Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Left Handed Ejection Problem

Robbie Wheaton Jr

I need help. Are there any gunsmiths out there who have built a open gun for a left hand shooter? The problem I am having is during ejection the brass is hitting my left thumb. Sometimes the brass bounces back into the ejection port causing a jam, or the empty brass will be left hanging out the side of the ejection port with the slide partially closed. When the cases do eject (about 75% of the time) they only go about 2ft from the gun. This is a 9mm open gun with a allchin mount and a cmore. I have tried recoil springs from 7lb to 10lb, Both straight and variable. I have also tried the light recoil master. This does not have an effect on how far the brass is ejected. I have an Aftec with both springs installed. I have tried it with one spring on the front and with only one spring on the rear. Not really any change in the ejection pattern either way. If anyone can help me with this problem I would really appreciate it. (PLEASE do not say start shooting right handed or cut off my thumb, I Suck shooting right handed and cannot brush my teeth without a thumb)

it sounds to me more like a problem with the shape of the ejector nose itself. if everything else is okay then the ejector may need to be properly cut to kick the cases out the ejection port at the proper angle. if it kicks them out to high they will hit the bottom of the scope mount and the come down and hit your thumb or if they are ejecting too low they are hitting the inside of the ejection port and bouncing up and either hitting the mount and then your thumb or just falling out and landing near your feet. call me monday if you like so i can ask you a few questions and possibly tell you what you can try to correct your problem.

Dan Bedell 716-681-2248 ;)

+1 on Dan's reccomendation. A major load and 7 lb spring should throw brass 5 yards away. I feel them hit my thumb very rarely, and never back into the gun so it is possible to shoot lefty and not have a problem.

It sounds like its just a matter of tuning the ejector to hit the brass in the right spot it give it the proper exit angle.

Try this one on.......tuning a Kimber conversion 22lr to eject out of a single stack with

C-More Serendipity on. That was a nightmare to tune. That was my first open gun when I started.

Flyin40

WOW! Does this thread bring back some memories!!!

My first major match, I had 9 jams. About the 5th one, I figured out brass was hitting my left thumb. (I'm a lefty too!) Once I figured it out, my buddies all offereed to cut my thumb off, a solution that would work, but I declined :)

It took me awhile to figure out it wasn't a gun problem. At some point, I had changed the position of my thumb. In trying to point it forward, it was actually bending up. By paying attention to it, I was able to train myself to keep my thumb down.

You might want to video tape yourself. Especially shooting fast, or anything might might add tension to your grip.

Steve Pitt

p.s.- At the 2005 Open Natl's, I experienced another lefty unique issue.

I had a piece of brass bounce off a wall, hit my hand and jam between my trigger and trigger finger. (My finger was momentarily out of the trigger guard for movement).

I shot the rest of the stage (10 shots) with that brass lodged there! It's tough to shoot fast that way!!!

Could be, but The gun is only ejecting the brass about a foot out of the gun when shooting right handed. I have been shooting limited with no issues for several years. I have also shot several other open guns, both 9mm and 38 super/comp and have never had this issue before. I wonder if it is a combination of extractor and ejector. I spoke with Dan Bedell last night and he advised me to first start with the ejector and tune it with the scope off the gun. I will try this later in the week and report back my findings. My loads are HS-6 169 pf and 7625 169.7 pf. Neither load will eject farther than about a foot out of the gun. I have a light recoil master in the gun, but have tried everything from a 7lb straight to a 11 lb variable no change. I upped the pf to 180 and got the brass to eject about 1.5 ft out of the gun. So I do not feel it is the loads or the recoil springs. If anyone has experienced a ejection problem similar to this right or left handed please let me know what the fix was.

Robbie,

Try disassembling the gun. Pull out the barrel/comp assembly and turn it so that the lower lug ( feed ramp and barrel link) is facing up. Look on both sides of the lug at approx 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock if you are looking from the chamber end of the barrel and see if you have a line where the slide is making a track lengthwise along side of that lower lug. Sometimes if a gun is set up with a short link the barrel gets pulled down hard against the inside of the slide as the gun unlocks. This slows down the velocity of the slide to the point that it doesn't eject the brass very far or at all sometimes. It also doesn't matter how light or heavy the recoil spring is when this is happening. Good luck.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 years later...

old thread but i've got the same problem here with my HPS open gun...

the ejection is very flat, the brass flies almost backwards and often against my left thumb.

i think i have to get a new ejector, maybe one of the tuned ones of brazos custom.

what do you think?

it's a pit that here in austria there are no real dealers who offer 2011 ejector tuning and have the knowledge of it :-(

greetings, chris

Edited by wagncn

I need help. Are there any gunsmiths out there who have built a open gun for a left hand shooter? The problem I am having is during ejection the brass is hitting my left thumb. Sometimes the brass bounces back into the ejection port causing a jam, or the empty brass will be left hanging out the side of the ejection port with the slide partially closed. When the cases do eject (about 75% of the time) they only go about 2ft from the gun. This is a 9mm open gun with a allchin mount and a cmore. I have tried recoil springs from 7lb to 10lb, Both straight and variable. I have also tried the light recoil master. This does not have an effect on how far the brass is ejected. I have an Aftec with both springs installed. I have tried it with one spring on the front and with only one spring on the rear. Not really any change in the ejection pattern either way. If anyone can help me with this problem I would really appreciate it. (PLEASE do not say start shooting right handed or cut off my thumb, I Suck shooting right handed and cannot brush my teeth without a thumb)

Robbie,

Take a look at your brass .It will tell you a story .

fire a new virgin piece out of your gun .look for the mark made in the rim slot for the exstractor.this will tell you the position of the case as it was fired .Also will give you a snapshot of the chamber walls any ridges shown indicates a rough chamber in need of polishing

after you have found the index look for a dent in the case mouth@ the 2 to 3 oclock position from the back.this would indicate a low angle needing you to move the strike point down on the ejector.thus changinging the angle more up. If there are no marks on the rim the suspect would be the scope mount and the brass should be dinging up the bottom of the mount somewhere.in this case a move up on the ejector post would raise the strike point moving the patern down.

with a 169 pf and a 7 pound spring the case has to be hitting something. A note most people suspect the the scope so Dan's sugestion of removing the scope can be a life saver.I have found that most people asume that the scope is suspect but overlook the port.

something also to consider is the exstractor .the 9mm has but a .022" rimslot verses the .033" slot on the super thats a 50% reduction in surface area.

the exstractor should be configured to contact the rimslot with out touching the relief angle of the case .Some exstractors on the long side of the machining tolerances combined with a short breach to firing pin stop slot can put the exstractor in contact with the relief.the solution in this case is a shorter exstractor but not to short as to bind the case on the way up the breach as the cartridge ramps up.The reason I bring this up is a bad exstractor can make tuning imposible

as tension will vary from one case to the next especialy with mixed brass.

MHO

johnny

John

Edited by Mad Scientist

• 2 weeks later...