Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

To Tinker Or Not?

Nemo

To finall put my C&R license to use, I just acquired an Argentine "Sistema Colt de 1927" from our absent purple pachyderm friend. The pistola is what they called arsenal refinished and has frame, slide and barrel matching SN.

Ahhh, the crossroads... Should I forget about whatever historical value this piece may have and just turn it into a modern 45 or should I leave it alone?

If customized it won't see much action, it'll mostly be a safe queen. But what a nice project it would make...

:blink::huh:

Waddaya think?

Edited by Nemo

I would already have the new hammer, sear, trigger, grips and magwell installed. :D Not being into machining the sights and beavertail I would have to get those done by my gunsmith. Oh yeah, I vote to trick it out!

-ld

Edited by jhgtyre

Nemo, some of thos guns were built in the USA, by Colt, for Argentina and some were built in Argentina on Colt tooling. The USA guns are better finished and worth more. The guns with origional finish are worth more. I think your gun is Argenita built and has been refinished. Built a really nice SS pistol with that thing( they are really good pistols)-----Larry

Yeap, mine is one the Argentina-built. Right now it's a heavy baby-rattle. Everything has play in this thing.

Flex, that's a lot of info in that website. The guy must've won the lottery or have a very juicy pension. There's no way to do all that while raising kids and with a full-time job.

I'll work the pistol mostly by "credit card gunsmithing".

;)

Flex, that's a lot of info in that website. The guy must've won the lottery or have a very juicy pension. There's no way to do all that while raising kids and with a full-time job.

Hmmmmmm.....

He has lots of stuff on his website now. But, I think he did most things with a budget in mind.

His first project was the Sistemas. I followed his work from that point. If you start at the beginning of that project and follow his progress you will have a great idea of what you can do yourself, and what it costs. He breaks down all the $$$

He also talks about how he paid for some of his projects...often selling stuff on ebay (some of it quite unique).

Edited by Flexmoney

Thanx for the website Flex! I looked at it some more last night and it will be very useful. Kinda' encouraged me to work on the Sistema more that what I had planned. For now let's say I'll do parts fitting and the beveling job (needed to cover the dings on all the edges). All that requires machining and the refinishing will be done by pros.

Fo, I'll ask Joey if he has any more left.

Later

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the project scope changed significantly since the last posting. The crufflers in the office screamed SACRILEGE! when I told them what I had in store for the old Argentine. Thus I circulated a notice telling them if one of them wanted to salvage the virtues of this South American pistola, I'd have to have my investment back. 1/2 hour later I had the moeny in my hands and the argie got replaced by a Springer GI.

Nothing spectacular about these but with a little TLC hopefully it will get there. Tried it as you see it here at the indoor range near the house and was surprised by its accuracy. Was more surprised that I could shoot such a group with those teeny sights.

I want to build the gun with parts that I already have in store. The only things that I'd have to buy are a single side safety and sights. Hopefully the postman left a small Brownells box at the house today.

More to come. Stay tuned.

post-2776-1140724244.jpg

post-2776-1140724495.jpg

Edited by Nemo

SingleStack,

I'd definitely like to pimp it but I promised myself (actually Mrs. Nemo) that was not the purpose of this one... then again, maybe in the future.

Note to self:

REPEAT MANY TIMES: I will work this gun myself with whatever is already at the house! :unsure:

Fireant,

buying them, doing some garage g-smithin', take them to indoor after the office and then tinkering with them some more is no problem. You can never have too many guns.

But your gun-of-the-month club is different. You can never make up your mind what you're going to shoot for the next match. I promised myself that for SY-06 (shooting year 2006) I'll only compete with my smokewagon and so it's been. We're maybe 6 matches into the year and you've already played in every division with a different gun. ;):lol:

BTW, I intend to install my first beavertail tonight. Stay tuned.

SingleStack,

I'd definitely like to pimp it but I promised myself (actually Mrs. Nemo) that was not the purpose of this one... then again, maybe in the future.

Note to self:

REPEAT MANY TIMES: I will work this gun myself with whatever is already at the house! :unsure:

Sure.... I hear ya :lol:

SingleStack,

We're maybe 6 matches into the year and you've already played in every division with a different gun. ;):lol:

BTW, I intend to install my first beavertail tonight. Stay tuned.

Not true, my single stack won't be here until next week :rolleyes: I promised myself I'd stick to production this year and now I know I lie to myself and believe it the entire time. :blink: Good luck on that beavertail.

