Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hs-6

Robbie Wheaton Jr

I have started loading HS-6 for 9mm. The problem I am having is I seem to have a lot of unburned powder around the ejection port. Is this what a lot of members are talking about when they say the powder is dirty? The powder seems to be very linear in relation to the charge weight and velocity. How is the powder able to be so consistant without completely burning all the powder? overall I am pleased with the was the gun shoots with the HS-6. It is more accurate when loaded to 1.165, but the reliability is not 100%. When I reduce the OAL to 1.150 the accuracy suffers, but the gun is 110% reliable. I am suprised .015 can make such a difference in reliability. The bullets tend to nosedive on the feedramp when the load is over 1.150. BTW I am uaing WSP for my primers. Could this be why I have the unburned powder? Thoughts???

That was my experience w/ 540 - kinda cornmealy in my 9x21 major loads. I don't have my old load data handy. Was loading to 1.150", OAL, but I never sent a 540 load over to Jeff Maass. Apparently, HS-6 is the same as 540, so...

I ended up switching to 3N37, at the time, which worked the comp better and burned very cleanly - and then switched from 135gr bullets to 130s (I was shooting 9x21 in a P-9, and didn't want to beat up the lug or slide stop pins at old Major).

The rumor is that WSP and WSR primers have the same amount of the same compound onboard - just the primer cup is harder in the WSR primers. Don't know if that's actually true, or not - but I think your primers are OK...

HS-6 was didn't burn as well for me with 124g bullets. When I switched to 115's the powder burns a lot more completly. I called CCI a couple of years ago to ask about SR vs. SP primers. They said that the SR primers have a flame that has more length to it so that it can get further into a rifle case to burn the powder. I get a small rise in PF between the two primers as well. Before you give up on the powder, try the SR primers. Also, have you tried loading longer than 1.165" oal? You could also try raising the charge to see if it would burn better.

The longer OAL will not work in my magazines with the spacers installed. Without the spacers the magazines are not as reliable. I have tried charge whights from 7.8 not major up to 8.6gr (WAY MAJOR) wit the same results. I still get the unburned powder in the ejection port. I do not see any unburned powder in the barrel or in the comp after firing. It is only in the internals of the pistol. I am concerned if a piece of this gets on the sear it could cause a malfunction, or endup gumming the rails on the slide to frame with the same result.

Hs-6 and hs-7 are the most noticable when it comes to the unburnt powder dilema. I was shooting some silhouette and hs-6 loads, both about the same pf, and you could not tell a difference. I'm pretty sure I'll be switching back to silhouette because it is a little cleaner and does not haze up the c-more as fast.

I am concerned if a piece of this gets on the sear it could cause a malfunction, or endup gumming the rails on the slide to frame with the same result.

If your really worried about how much goo is getting in the gun then you might want to switch to the Vihtavuori powders. They are a lot cleaner than HS-6, HS-7, Silhouette, or True Blue. They cost a lot more as well. For right now, I've resounded myself to cleaning my gun more often and using HS-6. I've burned about 4 pounds of HS-6 and have not taken the bottom half apart yet to clean it.

• 2 weeks later...

I am using 7.8 gr HS-6 in my Para Open gun. I load to 1.175 with a 124 Star fmj and WSR primers for a PF of 170. It is very accurate and reliable in my gun. I do notice a bit of left over powder around the port as you mentioned. And it can get kind of nasty after a while but I haven't had a problem with reliability due to it.

I also use Longshot when I can find it. I load to the same OAL but use 7.4 gr Longshot for a 170 PF. The Longshot does seem to be cleaner than the HS6 and accuracy and felt recoil is the same.

I have a STI for Para mag with the spacer and I don't have the problem you mentioned with OAL. My 1.175 works fine. The mags are identical to the std STI mags except for mag catch slot location so I don't understand your length problem.

This maybe a dumb question, but, are yuou guys talking about making major with 9mm and 115/124 grain bullets. I just started shooting open have a para/caspian with briley two port comp I am using 5.7 alliaint power pistol and 147 fmj at 1.180 aol 1125 fps would like to use lighter bullets clue me in please.Thanks

Yes, Major in 9x19 w/ 115/124/125gr bullets. No problem. This thread has some ideas - do a search in the 9mm/.38 reloading forum, and you'll come up with a bunch!! The trick for 9mm Major is powder selection....