Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Holster For A PPC Gun

Chuck Anderson

Try a Safariland #002 "Cup Challenge" holster. They will handle the bull barrel with under barrel weight.

Chuck Bradley's ShootersConnection is carrying the SpeedSec 5 holster for revolvers, and it looks quite fast for IPSC work. Barrel configuration isn't an issue, since it holds the revolver by the trigger guard ......BUT.....(there's always a BUT...)

NRA Police Pistol Combat rules 3.12 " Holster--a conventional right-or left-handed holster must be used."

I've seen plenty of Cup Challenge holsters at PPC matches, but I haven't seen too many of the SpeedSec 5 style. IF you had a Range Officer who wanted to make an issue of the holster, it might be hard to describe the SpeedSec 5 style holster as a "conventional...holster" Yes, I know it's a conventional holster in IPSC, but is it in PPC shooting???

Lawman,

Is your Bill Davis a Std round bbl, Slab bbl, or his Windmaster?

The 002 comes in two versions. Bull barrel which fits the 1" - 1.25 wide round bbls and slab sides and the STD which fits Std S&W bbl profiles.

Ted Blocker Holsters makes a version to fit the Windmaster. Kind of pricey but nice.

As to the legality of 002 and 003 Safariland, if the Erinie Hill Fast Track and Blocker versions are legal..why not? Ghost etc probably not. But my rule book is 6 years old.

Hi Lawman,

I´m using the mentioned SpeedSec 5 Holster very intensive for IPSC since a few years. It´s a fantastic holster, if you are familiar with it. It´s very, very safe, if it´s locked. If not, the gun is free with just a slight lift upwards. May drop out if hit unintensional. I´ve never had that problem, but my teammate was DQed at WS in SouthAfrica in his last stage because of that.... :wacko:

But for me - it´s perfect! It works with all my Revos without any resetting. And - It´s FAST (me not, but this is another story ;) )

My Holster before was a PWL (Price Western Leather) PPC Style Holster, which can be a alternative for you. It´s a leather front breaker, completly open, with an alternative leather strip with snap-fastener to fix the gun. See photo (I found only a small one).

DVC!

Sascha

edit: add photos of Speedsec 5

post-6018-1138009731_thumb.jpg

post-6018-1138011399_thumb.jpg

post-6018-1138011482_thumb.jpg

Edited by cooper_999

I picked up a S&W Model 10, Bill Davis model for PPC. It has the Aristocrat rib, 6" bull slab side bbl and an under bbl weight. Any ideas on a holster for shooting PPC with?

Congrats on a very nice revolver. I have had a nice Bill Davis Grade 4 or 5 built on a S&W mod 14 for 15+ years. It has the slab sided Apex barrel with the Aristocrat rib. I use a 002 and have for many years. While it is not very secure by USPSA standards it is plenty good for shooting PPC.

Neal in AZ

I'll throw in another vote for the 002. You might have problems with the Speed Sec type holster with all that barrel weight unsupported in front of the trigger guard lock. I use the 002 and find it to be plenty fast, especially for PPC.

A good place to find a cheap one might be from other shooter's on the PPC line. They migh have an old one they don't need or know a guy who's getting out of shooting. Good Luck.

I'd go with whatever holster fits the gun. I find that there is no speed requirement at all. I've been using an older model of the 002, and it's not a very smooth holster to draw from (maybe it needs work). I just use a stock 686, and was thinking about getting a kydex holster to try...