Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Surface For Shooting Bay?

I spent some time today running a box blade over one of our club's shooting bays that had large chunks of crushed concrete on it.  This stuff has been on the bay for several years now with only foot traffic primarily.  As a result, it really didn't work into the surface and remained on top, creating a somewhat hazardous surface to move on.   At the very least, it was uncomfortable to walk on.

Now that the club has a nice little tractor with a box blade, I was able to do something about it.   Basically the bay is now down to bare dirt with a smattering of rocks here n' there in the low spots.   

What best to replace it with?   I hear about this "3/4 grind" stuff which sounds to me like it would ideal as the larger pieces interlock while the finer stuff in the mix fills in the gaps between the larger pieces.   Our other bays have pea gravel on them which is okay but I was curious if 3/4 grind might be better. 

Thanks!!

I’m interested in the answers, as I recently purchased 20+ acres and am going to build at least one bay on it.  The range I help run matches at is mostly grass.  There is stone in some spots that aren’t graded well and some spots just get muddy.  My personal preference for range surface is a well graded bay with a good covering of grass.  The nicest ranges I have shot on were grass, well graded, and actually mowed and maintained

Around here (N.E. PA) we have what is called "1/2 minus". It is 1/2" and smaller crushed stone which is mixed with stone dust (from stone sawing blue stone). It is like "modified" ( #2 stone mixed with dirt). It lays flat, smooths easily and doesn't roll under your feet like pea gravel can. Once it is rained on it gets packed in and hardens. Sometimes it is mixed with concrete or porcelain to harden it more.

It will cut with water runoff but it is really tough stuff. 

I spray mine with weed killer 1x/year to keep the weeds out.

Also much better to pick brass than pea gravel.

Edited by Dr. Phil

I shot the NC Sectional at Ant Hill in the mid 2000's, and I remember the bays being grass and manicured like a golf green. Easy on the feet in cleats, but probably a pain to maintain. But I loved shooting on it! My home club is a gravel pit, with some "ankle break" sized rocks strewn about. I'm constantly kicking them to the side.