Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Throating On Kkm Glock Barrel

DaveM

I just put together a Glock 17 open gun with a fitted KKM barrel and Dr Optics sight. I thought everything was great. I shot about 500 rds of winchester white box through it breaking it in and getting used to it and it worked great and never jammed. However when I started trying to develop a major load I ran into trouble. If any of the full diameter of the bullet is sticking out of the case mouth the round won't chamber. In looking at the barrel there is no throat at all. I called KKM to try to get them to run a throating reamer in it and they said they won't because it is no good for accuracy because of the bullet jump to the rifling.

I am trying to use 135 gr zero bullet and 3N38. I tried 115 gr hornady XTP (too expensive but I had some on hand) and I can't seat them deep enough either. Both loads have to be way shorter than a already short glock mag. This is no good. Has anyone used the zero 124 gr are they full dia very far out the bullet? Any other suggestions.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a drop in KKM barrel/comp...

Now I'm trying to find a major load, but I can't find a bullet profile that doesn't force me to load super short.

Anyone else have this problem?

The 147gr Zero's I use for stock ammo fits fine @ up to 1.160", but Win JHP and Hornady XTP's aren't even close to fitting.

thanks.

I just noticed when comparing 147gr Zero's to 115gr Win JHP...

The Win is roughly .130" shorter than the Zero.

Zero fits up to 1.169"

If I seat the 115gr win JHP to 1.130, it will fit.

The 115gr jhp is .538" long, which means .158" of the bullet is inside the case when seated to 1.130"

If this was seated to 1.150", only 128" would be in the case.

The 147gr JHP is .669" long, .269" of the bullet is inside the case, when seated to 1.150"

For those with non-glocks who seat out to 1.175+, that would leave about .113" of a .355" dia. bullet in the case. That doesn't seem like a lot of holding pressure to me, but I am new to Major9.

Anyway, I think I'm going to load some at 1.130" and see where that takes me. I believe it takes roughly 8.8gr of HS-6 to make 167pf. (Hs-6 and Power Pistol are what I'm playing with now)

thanks.

I just noticed when comparing 147gr Zero's to 115gr Win JHP...

The Win is roughly .130" shorter than the Zero.

Zero fits up to 1.169"

If I seat the 115gr win JHP to 1.130, it will fit.

The 115gr jhp is .538" long, which means .158" of the bullet is inside the case when seated to 1.130"

If this was seated to 1.150", only 128" would be in the case.

The 147gr JHP is .669" long, .269" of the bullet is inside the case, when seated to 1.150"

For those with non-glocks who seat out to 1.175+, that would leave about .113" of a .355" dia. bullet in the case. That doesn't seem like a lot of holding pressure to me, but I am new to Major9.

Anyway, I think I'm going to load some at 1.130" and see where that takes me. I believe it takes roughly 8.8gr of HS-6 to make 167pf. (Hs-6 and Power Pistol are what I'm playing with now)

Tim,

Try the zero 125 at 1.145 They work very well with the comp you have. also they work with the standard reamer I use when I chamber my barrels.

KKM drop in barrels come with minimum sammi chambers . If you have a smith with a mansen reamer they open up the chamber a little and offer a deeper throat for loads out to 1.169" provided the ogive is not real fat.I would not cut the chamber any more than .755" or you could develop light strike issuse from sloppy head space.

make sure the chamber is polished to a mirror finish when you step up to major for good release.

The 9 being a taper case can get stickky at major loads.

I tried a few 124's and 125's, and I just didn't like how they felt compared to the 115's.

If it comes to having to ream the chamber or anything, I'd probably just have a fitted barrel put in. There's no sense putting much $$ or time into a drop in anyway. The chamber looks pretty clean, but if I run into any problems with it, I can polish it up a little more.

From what I have looked at, the bullets I'm having problems with, are all really short overall. If anyone is able to measure a 115gr and 125gr Zero for me it would be most appreciated.

I would almost be willing to bet the case capacity of a Zero @ 1.145" would be about the same as these Win JHP's @ 1.130"

After I get this bullet situation worked out, I need to play with the ejector some. I think I might put together a blank tool and pop out a few, since I believe we have stock tooling that can do the other forms. Maybe leave the nose a little oversize to allow for some fine tuning.

I tried a few 124's and 125's, and I just didn't like how they felt compared to the 115's.

