Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Idpa Legal Glock 19 Holster?

Jeremiah

I just got a G19 to play with. Now I need a holster that is legal. Are either the fobus paddle or the uncle mike's paddle legal?

If those are illegal, I need a recommendation for a new holster that will be within the rules (for at least this year) and not break the bank.

Thanks.

Blade tech has an injection molded combo package for $35 , iirc.

Holster/dbl mag pouch and 2 types of holster attachments (loop&paddle).

I wouldn't wish a fobus (or UM) on my worst enemy..

Edited by Mark Perez

The Blackhawk stuff is nice and affordable. But is it legal?

The Blackhawk Kydex holsters are supposed to be legal at this time, at least according to our local club president. You cannot see light between the belt and the holster (though you can between the holster and pivoting belt slide.) I have seen the Serpa holster listed in IDPA state and national matches when the equipment used by competitors is tallied and reported.

As far as I know the Fobus paddle holsters are still legal, though the Uncle Mikes is definitely NOT legal.

+1 on the Blade Tech suggestion. Their holsters are popular with IDPA and IPSC (production) shooters in the area.

The Blade-Tech injection molded holster is probably not legal unless you have a really thick belt. I have used one for years and really like it.

Being the rule follower that I am :lol: I switched to one of the Ready Tactical holsters made by my friend Chris Stewart.

If I get a belt made with thick ass lamb's woolon the outside I can shoot a holster with a gap. <_< Oh wait, did I give away the next great game tweak?? B)

I just use INDUSTRIAL type velcro for the same purpose (filler material) it also makes the holster/mag pouches rock solid if used on the belt tunnel area :blink:

Edited by Crusher

If I get a belt made with thick ass lamb's woolon the outside I can shoot a holster with a gap. <_< Oh wait, did I give away the next great game tweak?? B)

I just use INDUSTRIAL type velcro for the same purpose (filler material) it also makes the holster/mag pouches rock solid if used on the belt tunnel area :blink:

So what you guys are telling me is that the holster rulese aren't that clear cut? Some holsters are legal, some illegal, depending upon who is making the rule or the body type of the shooter wearing it? Or even what belt you have it on?

What are the rules again? There can't be an air space between the holster and the belt and the holster can't be any farther than xx" from you body?

Guys, you need to read the rules.

http://www.idpa.com/Documents/IDPARuleBook2005.pdf

"Belt must be no wider than 1.75" or thicker than 5/16"

and must pass through pants belt loops."

"Must hold the firearm positioned on the body so an object of

¾”width cannot pass between the shooter’s body and the inside

of the firearm when the shooter is standing straight and

upright No spacers or fillers allowed."

"May not position the firearm where the breech face (autos)

or rear of the cylinder (revolvers) is below the center of the

belt. NO drop loops are permitted."

"Probably one of the most popular pouch style holsters is the

current variation of the Uncle Mikes Kydex holster which is NOT

suitable for concealed carry or IDPA competition due to its offset

backpiece, which results in excessive offset from the belt/body."

All my IDPA gear is within the specs provided by the rulebook. Are you saying we can't modify gear/guns to conform to the "letter" of the rules? No day light, 3/4" dowel wil not pass between any part of the handgun and my body, breachface position and holster cutout is within spec, magpouch's cover the required 2", belt meets the requirements and positioning on my body is within the rules (reward of an armpit centerline for the mags and for the trigger).

Yes all the support gear is modified from it's original configuration as supplied from the manufacturer. It still meets the rules, it's just been "personalized" in a world of cookie-cutter technology.

Crusher, if I was a match director, which I'm not, I would rule your INDUSTRIAL velcro in your belt tunnel a "shim" and therefore rule your holster illegal. If you didn't have this shim, you'd most likely have light in the tunnel.

Do I agree with this rule, naaaaa. Is it a rule? Yep.

I'd like to hear others opinions on this, because I'm basically a rookie at IDPA.

What's the ruling on the blade tech? They are on sale!

I have the Blade-Tech injection molded/beltloop holster for a G19/23.

With a wilderness 1.5 inch belt (and the provided quarter inch spacer from BT) there is a sliver (maybe 1mm) of daylight visible through the loop channel and you really have to lay the belt flat to see that.

It rides close enough to the body to deny the 'greater than 3/4" rule on me but I ain't skinny anymore ;)

in my unofficial opinion , it's good-to-go.

The holster itself without all the goodies is less than $20 , iirc - cheap enough to experiment with.

ymmv - but not by much.

Mark

p.s.

Since it's an open-bottom , you can wear a G17 or 34 in it too , if you don't mind the slide sticking out the end. :D

Edited by Mark Perez

If you didn't have this shim, you'd most likely have light in the tunnel.

Nope no light before (comp-tac paddle) no light after, and it is one of the most stable belt holsters (will not move/slide from it's mounted position) I have ever used. It just won't move/slide on the belt whatsoever.

• 3 months later...

The uncle mikes paddle fits closer and doesn't let light through it, and i use it all the time. So if you want a cheap holster that works well get the uncle mike's paddle. The belt holster is now outlawed. The new holster rule is bull if you ask me.

I used Uncle Mikes for yrs in paddle and belt form. I heard from some guys last weekend that they were not legal anymore. I have not really kept up with the rules, but my kids want to start shooting and thought about putting thru IDPA first. I had already ordered them new gear from Uncle Mike's. Now I find out they are not legal. I did not want to go to $75 holsters for them. If they decide they don't like it then I am stuck with holsters I won't use. At least they can use them to shoot Production divsion. I had hoped to break them in slowl with IDPA, but now I think it will be sink or swim in USPSA.

The UM paddle holster is still legal, or you can modify the belt loop by taking the screws out of the bottom of the loop, Put them back into just the holster and use it as a paddle holster. I haven't done it, but several posters here have with success. Remember the words of Gunny Highway "Improvise, adapt, overcome"