Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ghost Dog

• 2 weeks later...

Yea, that's making me feel like sticking the disc in my other machine right now. It's great just to have it running while typin' on the forum... The scene where the mob guy (who ordered the hit) has to go in the room behind the restaurant for the "conference"  has got to be one of the most hilarious scenes I've ever seen.

Yeah!!!! Danny!  Swingin' the blades.......

(Although I don't really see him taking an ass-kicking like that....oh well....just a movie.....)

Q: Was that Dar Robinson going out the window at the end?

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw Ghost Dog on DVD.  I think Ruger must have sponsored this film ;)

I thoroughly enjoyed the interplay between Ghost Dog and the Ice Cream vendor.  Their ability to communicate without a common language was moving, hillarious, and thought provoking.

The bad guys all watched television and all they watched were cartoons.  Parodies of real life that in the context of the film parodied the action.  I would have to watch the film a few more times to come up with specific examples but I think there is something there.  Maybe the gangsters viewed the world through that filter, followed those rules, just as Ghost Dog viewed the world through the filter of the  Hagakure.

There are a few deleted scenes on the DVD and a making of documentary that make it a little more fun than just the VHS but not much more.

-jhgtyre

• 2 weeks later...

If you liked the movie ' Sharkey's Machine'.  You should read the book!!!   My parents bought the hard bound copy in the late 70's. ( They also bought a hard bound copy of 'First Blood',  the first Rambo story)  I was a teenager when I first read it.  To say that it impacted me would be insufficient.  I was a fan of 'Nick Carter' and 'James Bond'.   That book was so gritty and real I couldn't stand it.  I was completely mesmerized by Domino.  Probably the age thing.  (I WAS married for ten years,  I don't use 'mesmerized' about any women except my daughters now!!!)

The book was so huge to me many years later when I saw that the movie was being made I was very excited.  Unfortunetly as usual the movie was a huge let down from the book.  Reynolds was good as Sharkey and the girl that played Domino was good,  but so much of the story line was changed that it didn't have the same fire.  

I still have the book ( lost First Blood ).  William Diehl painted an extraodinary tale of action, intrigue and passion that I will always count as one of my favorites.  

If you consider the movie a classic you should treat yourself to the 'full monte',  read the original!!!

• 7 months later...