If it comes to having to ream the chamber or anything, I'd probably just have a fitted barrel put in. There's no sense putting much $$ or time into a drop in anyway. The chamber looks pretty clean, but if I run into any problems with it, I can polish it up a little more.

From what I have looked at, the bullets I'm having problems with, are all really short overall. If anyone is able to measure a 115gr and 125gr Zero for me it would be most appreciated.

I would almost be willing to bet the case capacity of a Zero @ 1.145" would be about the same as these Win JHP's @ 1.130"

After I get this bullet situation worked out, I need to play with the ejector some. I think I might put together a blank tool and pop out a few, since I believe we have stock tooling that can do the other forms. Maybe leave the nose a little oversize to allow for some fine tuning.

Tim, FWIW, I have a KKM drop-in w/comp for my G34 and have loaded major power factor loads using MG 124 JHP loaded to 1.158 o.a.l without any problems. The throat is deep enough to load longer, but anything over 1.158 will not fit in the glock mags. I have loaded using 7625 (a compressed load) and also power pistol (lots more room in the case). The power pistol load can easily be taken to a 174 PF, but I do not like the way it shoots. The 7625 load will just slightly make more than major, but it shoots really sweet.

LJE

For my 9x19 major loads I use an OAL of 1.150 with the Montana Gold 357 SIG bullet (.355 Diameter) I have experienced no problems with my KKM barrels feeding those loads. I'm using mainly N350 but I have also been know to use Longshot. The limiting factor in creating a 9x19 major load for a G17 frame is the magazine not the barrel.

Edited by ryucasta

Actually, it's the barrel I have.

I can't load out that long, the bullet hits the rifling if loaded longer than 1.130"

The magazines/extensions function ok up to 1.150", longer than that and the Taylor extensions get questionable.

Tim,

zero 125@.560"

I had a barrel the other day that gave me problems turned out that the chamber was cut with a rougher and never finished out. Since KKM makes a short chambered barrel they could have set the head space corect with a rougher and never finished it out. I had to think about it a while but with the gunsmithfit barrels they have almost no throat to begin with untill they are cut with a finish reamer.

Could the guy have grabed the wrong reamer??? they look almost the same .

KKM chambers by hand as near as I can tell.I will ask Luke the next time I talk to them.

By the way Kevin Is real good about standing behind his work.He will make it right.

Edited by Mad Scientist

I'm not sure if Topglock gets their barrels finished from KKM or not. Since Zero's and Gold dots seem to chamber out as long as I can get them, and just certain bullets won't go out that long, I think it may just be short throating.

Is there any way to tell for sure, if it just hasn't been finish reamed?

What I'd really like to figure out, is if Zero 115's and 124's will work, without having to order 1000 of them.

Does anyone know of a place I can order a smaller quantity?

I ran some Gold dot 115's and 124's @ major with Hs-6 yesterday afternoon, and I think I'm back in limbo about 124 vs 115.

Working up the charges, there were a couple spots I marked with each weight that shot super flat at minor, and I didn't really have enough loaded at major to do a lengthy comparison.

I'd call KKM, box it up and send it in for them to check out. If it didn't get finish reamed, then they will fix it right up, I'd think. If you'd like more done to it, they would probably do that too..for a small fee. And, you might send some dummy rounds with it for QC.

I bought a KKM barrel for building my Open gun last November and Kevin didn't have any fitted barrels in stock and said it would be several weeks before he had some before he could ship. I didn't want to wait and told him to send me a drop-in. Well when I received it I had to fit it to the slide and it would load up Winchester white box ammo just fine, but when I started to try my 125 gr. Zero JHP's @ 1.150 OAL they wouldn't go. I called Kevin and he said I would have to use a finishing reamer which I thought was strange for a drop-in, but he said he "would not" do it, so I reamed it myself.

Edited by Charlie Vanek

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
KKM has excellent customer service. Give them a call and tell them your problem. They'll be happy to look at it. They'll do you right.

Bronson7

I don't know about the excellent part. I had the same experience. I have a fitted barrel with no throat. If any of the full bullet dia sticks out of the case it will not chamber. I called them and was informed that the set the chambers up this way for accuracy and they would not throat it.Hey I love an accurate gun as much as the next guy. but if it won't work it won't work.