Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My Friend Mr.xd Is Buying A Glock!

WildWest N AZ

Ok my friend got a XD a year ago and has ranted about hom much nicer his XD was than my Glock oh you would need boots if I keep going about everthing he said about the Glock.

Anyway he shoots USPSA with me all the time and at are local club they give pins out if you win your division on thursday nights. He wasnt able to ever get the win with his gun so I recently bought a 35 which he some what liked wow. He asked if he could use it this last thursday I said sure. Holy Hell he not only shoot the best ever but won his division with my 35. Boy oh boy did I give him a ear full of shit! He than began to tell me hom much nicer my Glock handled than his XD. Needless to say he is picking up a 34 this week! I cant believe it after everthing he said about the Glock and that he would never buy one he's getting one! :blink: I just thought this was funny and you fellow Glockers would get a kick out of this little story. :D

Edited by WildWest N AZ

I like both Glocks and XD. Right now I shoot a tricked out XD, but if I ever decide to shoot something else it will be a G34. It is hard to find a more reliable good shooting gun then a 34.

One question about your buddies XD has he had any work done to it, or is bone stock??

I think a major selling point for guys that shoot 1911's or STI, SVI's is that they shoot the XD b/c it doesnt mess up their natural point they have developed. The Glock is an entirely different grip angle and point. That's the number one reason Im sticking with my Glocks. I shot my 1911's, STI's for years and made GM with it in Limited, but when I took a 1-2 years break from IPSC, I wanted to try Production. Well, the Glock was my first choice and I think the right one, but b/c of all the training I had with the STI, it took me about 6-12 months to get into a groove again shooting that Glock.

First b/c of the trigger and that it is different, but mostly because of the pointing. Trying to re-train myself after almost 10 years of training with on thing really took some re-training and undoing. But Im now starting to improve shooting that Glock, which is why when I dabble in Limited/Lim 10, I stick with a Glock to not screw up that pointing Ive now established.

I have an XD-9 5-inch slide version that's been improved (trigger job, extended mag release, Dawson sights, Tru-grips) that I've used to shoot USPSA Production. I got it because I'd had the 4-inch slide version for some years and was used to it. I then bought a CZ-85 and found that I could shoot better with the CZ even with the DA first shot. The XD seems top heavy almost as if just the slide were resting on the top of my clenched fist. I don't have a steady hand, and with the seemingly top heavy XD the result apears to be that the gun is often "shaken" off POA, particularly since there's only at most 10 rounds of ballast in the grip and less as the gun emptys. The CZ appears to have a lower center of gravity which seems to make the difference for me.

I've only tried a Glock (17) once for a bit, not quite enough to tell if it had a lower center of gravity than the XD or not. Although the Glock did point too high for me due to that obnoxious bump on the lower backstrap. I wonder if this is what the difference is for your friend? Perhaps you could ask him what he thinks about this.

Edited by Eager

Holy Hell he not only shoot the best ever but won his division with my 35.

Don't get me wrong, I love Glocks. But this sounds like "trick of the day" syndrome to me. Make a change and all of sudden everything is new, uncomplicated, and vivid. Funny how it works.

Grunt

I'm a long time Glock basher. Nothing against the gun, as I had never shot one, just the thought of polymer instead of steel.

Then today I bought a Glock 35 in a moment of no self control. I have no idea what I'll do with it, but I have the gun once I figure it out. I guess we all change.

I'm a Glock shooter and my name is Rick. :unsure:

I wanted to start off that way just so you knew where I stand. If your buddy threw you for a loop by buying the Glock, did ya hear that Flex bought an XD?

I'm still waiting for his report on the critter.

At a recent gun show, one of the areas largest dealer said that they were questioned by Glock why the current sales of XDs are higher than the current sale of Glock products. The dealer thought it was price point alone.

Bluntly they are both fine weapons. I like the Glock more. More aftermarket parts availability, easier to work on yourself. The XD's trigger is superior if you get Rich at Canyon Creek to do the work. They both go bang. It's the Indian not the arrow. Like previous said, if you shoot a 1911 or 2011 the XD is the better transition gun because of the grip.

Rick