Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

bomar bmgl

spook

Hi guys,

I was wondering about the glock specific bo-mar sights. I know bo-mar has the name, but these sights look a little weird. They're sticking out of the back of the gun about .5". Does anyone have experience or has anyone seen a couple of these sights installed on any glock?

I would think it makes the sight a little vulnerable sticking out like that. On the other hand it offers an extended sight radius.

I shot a friends Glock with the exact sight set-up that you are describing and I loved them,

It was really easy to aquire a fast sight picture.

I don't personally care for Glocks but I really liked the sights.

(Edited by bird at 4:34 pm on Aug. 9, 2001)

Have them on a Glock 34 and have come to like them a lot especially for longer/precision shots in IDPA, etc. The overhang was easy to get used to. Brownells no longer stocks them {for Glocks} and Bo-Mar  informed me that they were discontinued although the still had a few pairs left for sale. That said, considering they cost ca. double the Heinie "copy", would probably go with Heinie's if done over again assuming their adj. is not of heavy concern.  

• 2 weeks later...

Chris,

I've been wondering the same thing. I've been wanting to do the EGW thing to my 35 and have front cocking serrations added then hard chrome the slide. I'm guessing at this point that the answer is no (at least for the front cocking serrations) as the rule states "no external modifications other than sights allowed". Looks like I'm gonna have to bug John Amidon again unless one of you guys already has.

Actually I didn't... I'll leave that one up to you

Here is the reply from John Amidon:

Chris,

As  long  as  the sight remains a square notch and post type, changing sights is allowed, the process in how you change them, is not an issue. This would be Ok.

John

So if you want Bomars, ship that top end to EGW.

Yep, I sent him the link and all that.  He said the process involved doesn't matter, just as long as the sights are notch and post.

Would skate tape be allowed on the slide and grips?  This production thing is getting tricky!

• 3 weeks later...

I think the Production class is all about getting people in at the entry level.  No extra equipment needed to compete.  New shooters don't need to see somebody with a slicked out gun beating them in Production.  (I think it is a visual thing.)

I know I don't want to hear someone say they could have won their division but so-and-so did this-and-that to their gun...I guess you gotta spend $xxx to win at this game.

Just my opinion.  

The rule states "no external modifications other than sights".

I e-mailed John Amidon and asked about cocking serations.

Me:

I have a Glock 35 that I shoot in production. I am going to have a gunsmith install a "melt" Bomar BMGL sight and since the slide will need to be refinished can I have front cocking serration's added and have it hard chromed?

John Amidon:

You can replace the sight, have the finish done to the slide as a result of the

sight being replaced, but adding the serration's would fall into an external modification other than sights, and would not be allowed.

PeterK,

You asked if the bomar's would fit the IPSC box.

Here is an unoffical response that I got from another forum:

I checked my 35, installed with the BoMar "drop-in" sights, a custom made fiber optic front (that fits the need for extra height with the drop-in BoMars) and a T.H.E. brass mag well, dropping it into an IPSC box (225mm X 150mm X 45mm).

It isn't the extra length that is an issue, it's the 150mm measurement that is close, at least with mine. My gun clears the box by 5-6mm in the 150mm dimension and more than 15mm in the 225 dimension.

It's going to be the magwell that may cause problems more than the sight, in my opinion.

Hope that helps.