Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New EDC revo

I picked up one of the Taurus T.O.R.O 856 in 38 about a month ago.

I picked it up on GB for less than the 407K I stuck on it.  I've been using it as an experiment on how well an optic Revo carried owb at 4:00 o'clock strong side would hold up to life and Texas humidity.  Through yard work, a full tear down to the studs, shifting to make a new room, reframing and now finishing it's not been damaged.  The dot does fog, but so far has just acted like an occluded optic; from full AC to 103 and Texas humidity  it's worked.  

The only downside for me is the 38+p and I struggle to get a consistent grip on the tiny grip.

I'm very satisfied with the proof of concept and think an EDC optic Revo is a go for me.

I'm torn between a model 66 or a 686+ 2.5 inch. I like the 7 shots in the 686, but prefer the 3 inch barrel feel.

I  have a K6S for deep concealment when the need arises. 

Which way would ya'll go for an EDC/ Packin' pistol in 357?

Jason 

1 hour ago, Makicjf said:

I picked up one of the Taurus T.O.R.O 856 in 38 about a month ago.

I picked it up on GB for less than the 407K I stuck on it.  I've been using it as an experiment on how well an optic Revo carried owb at 4:00 o'clock strong side would hold up to life and Texas humidity.  Through yard work, a full tear down to the studs, shifting to make a new room, reframing and now finishing it's not been damaged.  The dot does fog, but so far has just acted like an occluded optic; from full AC to 103 and Texas humidity  it's worked.  

The only downside for me is the 38+p and I struggle to get a consistent grip on the tiny grip.

I'm very satisfied with the proof of concept and think an EDC optic Revo is a go for me.

I'm torn between a model 66 or a 686+ 2.5 inch. I like the 7 shots in the 686, but prefer the 3 inch barrel feel.

I  have a K6S for deep concealment when the need arises. 

Which way would ya'll go for an EDC/ Packin' pistol in 357?

Jason 

well I have no use for dots, especially for a real gun.. But I have a 386 ,, 7 shot 2.75" scandium frame, I switched the adjustable rear to the CS fixed rear, and a fiber optic front.  Thinking of getting it cut for moons, to match up with my 686..  Pretty happy with it.  Its light enough without being too light.. I mean I wouldnt want to spend all day at the range with it,, but eh its not to bad with 357 loads. I tend to shoot 158 SWC over HS6,, or 180's over BE86 through it.   I do keep looking at the 5 shot 44 magnum 69 ? though..  I would really like to find a thunder ranch 325. or one of the few 360's J frames made with 3" barrels.

17 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

well I have no use for dots, especially for a real gun.. But I have a 386 ,, 7 shot 2.75" scandium frame, I switched the adjustable rear to the CS fixed rear, and a fiber optic front.  Thinking of getting it cut for moons, to match up with my 686..  Pretty happy with it.  Its light enough without being too light.. I mean I wouldnt want to spend all day at the range with it,, but eh its not to bad with 357 loads. I tend to shoot 158 SWC over HS6,, or 180's over BE86 through it.   I do keep looking at the 5 shot 44 magnum 69 ? though..  I would really like to find a thunder ranch 325. or one of the few 360's J frames made with 3" barrels.

I'm shooting Open/OSR/RFPO Revo for as long as my finger tendonitis will allow, so carrying what I shoot makes sense to me.

I've also found the *MOST FUN*  I have at matches, USPSA or Steel Challenge, is blasting away with a dotted Revo.

I don't know if it's vision related, or the plastic nature of my skill set, but ever since I fought my way to GM in Steel Challenge OSR, I've struggled with irons.

I've given in and my stubborn loses:  I'm going to shoot what is the most fun and what I do best.

...for what it's worth, my practical mind agrees with you:  dots, revo's and practicality should be mutually exclusive.  However, my monkey brain takes over after the beep and I love it!

Thanks for the advice on the 386/686!

Jason

I think there is a short 327 8 shot as well, but I think thats getting pretty fat. I just havent had good luck with dots,, I only get to shoot a couple matches a year and pretty frustrating to have one crap out,, CUrrently I do as well or better with irons,, I did give them a good go. I have one of the FTP sights that are advertised on this forum alot,, and never heard anything negative.. No instant on feature so its only a  game sight. Only issue I had was changing battery ,,  itty bitty screws with itty bitty allen wrench I didnt have with me.. SO yeh new battery before travel I guess.  Plan on shooting a major in NE this fall, will probably shoot limited with my 7 shot. Last year the match was 6 shot neutral.  small subset, but have almost never seen a stage in Icore where a 7 shot was a disadvantage..
I saw that taurus optic,, my wife shot my 22/45 with a dot and said it was like cheating and immediately asked if she could get one on her gun..  She has a 317 smith 3".. as you mentioned the taurus arnt super pricey and Vortex has a new sight that fits the factory cut.,, So pretty much anything if she will come out and shoot with me. I ride horses and used to do it frequently in areas with lots of park bears, so thats pretty much what the 386 is for,, plus I feel better falling on it than any of my auto loaders.. except for the XDM.

Posted (edited)

I like EDC my 325 TR, it's comfortable in my discontinued Comp Tac IWB holster.  And the weight is on a par with most of my other carries.

Just finding a holster is a pita, I got lucky but currently not much.  Thinking of trying to find an OWB holster for EDC too?

Edited by pskys2

I went with a model 19. I wanted to try the taurus toro 856, but opted to go for a s&w 19. It's a 19-3 , so not drilled & tapped, but the 19 k comp I am looking at is.  

