informed public.

Rant Mode OFF

Tightloop, no offense intended in case you missed it, I do NOT like rap either, I mean no offense to those who do, but the punchline was         " squaredance calling"     You know, like at a squaredance. I will just quit typing now........        Travis F.

Quote: from tightloop on 10:22 am on Jan. 21, 2003

If you listen to that stuff on the way to a match, you have to turn your pistol sideways after you clear the holster, wear pants 4 sizes too big, turn your hat sideways, forbidden to lace up your shoes,  have a gold chain 36" long with a Dollar Sign in diamonds and speak ebonics.  

Really?  I wear jeans that fit, a D-backs hat with the brim forward, don't wear no jewelry except my wedding ring and listen to Mr. Mathers ( or Sir Mixalot, or Ice Cube ) in my Ford truck.  I can speak a little "ebonics" if you'd like, but I also speak southern english, government english, and enough spanish to get by in Old Mexico.  Where do I fit on your Rap continuim?

" If you have a video file of Sinatra nailing Doris Day...send it along. " ...     There's something really wrong about that sentence.  Not that I don't think there may exist a video of the event,  but there is something terribly upsetting about the mind that would think of a sentence like that!!!  LOL

The 'lyrics and melody' of rap idea is interesting.  I tend to like a wide range of music.  Rock is by far my fav thou.  I attended an OzzFest a few years back with a much younger friend.  The bands were mostly unknown by me thou many have made Dave's Jacked up music thread.  It was a long very loud event and in the end I couldn't have picked out one ' lyric or melody'.  I thought,  gee I must really be getting old if this kind of stuff doesn't register with me anymore.  The next day I saw an interview with Ozzy.  They asked him if he picked the bands at the fest because he was a fan of thier music.  He said no his kids pick the bands,  he likes to have a bit of melody in the music!!!

The small sampling of rap that I've heard and liked did have 'lyrics and melody'.  The rap/pop artists and fans bring on the resentment themselves.  The dress and gestures overshadow the music,  and many times the first time we hear one of thier new songs its from a mini car with a mega bass speaker strapped to it.  

It reminds me of the old 'motown sound' performers.  They dressed and acted whiter than Scarlett O'hara.  Marketing genious for a segregated America.  I have an old pic of Bob Marley and the wailers dressed in the straight leg suits of the sixes.  Imagine how hard it must have been to get a bunch of rastafarians to don the clothes of the 'oppressor' !!!

(don't be stingy with that video file either!!!)