Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Jumping into reloading 9mm for my PCC

I rounded up all the stuff needed to start the reloading process. I did not want to dump a huge amount into a press so I went with a Lee 4000 progressive. 
Franklen case cleaner and shifter

powder tickler , scale 

My local gun shop did not a have a huge selection. 
I got 1 lbs of Hodgdon CFE pistol the book says 4.2 to 5.1gr with a 124 Berry RN it’s.356 my book lists it a .355 hope it works. I have 13 days to just the press and develop a steel Challenge 100% functioning load. Think that’s a to ambitious. Anyone use this powder or am I wasting my time with this recipe 

Clearly, you can make CFE Pistol work. Is it ideal? I have no idea. Plated bullets should be fine.

Most of the "recoil" of a blowback PCC comes from the heavy internals moving back and forth inside. Gas retarded or gas operated ones are softer. In any case, a comp can help if your load gives enough gas at enough pressure near the muzzle.

Anyway, in Steel Challenge, you are (hopefully) not shooting the same target twice but moving to the next one. So a little bounce isn't such a big deal as long as you are comfortable with the gun.

On 7/1/2024 at 7:15 PM, SCSAJack said:

Yes it has my own designed comp

Generally what I found that works during the years of shooting is that compensated guns run better with lighter bullets and slower powder.It gives enough gas for compensator to work.

I've been using CFE for several years now. I have 125 grain RN coated bullets, and have used it with a 5" pistol. This year, I got a PCC and have been working loads for that as well. I'm currently using 1.125" OAL, which works fine with both firearms. I've done shorter and longer in the past, but 1.132" is about the max for the rounds to seat in the chamber all the way.

For pistol, I've done loads from 4.4 to 5.0 grain and found that 4.5-4.6 works well me lately (need to make minor PF for IDPA competition). With 4.4 gr, I'm at 124 PF, and with 4.6 gr, I'm at 131 PF. I was doing 4.8gr and 5.0 gr in the past, but recoil was more severe.

For PCC, I use it for Steel Challenge. I've played with 4.2gr up to 4.8gr. Initially, I used the same load as pistol, at 4.8 gr, but see 143-148 PF - pretty sharp recoil with that. The 4.4 gr was very soft, gave me about 135 PF (not that it matters for SC). The 4.2 gr was down to 124 PF (using a different lock piece on my PCC) and very soft, but seemed to be getting close to the edge on whether the cycling would work reliably (didn't fail, but cases were somewhat dribbling out, versus ejecting well).

I've decided to try to stick with 4.5gr for a while, so I could use the pistol with IDPA (just making power), and have a softer recoil for PCC.

My suggestion would be to make a ladder of loads, and if you can chrono, check the velocity, standard deviation, and spread for the components you are using and in the PCC, See how your PCC functions, and how well groups are with the various selections.

I've messed with faster powders (CFE is not very fast), and they seem to use less powder, and often have better standard deviation and spread. I may switch some day, but I have a lot of CFE, so it'll be a while.

Have fun!

On 6/30/2024 at 11:19 PM, SCSAJack said:

I have 13 days to just the press and develop a steel Challenge 100% functioning load. Think that’s a to ambitious. Anyone use this powder or am I wasting my time with this recipe 

Welcome to the world of reloading to a custom load.

For PCC two import things to work on; feed reliability and leading in comp.

I recommend to only use 124 RN profile heavy plated with no exposed lead. I like the Everglades 124 V2 heavy plated. Very easy to load and service is fantastic.

Round nose for best feeding.

Fully plated for leading of comp.

You will need to buy or have access to a chronograph to develop loads. All those book numbers from the manufacturer are there to protect them from lawsuits. 

A PCC does not need as much powder to achieve minor PF velocity because of the barrel length. So start with the lowest numbers and adjust using a chronological as needed to achieve you desired results.

I started with Lee presses and while they work they have a lot of challenges. Pay attention to powder drops and primer feeds.

BTW, CFE Pistol is a good powder.

When you are ready to move up look at a Dillon or Mark 7 press.

Enjoy your new found hobby!