Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First DQ

JGH

Got my first ever DQ last night at an indoor match. My second match back after almost 20 years, my last classifier was in 2005.

The second stage required moving up range(to the rear) and then right to left. As a Limited Major shooter I needed a reload. Worried about the 180 I waited until I turned the corner before starting my reload and was inserting my mag just as I got into position. Somehow i fumbled the reload and my mag bounces out of my hand up to about eye level in front of me, and I reached forward and caught the mag and inserted it. RO stopped me before I fired. He said my hand extended in front of the muzzle as I was catching the mag. I cant say for sure but I can see how my hand may have reached forward of the muzzle, but I don't think it was ever in line with the muzzle. I couldn't say for sure either way so I didn't argue. I bagged up, but stayed and kept pasting until that stage was complete, and then left while the squad was waiting to start the next/last stage. Pretty embarrassing, but a lesson learned, just have just taken another mag from the belt. At least it was just a local weekday match.

Good to share this stuff I think, thank you.

The vast majority of the time I think dq's are legitimate, but sometimes match officials can get nervous and call what almost happened or what they think happened instead of what they are sure happened. I try first to be safe and second to make sure that I never tempt a match official to make a bad call.  

1 hour ago, JGH said:

I couldn't say for sure either way so I didn't argue. I bagged up, but stayed and kept pasting until that stage was complete, and then left while the squad was waiting to start the next/last stage.

You handled it perfectly IMO.

s#!t happens.  I bet you'll be REALLY careful about reloads for a while, so there's that.

19 hours ago, JGH said:

d. He said my hand extended in front of the muzzle as I was catching the mag. I cant say for sure but I can see how my hand may have reached forward of the muzzle, but I don't think it was ever in line with the muzzle. I couldn't say for sure either way so I didn't argue.

if there's one thing I've learned, what I may have perceived can be quite different to what really happened.

That's not to say the ROs can't get it wrong. There's a pretty egregious example of a terrible 180 call going around on social media right now.

On 10/9/2024 at 7:52 AM, JGH said:

Somehow i fumbled the reload and my mag bounces out of my hand up to about eye level in front of me, and I reached forward and caught the mag and inserted it.

Chasing fumbled magazines are something that can get anyone in trouble for numerous reasons.   I use to chase them, but have since been able to just reach for another in almost every instance.  I am not saying that you did not/or did muzzle yourself and the RO's DQ was or was not justified in this instance, but something we do have to keep in mind is, the less things we can give the reason for an unjustified DQ is to not give the RO a reason to give one.  Competent gun handling and keeping you hands anywhere near the muzzle does not give an RO the chance to hand out improper DQs.  If we as shooters do not chase fumbled magazines, our hands will not get close to the muzzle.  

Incompetent gun handling, nervous shooters, and unnatural acts during a course of fire, put the RO in a hyper aware state.  Instead of just calling a DQ when one arises it seems like they are looking for a DQ to happen.  Sometimes justifiably so when it comes to incompetent gun handling, but not usually when it comes to the later two reasons.