Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Show Me Your Esp Gun

Fireant

O.K. I've decide to have a new blaster built. I want it to serve double duty. USPSA limited and IDPA ESP. So I know I need a short dust cover bushing barrel gun in .40 cal. What slide cuts are acceptable? can I use the tactical frame with the light rail? Let me see what some of you use. I've searched and only found SS type guns. I'm not interested in that or any Glocks.

Thanks.

Here's just what you're talking about.

SV short light rail.

F&R serrations.

Ball cut in the slide rounds that (so far) haven't raised too many hackles

Bushing barrel.

Plastic Mainspring housing

Plastic box legal Krebs magwell.

ss one piece guide rod.

Derek Janowicz at Mellenium Custom built it anad it just runs and runs and runs.

Finish is Birdsong's Black-t. Holster wear is from six months coming out of a kydex, but other than that the gun feels really slick.

Mostly I shoot IPSC "Standard", and now that I am stateside, USPSA Limited, but this does get carried and shot in IDPA ESP.

post-551-1138576135_thumb.jpg

post-551-1138576190_thumb.jpg

Edited by dirtypool40

I will try to get a pic posted but.. I had a friend weight my (new to me) STI Eagle 9mm bushing barrel 5" today. With no magwell and a 10rd. 126mm mag it weighted - on his digital trigger scale - 42.9oz. With a magwell I am worried it will not make weight....

DP - looks like you have been doing some reloads with yours. That magwell has seen better days.. ;) I'm impressed.

I will try to get a pic posted but.. I had a friend weight my (new to me) STI Eagle 9mm bushing barrel 5" today. With no magwell and a 10rd. 126mm mag it weighted - on his digital trigger scale - 42.9oz. With a magwell I am worried it will not make weight....

DP - looks like you have been doing some reloads with yours. That magwell has seen better days.. ;) I'm impressed.

Merlin, use a GI guide rod and plastic ms housing!

Thanks Merlin.

Mine is about as light as I think you could get one without an alloy guide rod. Not sure anywhere else weight could legally come from. But I shoot IPSC / USPSA with it that way too.

As to the mag well; it's IPSC Standard legal and squishes just a little like a Dawson Ice does. Race cars use tires and I have to replace it a couple times a year. But yes, you are correct, I have practiced reloads a bit.

Last weekend after practicing movement for a while I did a little check up on reloads. I hit a couple 4 shot drills of draw two, reload two, and the first two loads went .87 and .85 which is about as fast as I can go. Even got them on tape, I'll see about posting them somewhere. No I won't post all the bad ones. B)

Great for me. Maybe it's practice, but I shoot a light gun better than I ever shot a heavy weight. I've been shooting 173pf IPSC Standard loads for the last year or so, and it was snappy but quick to return. Now heavy long dc guns just feel sluggish.

Every one has some similar story to tell, but I have had guys want to chrono my loads because it shoots pretty flat.

I run a light spring and the slide to frame is wicked smooth, part from 25k rounds, part from the teflon finish. My buddy in Bolivia had a wrist problem, he said it was too violent for him, but flaaaaat. He shot a heavy gun, but it flipped more.

I haven't shot it much with minor IDPA loads, but I imagine it's about like a squirt gun.

There's a match this weekend. Time to find out. IPSC Saturday, IDPA Sunday, then the Superbowl. Life's good. B)

Edited by dirtypool40

Here is a crappy pic of mine in the IDPA box:

in-box.jpg

It is a factory SV "Cross Competitor" (ala Matt Burkett) in 9mm. Everything is 100% SV. At the time I didn't shoot USPSA so I didn't think of getting it in .40. This gun runs great and is super accurate. The key thing for IDPA is getting a magwell and magazine/basepads that fit in the box. A factory SV magwell with SV 124mm mags and SV aluminum wedge basepads works great (as you can see in the pic). The gun has clearance on all sides and is easy to get out of the box for stages with a box start.

I recently got an Open gun from Derek and would recommend his work too.

Alright, keep the pictures and info coming. Also if anyone has something similar for sale I might be interested in buying a used one and figuring out what I like before dropping the cash on a brand new one first.

