Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How To Fix Fiber Optic Front Sight?

tpe187

Just got my limited gun and I've been breaking it in over the last couple days. Today, I suddenly notice the fiber optic pipe is gone and at me feet. What is the method for fixing this? This is my first gun with fiber optic front sight, so I'm not too familiar with how it is attached. I would assume some kind of heat to expand the ends, but not sure. Also, I figure I should have some extra on hand for repairs in the future. Where is a good site to buy some tubes. Thanks for the help.

Tom

After having replaced these fibers dozens of times, I finally found a procedure that will give you at least 1000 rounds between replacements.

First mushroom the ends and then put a small dab of medium or thick super glue under the head of only the front mushroom. Try not to get the super glue on any other part of the fiber, That's why you don't want to use the standard super glue it will wick up the fiber and cause it to be dull (the outer sheath of the fiber is what does most of the light capture). The medium or thick super glue will not wick up the fiber. You can get this at any hobby store and it will last a long long time unless you find other uses for it like I do.

By the way, wipe and keep oil and dirt off the fiber for the same reason and cover it when you put it in a case. I use a small plastic cup so the fiber will not be degraded by the oil from the padding in the gun case. This really keeps the fibre bright for most of it's life. With my eyes this has always been very important to me.

Also, buy some spares in the color you like because it is kind of hard to find in the local hardware store the night before a match.

Good luck.

I buy my F/O rod from these guys.

http://www.fiberopticproducts.com/Flourescent.htm

When you see their prices, you'll be a little annoyed with Dawson and everybody else that sells F/O rod at about 100,000% mark-up! ;)

I've had excellent luck using a "torch" style butane cigar lighter to melt the F/O. Easy.

Man those prices are crazy, thanks for the link :o For years I've been paying $10 for about 8 inches of FO from the match vendors?

A little hint to installing fibre in the sights that are drilled (Dawson) through front to back.

Cut a length about 2" long (buy fibre from the link above it's VERY inexpensive), push the fibre through the sight and leave about 1/16" protruding out past the front of the blade. Next heat the front of the fibre (the end you will be looking at while shooting) with a butane lighter and be careful NOT to get the rod in the flame (it can darken the end) as the rod shrinks at the end pull the rod from the back of the sight into the recess of the front of the sight this will cause the heated end to conform to the shoulder cut into the sight and cool. Next trim the excess that is sticking out of the rear of the sight to 1/16" from the sight blade and use the excess to push and hold the fibre rod in the sight while you heat the end at the rear of the sight to form a bulb.

Presto no glue to set up (and distort its light gatering ability) and all you need is a length of rod, a lighter and finger nail clippers to trim/cut the rod. I normally replace the rod when they begin to develope (for lack of a better description) little "crackles" that are visable when looking down at the rod from the top (the sheathing has begun to develope small cracks) as this can reduce the intensity of the fibre somewhere arounf 1500-2000 rounds.

I have never had one break/fall out (other than when they impact something) and you can change them fast (usually in under a minute). I have tried red (don't like the aura), orange (great for outside in bright sunlight, not so hot for overcast skies, dusk, or indoor lighting), green (probably the best for me to see under most lighting conditions both indoor and outdoor) and yellow (I don't like yellow at all)

Edited by Crusher

Good advice from Crusher if your gun is not prone to launching fibers. I have a .45 para that does not require anything but mushrooming the ends and lasts a long time. My .40, though, with it's spring setup seems to eat the fibres - usually in the middle of a long accuracy stage. I sometimes replaced the fibers at matches for this gun without glue, but they only lasted me about 100-200 rounds.

If your gun is prone to losing the fiber - and I don't know what the cosmic factors are that determine this, you will want to use the glue. Usually you will know pretty soon if your gun is a "fiber chucker" and will know what has to be done.

I've been using the above method of fibre insallation on an Eagle that eats both maj/minor ammo and is sprung with a 10# recoil spring and a 17# mainspring no shock buffs and in 16000 round never lost a rod. My Edge (major ammo only) is sprung with an 11# recoil spring, double buffed frame saver GR and a 17# mainspring. The Edge has about 30000 through it and the only rod it lost was when I bounced the sight into an emergency latch on an exit door and nailed the rod.

On both guns the STI rears (bo-mar knock off) crapped out around the 7000 mark so they were replace with the real deal but the rods stayed put.

I ordered some of the light pipe from the above mentioned site. Pretty cheap, I think it was like 5.75 with shipping. I will hold off on the super glue method and try the torch method. Seems like the way it should be done. Now that I'll have 3ft of fiber optic, I'll probably never need anymore :) Oh well. thanks for all the advice.

Tom

I really appreciate the link.

I'm color blind and find that red is useless for me. Green has been very good. I ordered some green and yellow. Never tried yellow, but with these prices who cares?

Again, thanks for the link.

I really appreciate the link.

I'm color blind and find that red is useless for me. Green has been very good. I ordered some green and yellow. Never tried yellow, but with these prices who cares?

Again, thanks for the link.

Thats a great link, but I have a FO sight that is .100" wide, and they dont offer a FO in that width. What should I do? Can i use a smaller one, i.e., .08" wide?

You need to buy fiber that is the same size as the hole in the blade. It sounds to me like you were describing your front sight width.

.040" and .060" seem to be popular sizes for fiber in front sights. Take a set of calipers to your current fiber in your sight , and you'll get very close to the diameter you need.

Ray

A variation on crusher's approach is to heat the end muzzle end of the fiber (after threading it through the sight and before cutting it short) and then pull it into the bored out part of the sight before it is completely solid. This will wedge it in tightly. If any of the fiber still sticks out, then just reheat to mushroom it a bit. Then cut the other end and mushroom it as described above. With the mushroomed end up tight against the rearward part of the front sight, it should be rock solid.

I used to do this, reversed, mainly to get a very small FO "dot" inside the outline of the FS post, sort of like a tritium insert, but found that a benefit was that the FO stayed put until I wanted to take it out. Now I use Brazos FO sights, and they give me the same sight picture. The FO's are staying in pretty well, so far.

You need to buy fiber that is the same size as the hole in the blade. It sounds to me like you were describing your front sight width.

.040" and .060" seem to be popular sizes for fiber in front sights. Take a set of calipers to your current fiber in your sight , and you'll get very close to the diameter you need.

Ray

For the caliper imparied among us, anyone happen to know the FO width for the standard .100" FO sight that is the factory installed upgrade for an STI edge?

Got my fiber optic today. Installation was really easy. I just put one end in from muzzler to breach side leaving 1/16 exposed, used a regular lighter about 1/4 away until it melted against the sight. Then pulled gently to make sure it seated, cut off about 1/16 left toward muzzle and melted using the same method. Seems rock solid to me, with no mess. I think I used about 3/4 of an inch. Now I have a lifetime supply of the stuff for all of 5.75 shipped. Thanks for the link to the cheap stuff and for the ideas on how to install.

Tom