Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cz Malfunction--mags Don't Drop

DogmaDog

Hey all,

Last time I practiced with my CZ-75b, I had problems with magazines not dropping free. It seems that the top round in the magazine moves forward and prevents the magazine from dropping out. I don't know if the round moves forward when the gun is fired, or when a round is chambered, or what.

I only shot it with Blazer ammo, and the problem occured with all magazines, both 10 and 15 rounds, and seemed to occur regardless of how many rounds were left in the magazine.

Anyone else have this problem? Any ideas on what causes it, or how to fix it?

Thanks much,

DogmaDog

Does your CZ still have the magazine brake in place? If so you will want to remove that and either replace it with a flat one or just leave it out (which is what I did on the last one I had that came w/ a brake).

-ld

Are you using stock mag springs? If so how old? I have attributed the problem to be the springs push the next round up so fast that the slide is not yet done moving and pushes the round forward. I could be very wrong, but my older mags work fine.

This is an easy fix. Some CZ pistols have a habit of the top rd in the mag walking forward when the slide closes. The tip of the bullet then hangs up on the inside of the slide stop, on the little nub. These are the reasons it happens:

1. Mag spring is too weak. The rds in the mag need upward pressure to remain where they need to be. Replace the spring.

2. Burr on underneath of slide or that surface is rough. You can polish this with a dremel to make it smoother so it does not grab the top rd and move it forward.

3. For a little piece of mind you can grind the slide stop nub back quite a bit and it still functions, locking the slide back. Off the top of my head I think you can grind about .050" off of it. Just look for brass marks on it and that will give you an idea.

That should cure it.

Thanks gents,

I disabled the mag brake by bending it at bit. Mags drop free if I just put them in, and then hit the mag release. It's definitely a round moving forward and catching on the front surface of the mag well, or some other bit of pistol innards.

I had some problems a few months ago I believed were caused by weak mag springs. I replaced all the mag springs, and those problems stopped.

There does appear to be a small burr on the stripper rail inside the slide. What tool should I use to remove it? I have a dremel, but do I use a felt wheel with some kind of polishing compound, or what?

I'll mess around with the slide stop, too--it does look like it sticks out quite a bit farther than it needs to.

Thanks for all your help,

DogmaDog

I've had the very same problem. In my case it was solved by new springs and squeezing the front of the feed lips some. It changes some of the angle at which the next round is presented and it doesnt drag on the slide as much.

I have this problem too (I often have to strip the mag out with weak hand in matches) and it's not the mag springs (I have new MecGars and installed the Wulff extra power spings in my CZ mags and still have problem). I have heard of the deburr/polish solution before but don't really know where to polish. Sure would be nice to see some pics. :) Regardless I will persevere in reading about this fix and studying my gun.

Take the slide off and turn it upside down. Now look at the part under the firing pin, between the ejection port and and firing pin safety plunger. The center is raised, the sides have channels. The center and its edges are the parts that drag on the bullets in the magazine. If there are machine marks or burs that could be your problem. While you are there look at the angle that center rail makes with he breach face. Mine was very sharp and abrupt. Other CZ's are slightly rounded. I rounded mine up some as well.

Does your problem happen with ALL your mags or only some. I marked mine (with bits of brown tape) as they failed and I noticed over time that the failure happened with only 3 of my mags, and never with the rest.

Edited by Vlad

Yeah. That helps. I'll polish the flat of the center rail with my Dremel.

I guess I want to break over the edge between the flat of the center rail and the breach face, with a small stone or fine sandpaper, right?

And also the side edges of the center rail, or does that matter?