Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A Man, A Plan, A Canal, Panama!

As Chuck says, full results are up. I got 3rd Open, but I'm especially happy with the gold stage win medal.

Took a ton of pictures of the Panama Canal today and some of the awards last night which are slowly uploading.

As Chuck says, full results are up. I got 3rd Open, but I'm especially happy with the gold stage win medal.

Took a ton of pictures of the Panama Canal today and some of the awards last night which are slowly uploading.

Good job! Sure would like a burn of your pictures you took there,,,hint hint,,, ;)

FWIW, More canal pictures on the way, including Pacific-bound transits of the Miraflores locks by the 50,000 ton Madame Butterfly roll-on-roll-off carrier and the 60,000 ton "Panamax" container ship Maren Maersk (according to Maersk's web site, next to see land on Feb 23rd in Japan)

"Panamax" ships are built to the maximum dimensions of the canal-- the Miraflores locks allow ships 32.3m (106') wide and 294.1m (965') long, the Maren Maersk dimensions are exactly that, to within inches-- which leaves about two feet of water on either side of the boat and about twelve feet free at either end in the lock-- it's fascinating to watch.

Back home tomorrow..

Just got in from Panama.

Pro's:

- The best match book I've seen.

- The best awards ceremony I've been to.

- The nicest trophies I've ever seen.

- The best food at the awards dinner.

- Some of the most inventive stages I've seen in a match.

- Extremely courteous hosts

- Close range to hotels

- The most impressive use of 6 ranges I've seen.

Con's:

- Only 6 ranges.

- Hotel staff (gave away 5 rooms Ricardo Lee was holding for competitors)

- Prop problems (with the stage turnaround and prop building between competition days, this was bound to happen)

- Changing of stages in the middle of the match (One stage was altered right in front of us by placing a new wall in an area that prevented competitors from shooting it in a more advantageous way. On another, a squad found a way to shoot at a popper from an awkward position to activate targets earlier, and were then simply told to reshoot the stage the way it was originally designed).

This left a bad taste in many peoples' mouths. Sometimes we find a way to shoot a stage better or different from what was intended, but that's called competition. These are things that should be looked at when the stages are constructed and "bulletproofed." It was an unfortunate set of circumstances that otherwise surronded a very enjoyable match.

I must say this was one of me and Denielle's most enjoyable trips. We wish we had more time to spend there. My hats off to Ricardo Lee and all of the people that made this match a success.

And to set the records straight, Mike Voight is the rightful winner of Standard Division. I thought that he beat me by 20 or so points, and it turns out that I was right. His score on stage 14 was entered as 29.09sec, but was 20.09sec. This made the difference between first and second. Congratulations to Mike, and I wish we could've noticed this error while in Panama.

Congrats to all of the winners, and thanks to everyone for another enjoyable visit to my other family.

Phil

Changing of stages in the middle of the match (One stage was altered right in front of us by placing a new wall in an area that prevented competitors from shooting it in a more advantageous way. On another, a squad found a way to shoot at a popper from an awkward position to activate targets earlier, and were then simply told to reshoot the stage the way it was originally designed

That happened to me first trip to Bolivia for thier Nats. I had borrwed a G17 and was working hard. I ripped a 20 round course a second or so faster than the top Standard guy and only down two charlies.

Suddenly, the course needed adjusting and I was "allowed" to shoot it again the way they wanted me to. No real gaming I just took a target early and a couple on the move. They didn't see this in set up, and I found it.

And to set the records straight, Mike Voight is the rightful winner of Standard Division. I thought that he beat me by 20 or so points, and it turns out that I was right. His score on stage 14 was entered as 29.09sec, but was 20.09sec. This made the difference between first and second. Congratulations to Mike, and I wish we could've noticed this error while in Panama.

Classy move Phil. Bravo. I bet you woulda won if you had my sexy 19 round mags? Or did you finally get your own?

• 2 weeks later...