Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

N320 Loads 40 Major

firematt100

i was told by a friend that it can reach to 171PF

I doubt it. <_< If your friend has a chrono you may want to ask to see the data. Most folks are making major with 5.0-5.3g of N320 and a 180g bullet. I'd be surprised if it made 165 much less 171. Most folks are loading longer, so the OAL of 1.170' should increase the pressure and put you closer.

For IPSC standard gun [barsto barrel,STI long dust]

40sw 180gr

N320 4.3gr

OAL 1.170

PF ???

has anyone ever tried this load?? i was told by a friend that it can reach to 171PF..any comments and suggestions would be much appreciated. thanks so much!!

That load is minor for 180gr even with lead heads. What heads are you thinking of using, dre? I suggest you also try using the 200gr with your setup and spring your gun low. You might like it better than the 180's. ;)

40sw 180gr

N320 4.3gr

OAL 1.170

That load is minor for 180gr even with lead heads.

How so?? When it's warm out, here, that load is good for 173PF or so, using 185gr Precision Bullets (moly coated) in my gun, loaded at 1.180". In the cold (40 deg F), I need more like 4.6gr. Lead should be slightly faster.

W/ jacketed bullets, I need about half a grain more, though.

Oops, hehe :P, that statement was based on the available head types we have here since we (infinity and I) are located in the same area. I've tried all of the head types we have and compared notes with others using different barrels and I have yet to come across somebody getting major with that load.

My load is 185gr plated using 4.8gr N320 @ 1.160" yields about 172-175PF.

Now I'm curious, what's the bullet diameter for moly Precision? Getting a few grain's savings would surely add up in the long run.

40sw 180gr

N320 4.3gr

OAL 1.170

PF ???

has anyone ever tried this load?? i was told by a friend that it can reach to 171PF..any comments and suggestions would be much appreciated. thanks so much!!

In my SVI Competition (5", long dust cover) I chronoed the following:

182grs Lead Flat Point-Beveled Base bullet

4.5 grs VV N320

CCI SP primers

1.170" O.A.L.

171.2 PF

It is pretty close, but I guess 4.3 grains won't make Major in my gun.

40sw 180gr

N320 4.3gr

OAL 1.170

PF ???

Dre,

the load is too low. My current is n320 4.9g with 180g teflon and 1.19 - 1.2 oal. Have it chrono your self. ;) by the way pf is around 170-173

Edited by achard

JJ it does.

Teflon makes'em slicker, it's almost the same difference between lead and plated bullets.

With the lead and plated bullets I use (same weight and bullet profile), I have to add some 0.3/0.4 grs of powder to the plated ones to reach the same PF. This is due to less friction in the barrel from plated/jacketed bullets when compared to lead ones.

BTW, I know (from second-hand sources) that teflon coated bullets from a major italian manufacturer gave horrible accuracy in some guns. How is it for yours?

BTW, I know (from second-hand sources) that teflon coated bullets from a major italian manufacturer gave horrible accuracy in some guns. How is it for yours?

I think we use the same brand and I can say it is pretty accurate. I've been using it for years.

40S&W .180 lead/teflon coated

1.200 OAL

4.7 Gr N320

Federal Primers

171 PF (verified at Area 8 last year, about 95 degrees and very humid)

I plan on dropping a grain or two of powder to get closer to 165PF.

If I were you I'd leave it alone, mine is about a 174 PF. That gives you an extra cushion just in case.

JJ it does.

Teflon makes'em slicker, it's almost the same difference between lead and plated bullets.

Heard from the airwaves.;) Because back here real teflon is very expensive and the process of proper application is relatively tedious, what we call locally as "teflon-coated" is not really what it is. Instead, it's some kind of black (or other colored) paint just applied to the lead head.

Accuracy, however, is relatively good when I tried to use it in my gun. I just could not bear the smell of it that tends to stick to your nose. That's why I use plated instead. Something to think about for you guys using it exclusively. ;)

mco,

i've never experienced that smell, from whrere do u get what u've tried?

if i'm not mistaken it's some kind of moly coating instead of the Legit Teflon which is so expensive..i was able to have a piece of teflon ammo for 9mm and it is really different from the ones we use for Competitions...

Edited by infinity

Dre,

Have you chrono your load?

mco,

i've never experienced that smell, from whrere do u get what u've tried?

if i'm not mistaken it's some kind of moly coating instead of the Legit Teflon which is so expensive..i was able to have a piece of teflon ammo for 9mm and it is really different from the ones we use for Competitions...