My ESP gun was in 9x19 as I had a STI short dustcover in .40 with a bullbarrel for USPSA..

it shot Winchester WhiteBox really well..tight groups and ran the day I picked it up from the gunsmith..

post-627-1138644388_thumb.jpg

My ESP gun was in 9x19 as I had a STI short dustcover in .40 with a bullbarrel for USPSA..

it shot Winchester WhiteBox really well..tight groups and ran the day I picked it up from the gunsmith..

post-627-1138644388_thumb.jpg

No reason to post a pic of my gun now (9x19) as it is a carbon copy of Stuart's.

Shoot less than 2" at 25 yards with Winchester White Box. 11lb. recoil spring and 2 coils cut off the hammer spring works extremely well. :wub:

• 2 weeks later...

Slight thread drift:

I'm running a S_I in 9mm in a similar configuration as some of the above for ESP. I get 100% lock back and no hammer follow with a 2.5 lb trigger pull. I'd like to go lighter but it seems that dropping the slide on a slide-lock reload is very tough on the sear. Anything around 2 lbs. seems to get the hammer following. Question: What trigger pull weights are you using. Anybody had this problem, or have a fix, or should I be happy with what I've got.

Slight thread drift:

I'm running a S_I in 9mm in a similar configuration as some of the above for ESP. I get 100% lock back and no hammer follow with a 2.5 lb trigger pull. I'd like to go lighter but it seems that dropping the slide on a slide-lock reload is very tough on the sear. Anything around 2 lbs. seems to get the hammer following. Question: What trigger pull weights are you using. Anybody had this problem, or have a fix, or should I be happy with what I've got.

Bout two pounds even. No problems ... yet..?

Make sure you have an 11# or under recoil spring. I find a heavier recoil spring will give you hamer follow in fat frame guns

My SV trigger runs about 1.75 lbs and has been OK so far with a 10-12lb recoil spring. That is how the gun came from the factory.

I would be happy with a 2.5lb trigger if it was dead to nuts reliable and felt good. Under 2.5lb and it better be setup by someone who knows what they are doing.

Also a slide lock reload should not be an issue for the trigger guts as loading the round from the magazine slows things down. What is not recommended with lighter triggers is dropping the slide forward from slide lock with no magazine in the gun at all. Again it all depends on how you set it up. I have heard that some folks know how to setup a light trigger that is pretty durable. I'm not one of them. :)

Edited by vincent

Slight thread drift:

Get a good gun smith to do a trigger job ... tell him what weight you want ... he should be able to go as low as 1.5 lb. with no problems ... I like 1.75 myself with an emphasis put on the trigger reset as it is what you use most of the time. if your mixing titanium and steel parts you can run into some issues.

2.5 LB for Idpa is probably fine ... and shouldn't effect your shooting.

+1 on don't worry about the sear on reloads...just don't slam it when it's empty.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok first off i don't believe you can tell the difference in the feel of a quarter pound trigger pull. Trigger pull is soooo subjective to how chrisp the trigger is the amount of bearing surface the sear and hammer have.

Dropping a slide on an empty chamber is always a bad idea.. buy some dummy rounds or load them on your press (no primer no powder and make them a funky color (brass black works great as does a magic marker) It also simulates a loaded magazine. When the slide is dropped on an empty chamber it causes the parts to bounce and smack together in a less than uniform or intended manner this destroys light trigger jobs and over time can damage a stock factory trigger in a 1911.

I have heard light rails may not be legal on 1911's in the future. but do not have the rule book handy on that one... as long as the gun makes weight it should not be a problem though.

• 4 weeks later...

Here are two of my IDPA-legal Limited guns. I'd never liked the double-stacks before and shot single-stacks in both CDP and ESP, but after shooting these two - I don't even want to shoot anything else. :o

Tripp2_2.jpg

STI_01.jpg

Those are two sweet looking blasters. How about some details on them please?

The top one:

- STI frame with modified STI magwell (to make it IDPA legal)

- Caspian slide with 25lpi cocking serrations and "French border"

- Brown beavertail, thumb safety, and most of other small parts

- C&S ignition components (ultra light match)

- SV trigger

- KKM Precision barrel, W/N ramp

- Bo-Mar rear sight; Brazos Micro Dot front

- Built by Virgil Tripp

The bottom one is very similar to the first one with some minor differences:

- STI slide

- Nowlin barrel

- Modified EGW front sight

Both are hard chrome plated by Virgil.