Picked up an aiwb holster from JM Custom kydex.

Switched to optics on all my concealed carry guns years ago, and my comp guns. 

11 hours ago, JTWjr said:

I went with a model 19. I wanted to try the taurus toro 856, but opted to go for a s&w 19. It's a 19-3 , so not drilled & tapped, but the 19 k comp I am looking at is.  

Picked up an aiwb holster from JM Custom kydex.

Switched to optics on all my concealed carry guns years ago, and my comp guns. 

I'm seriously thinking about magna porting the 686+ I picked up.

I'll look into the JM Custom holster.

Thanks!

Jason

5 hours ago, Makicjf said:

I'm seriously thinking about magna porting the 686+ I picked up.

I'll look into the JM Custom holster.

Thanks!

Jason

Smith had a ported shorter barrel 586  out for awhile was pretty nice..  If this hurricane would ever go away I can get home and go blow some money at a gun show.  Currently doing circles off Tampa, waiting to get to Texas,

I just got a 632 UC for a carry gun. It's a 32 H&R magnum 6 shot J frame.  I'm going to put a Crimson Trace Laser Grip on it. The laser grip keeps things small, while making it easy to aim with in low light conditions. To me, the laser grip has some advantages over a red dot, in that you can shoot accurately from less than ideal positions because you don't have to be exactly behind the gun and find the dot. You can quickly just point and shoot and make good hits.

17 hours ago, Toolguy said:

I just got a 632 UC for a carry gun. It's a 32 H&R magnum 6 shot J frame.  I'm going to put a Crimson Trace Laser Grip on it. The laser grip keeps things small, while making it easy to aim with in low light conditions. To me, the laser grip has some advantages over a red dot, in that you can shoot accurately from less than ideal positions because you don't have to be exactly behind the gun and find the dot. You can quickly just point and shoot and make good hits.

"Competition is a crucible.. that which works rises to the top, that which doesnt is cast aside... " D.R. MiddleBrooke.

Wondered about lasers,, all the cool kids had them for awhile and of course all over TV.. but they dont seem to have ever made any headway into any type of competitive action sport. I have never tried one that I can recall. Thought about putting those grips on the wifes 317, she might enjoy it .

I have a red one on another J frame. It has a 1-7/8" barrel. With the regular sights, I can shoot about a 15" group at 25 yards. With the laser grip, I can shoot 5" groups at 25 yards. I can also shoot accurately from the hip or close retention style, all while watching the threat and not having to aim the gun with the sights. It's a good training aid on a 625 also.

2 hours ago, Toolguy said:

I have a red one on another J frame. It has a 1-7/8" barrel. With the regular sights, I can shoot about a 15" group at 25 yards. With the laser grip, I can shoot 5" groups at 25 yards. I can also shoot accurately from the hip or close retention style, all while watching the threat and not having to aim the gun with the sights. It's a good training aid on a 625 also.

+1. I have lasers on 5 or 6 "carry" guns / house guns. Laser revolver grips are excellent! I have a 4" 686 that was around 6 or 7 years between battery changes. The laser is only on for your firing grip. Same with autos as far as grip lasers go.

Most of mine are red but 2 are green. Green can be seen in daylight from quite a ways.

I have had people struggling with trigger control and double action revolver triggers. Give them a gun with a laser and they instantly see the issues they are having and afterwards they transfer back to their sights very well.

As far as usability, I know that many SWAT teams use them and the SEALS also. They also target paint from a long distance in the military. Not a fix for everything but a viable sighting device and a great training tool!

22 hours ago, Joe4d said:

"Competition is a crucible.. that which works rises to the top, that which doesnt is cast aside... " D.R. MiddleBrooke.

Wondered about lasers,, all the cool kids had them for awhile and of course all over TV.. but they dont seem to have ever made any headway into any type of competitive action sport. I have never tried one that I can recall. Thought about putting those grips on the wifes 317, she might enjoy it .

Joe:

Thats because they are slow.  You have to pick up the laser and put it on the target.  Takes less time to get a sight picture with irons and even less with a dot.

They are pretty cool but the ones sold to civilians are also pretty weak in laser terms.  I had one of the most powerful, legal for civilians, green laser I put under a 5.56 carbine.  Daylight with sun and you could see the dot at maybe fifty yards if you really looked.  Night time and it went a long ways but the farther it goes, the more it paints so the 'dot' eventually covers the entire target or more.  Also, at night you really need NVD's because the laser doesn't illuminate like white light.

They aren't a gimmick though.  They are pretty handy for some guys.  

GG

On 7/7/2024 at 1:13 PM, Toolguy said:

Since I carried a S&W M332 for probably 20 years, I just had to have the new Ultimate Carry.  I got the 432UC.  It has to go for trigger work, but otherwise I think it will be great and outshine the 332.  And its my first with a Tritium front sight; I think I'm really going to like it.  

Oh, and hope to see ya again at the Free State USPSA match!  

• 2 weeks later...

I got to handle a 432UC recently and I wish I hadn't. Now I have to replace my 642 I've carried for years. The upgraded sights and 6 round capacity made the decision easier. 

On 7/7/2024 at 10:48 AM, Joe4d said:

Smith had a ported shorter barrel 586  out for awhile was pretty nice..  If this hurricane would ever go away I can get home and go blow some money at a gun show.  Currently doing circles off Tampa, waiting to get to Texas,

The 586 L Comp ?