Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag Brushes and Mops

MWPVLP

While I have always cleaned my mags with a brush after use during a match, especially those for a 2011 platform pistol, I have never used a " Mag MOP".  Any ideas on the pros/cons of using one vs. the other or both? 

Nice. I have always used a brush and the last few years have used the SSI Range Towel and it is awesome. But I still use both....brush first then towel. After a couple jams at majors due to not cleaning a mag I said NEVER AGAIN. Can't see any cons to use both. Takes one minute to take mag apart, clean, and put back together. 

No matter how many times you push a brush through, there is always some dust remaining.  A microfiber towel takes care of that.

One old-timer I shoot with cleans with a microfiber rag wrapped around a mag brush, the sprays mag slick in the tube.  If he drops a mag, it gets cleaned.  Even if it drops on grass.

Edited by zzt

7 minutes ago, zzt said:

No matter how many times you push a brush through, there is always some dust remaining.  A microfiber towel takes care of that.

One old-timer I shoot with cleans with a microfiber rag wrapped around a mag brush, the sprays mag slick in the tube.  If he drops a mag, it gets cleaned.  Even if it drops on grass.

Yep. It gets dropped it gets cleaned. Period. 

3 hours ago, eisenhow said:

My fancy mag cleaning device:  Microfiber towel + zip tie.

IMG_7216.jpg

This.  Been doing this for decades and it works great.

(ooof, I just checked.. been doing it 18+ years).

I came here for the ideas but it looks like I’ve found the solution. I’m going to make a fancy mag cleaning device and give it a try. I’ve seen people cleaning mags between stages but never tried it myself. Are you guys cleaning after every stage?

2 minutes ago, wwiaftm said:

I came here for the ideas but it looks like I’ve found the solution. I’m going to make a fancy mag cleaning device and give it a try. I’ve seen people cleaning mags between stages but never tried it myself. Are you guys cleaning after every stage?

Clean after every stage...just the mag(s) that hit the ground. 

4 minutes ago, wwiaftm said:

Sent you a link via PM for the product I use. Good luck! May your mags never jam....