Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Will The Government Sell Off The M9's

Yeah, ya, know, kinda like how the Civilian Marksmanship Program sells M1 Garands.

Here is a link on the specifications for the new pistola:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joint_Combat_Pistol

I wonder how a used and abused M9 would look with a nice hard chrome finish.

Now if I could just dovetail a fiber optic front sight into one of those.

Maybe that is one reason Berretta is discontinuing production of some variants of the M9.

Chills

I'm guessing the ten rounders are for training and peacekeeping........in California!!! LOL

Let's hope the American gun makers get off their collective asses and at least field something that's not embarrassing.

HK's time and money spent on teh SOCOM became the USP. What did Colt field? and What did we see out of it as a result. Yeah, nice work boys.

I guess Kimber and Smith have something "Glock like" if they can hang a manual safety on it. No offense to Kimber, but I would love to see S&W actually back in the pistol business. Or Colt. (Bwahhhahahaha, :P he said "Colt" and "getting off their asses". No seriously he did, I heard it!!)

God save us from slide mounted decockers. <_<

I wonder who will threaten us with base closures if we don't adopt their pistol this time. :rolleyes: If Georgia threatens sanctions we could get Glocks. ;)

What I want to know is why do they need 3 times more mag holders than magazines??? ;) heh heh....

They also had nearly three time more handgun than magazines. Is it going to be a buddy system on the magazines?

No, the plan is probably somehting like: make an initial buy of X pistols, so make sure you have 3X magazines. Mag pouches get worn with uniforms even when there is no requirement to be armed.

As for the surplus M9s, don't hold your breath. Along with all the other crimes Clinton should be charged with, government property is now government property from creation to destruction. "Surplus?" Hah! Our only hope is some pencil-necked accountant deep in the Pentagon. When he hears it costs money to melt, but the government gets paid to transfer M9s to the CMP, then it just might happen.

If not for an accountant, maybe a whole bunch of "lunch box" or...mnmn..."mess kit" specials.

Nah...that probably won't happen either.

The Gub'mint could part 'em out and then take bids, probably sealed/silent bids, on whole pallet loads of frames, slides, grips, barrels, springs, guide rods, etc. These bids could come from anybody or any entity from Joe Sixpack on the street to some bigger pistol smithing companies. Langdon, maybe?

Now, that is something messed up enough I could see the Gub'mint doing.

Chills

Dang! I wuz wishing for a surplus HMMV when their replacement comes, too.

Maybe an email to the CMP is in order. MMMnn....

The standard capacity mags are probably for peace time. When We would pull gaurd duty on an ammo dump, there would be 6 gaurds 1 ball bat, one M9 and 5 bullets :wacko: . Gues they didnt want someone going postal and doing a mass murder suicide. No, there were no pistol rounds in the ammo dump, all big stuff, like 7.62 up to 120mm M1A1 rounds.

You can probably forget the Gov. selling off surplus arms, the liberal half of the Gov. wants to disarm us anyways.

No, the plan is probably somehting like: make an initial buy of X pistols, so make sure you have 3X magazines. Mag pouches get worn with uniforms even when there is no requirement to be armed.

That explains the mag pouches, but not why there are nearly 3x more guns than magazines. 12 men with mag pouches. 4 of them have magazines, 1 has a pistol. :ph34r:

I doubt that folks would be required to wear mag pouches if they ain't packing the new heat.

I'm assuming that the gun would come shipped with at least one magazine already, it's just the Wikipedia link about doesn't specifically say what the guns are shipped with.

Anyhooo... I sent an email off to CMP and asked about the M9's when they eventually get replaced.

I was surfing thru their FAQ's and one asked specifically about the old 1911 .45's becoming available thru the CMP. The answer was "NO".

So I doubt surplus M9's will be going thru them either.

Here is a link:

http://www.odcmp.com/faqs.htm

M-14's aren't available either, but you can get up to 8 Garands a year though.

That's probably because the M-14 is fully automatic. Now, if a properly licensed entrepenuer could buy up the surplus M-14's and convert them to semi, that would be something. Ah heck, convert 'em into the new SOCOM 3's that Springfield Armory is advertising so much about.

Click that link above and do a little surfing on their site, you'll see that they want some bucks for an H & R Garand, around $1,400.

Cha Ching!

Chills

As for the surplus M9s, don't hold your breath. Along with all the other crimes Clinton should be charged with, government property is now government property from creation to destruction. "Surplus?" Hah! Our only hope is some pencil-necked accountant deep in the Pentagon. When he hears it costs money to melt, but the government gets paid to transfer M9s to the CMP, then it just might happen.

Agreed. Unless they can find a way to funnel through DCM somehow, then everything gets cut to pieces before it can come back in. What's worse is that they are likely to be "donated" as foreign aid to countries like Iraq, Afganistan, etc. before they would ever turn them over to DCM/CMP. I wish this were not the case, but I have to agree w/ Patrick's pesimism here.

Yeah, I noticed on the CMP website that the Garands are coming (back)from places like Denmark and Greece.

I did receive a reply to my email about the M9's.

The answer was " no sir, we will not be getting any pistols."

I could just rant about Bill Clinton....

Chills

Vast numbers of 1911's were, as I understand, in arsenal storage. Until recently WW2 vintage 1911's were being rebuilt and upgraded for various special units. The gentlemen at Quantico apparantly exhauseted their supply and that's how the Kimber Warrior contract came about. From what I understand from NRA publications thousands of 1911's were sold to the public throughout the 1950's. And thousands more are in storage in places like the Philippines and South Korea.

As for M14's legend says they were mostly cut up in the 60's.

Clinton is not entirely to blame for surplus arms returning to domestic shores. Bush Sr's Executive Order ended most all importations of miliary surplus.

M9's will most assuredly be torched.

You guys really want 20 year old aluminum frame M9's, which mostly gone finish and who knows how many rounds through them? I mean, Garands at least have some real history and pleasing to the eye, the M9 looks like a small steam engine with all those external moving bits. I'm sure Dave Olhaso whould still kick my butt with the worst of them, but I dont want one.

Someone wanted to do this a few years ago (I even wrote my Senators and Congressman about it) but I was told it wasn't going to happen. They were/are being cut up for scrap. Damn shame, especially with our national debt. A lot of semi-auto M-14s at about $500-1000 a piece would raise a ton of money.

<snip>

M-14's aren't available either, but you can get up to 8 Garands a year though.

That's probably because the M-14 is fully automatic. Now, if a properly licensed entrepenuer could buy up the surplus M-14's and convert them to semi, that would be something. Ah heck, convert 'em into the new SOCOM 3's that Springfield Armory is advertising so much about.

Click that link above and do a little surfing on their site, you'll see that they want some bucks for an H & R Garand, around $1,400.

Cha Ching!

Chills

In reference to the M-14, when I got out of the Navy in '97 we still had an armory full of M-14's on the ship. The Navy also was still using the 1911's for shipboard use. As a side note, the Navy was the last to give up the '03 Springfield, and the M-1 as well. They went as far as having .308 adapters made for the '06 chambers.

Huston in Austin USN ret.

There is/was a program that allowed for LEO agencies to get guns like the M-14's...for next to nothing.

The same is true of older M16s. Some depts. get them reeeeaaaly cheap.

The department I used to work for got about 20 M16 A1's for shipping costs only. Of course they just had to convert most of them to semi-auto to take ALL of the fun out of it.

I happen to know of at least one full-auto M-14 from the same program riding around in a squad car trunk.