Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

140mm W/+1 Or 126mm W/+2 Basepad?

mpolans

As I understand it, a 140mm mag with a Dawson +2 basepad isn't legal for limited. So...

How many rounds does each hold in each caliber?

1. .40 in 140mm w/ +1 Dawson basepad.

2. .40 in 126mm w/+2 Dawson basepad.

3. 9mm in 140mm w/+1 Dawson basepad.

4. 9mm in 126mm w/+2 Dawson basepad.

As I understand it, a 140mm mag with a Dawson +2 basepad isn't legal for limited. So...

How many rounds does each hold in each caliber?

1. .40 in 140mm w/ +1 Dawson basepad.

2. .40 in 126mm w/+2 Dawson basepad.

3. 9mm in 140mm w/+1 Dawson basepad.

4. 9mm in 126mm w/+2 Dawson basepad.

My SVI mags (140mm) with Dawson +1's or Arredondo basepads hold 19 and have enough room left to reload with them. Don't have any experience with the other lengths.

(I'm assuming you're talking about SVI/STI mags and not Paras mags?)

I have 4 STI Dawson tuned mags with Dawson guts and +1 basepads and can get 19 reloadable, 1 of them is 20 reloadable if I tap it around just right while im loading it up.

2 other STI mags have Grams guts with factory pads and are 19 reloadable, I plan to put Grams pads on them.

I'm assuming that all those that have replied so far are shooting .40, right?

Anyone try a +2 on a 126mm? Anyone know if this combo would be under the 140mm limit?

You cant put a +2 on a 126mm mag. Well you can but it wont fit in the gun. Especially with a mag well. The +2 was originally made to go on the old 140mm mags which are only 133mm using the current day methods of measuring. They used to measure diagonally on the side of the mag. Now they go straight down the back. The +2 was made to make those old 133mm mags 140mm.

Now the 126mm mag is a carry mag, flush fit. International standard shooters use these but most use a wedge base pad like the Dawson international pad. This get you one extra round and gives you a portion of the mag sticking out the bottom so you can do a relaod with a magwell. Dawson did make a base pad to make the 126mm a 140mm but I think that was speculation that IPSC would go to 140mm in std like we have in limited. As far as i know he doesnt make them anymore. If they did switch Dawson would have sold thousnads of them to all the international shooters who now use 126mm mags.

In the Worldshoot in Ecuador last year, i get 3 SPS mags and win one STI mag in .40S&W.

All of them with 140mm, here in Brazil we cant use 140 mm mags, so i ask to my Gunsmith to cut those mags to fit in the box, after he cut and make a new base ( a single peice of thin metal) this mags fits in the box, and for my surprise, the SPS mags with new folover(a orange one) can be loaded with 19 rounds and i can do reloads with them, the STI mag only can be loaded with 18 rounds.

My sugestion is buy SPS mags with 140mm, and send them to your Gunsmith and cut it ot fit in the box.

They work great in my IMBEL(Springfield,Paraordenance clone).

Ill try to take some pics of my mags, and my friend have this mags with 1400mm and dont cut them yet, so ill take pics of both.

Bye

Edited by BrazilianShooter

This is so funny, becasue I have two of the Brazilian ones that hold 19 reloadable. Weird huh.

I have one too, and mine hold 20 rounds because is for IMBEL(para/Springfield), but they are very expensive, more than US$200.

Those SPS mag i pay US$ 50 in Ecuador and more US$ 30 to my Gunsmith to make them fit the box.

Bye,

[You cant put a +2 on a 126mm mag. Well you can but it wont fit in the gun. Especially with a mag well. The +2 was originally made to go on the old 140mm mags which are only 133mm using the current day methods of measuring. They used to measure diagonally on the side of the mag. Now they go straight down the back. The +2 was made to make those old 133mm mags 140mm.

I have one of the old 133mm mags with a Dawson +2 and Grams spring & follower and it is a reloadable 20 rounds.