Alright... I've been tossing parts into this pistola from every drawer of my lil' parts cabinet.

STI short trigger

S&A mag guide (take off from my defunct Colt Special Combat Govt)

CMC SS mag release

CMC SS slide release

Nowlin Factory trigger job in a bag (haven't cleaned it up, right now at around 5lb and dragging) This was my backup trigger mechanism. Need replacement.

Set of Gunner's grips

Ed Brown SS grip screws

Wilson SS pin set

Wolff 14lb recoil spring

Hiett Shock buffer

Unknown brand SS recoil spring plug

Yesterday the mail delivered the set of Heinie sights and the CMC thumb safety, so I couldn't wait. The CMC sfty was a very easy fit and it clicks on and off very crispy. Good!

Since I was already in the garage and it was the plan I looked up and found that S&A grip safety but it took me like half an hour to find the jig. Stripped the frame, padded the vise, installed the jig, said my prayer to the DIY gods and drew the bastard, a 12" flat.

Bastardized those horns for about 30 minutes been extra careful since this was my first time. I let the mill bastard slip once and scratched the back of the frame! :angry: (woke up the gods with my Spanish curse words repertoire) When the filing got really close to the jig buttons switched to a swiss #2 cut then to a sanding block with 150 emery, then 400 and finally 600. It was shiny and purty! Tried the safety and it didn't fit, so I had to screw up the polish job with the #2. Two more tries until the thumb safety went in no problem, THEN polished it again.

Here's how it's coming along. Will take the slide to my local gunny today (hopefully) for him to install the Heinies, if not it will be next week.

'Til then...

post-2776-1140788349.jpg

post-2776-1140788369.jpg

oh it's like that...

you guys are gonna make me drag out pics of THE Springer.

Started life as a Mil Spec, because I like them better than the GI as a base gun, prettier serrations.

slide and Frame are all that remain, but it's pretty much the nicest pistol I've ever handled, including most of the big names. PaulW and Blkbrd have seen it.

Someone PM's me as a reminder I'll post pics tonight. It's all black so it's tough to photograph, but suffice it to say, I have been cautioned against displaying it, as several primitive tribes began worshiping it after it's last viewing. B) It's Tacti-licious.

Edited by dirtypool40

Oh yeah... <_< But, did you work it yourself? I also have a tactilicious Springer tricked out by Canyon-Creek Rich. Flat black (or should I say tac black) and all. :D

I agree with you Eric, I also like the MilSpec better. The serrations and the ejection port are much nicer. BUT it defeated the purpose of this project. This one I got for about the same $$ as the Sistema, actually $30 more. The MilSpec would've been about $150 more and that would've required justification, again defeating the purpose. The only things I've had to purchase so far have been the sights and safety. The rest are from the over-the-years accumulation of parts from take-offs, prize tables, bought the wrong thing or changed my mind and never returned it.

This one will be a bare-bones dull 1911, no checkering or nothing, just what I have the abilities and the tools to do myself, again except for the sights installation and lowering the EP.

QUESTION: What kind of file should I use to raise the triggerguard under cut? Anyone?

Oh yeah... <_< But, did you work it yourself? I also have a tactilicious Springer tricked out by Canyon-Creek Rich. Flat black (or should I say tac black) and all. :D

I agree with you Eric, I also like the MilSpec better. The serrations and the ejection port are much nicer. BUT it defeated the purpose of this project. This one I got for about the same $$ as the Sistema, actually $30 more. The MilSpec would've been about $150 more and that would've required justification, again defeating the purpose. The only things I've had to purchase so far have been the sights and safety. The rest are from the over-the-years accumulation of parts from take-offs, prize tables, bought the wrong thing or changed my mind and never returned it.

This one will be a bare-bones dull 1911, no checkering or nothing, just what I have the abilities and the tools to do myself, again except for the sights installation and lowering the EP.

QUESTION: What kind of file should I use to raise the triggerguard under cut? Anyone?

aqui lo tienes...

SUKONTHISAWONTIME!!!!

The devil is in the detials and I won't bore you with them here. But no, I had nothing to do with the building of this masterpiece.

No, I will not tell you who built it, and no I will not use that gunsmith anymore or refer customers to him. BUT, all that being said this is a ridiculously nice pistol.

post-551-1140811559.jpg

post-551-1140812088.jpg