Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to PCC bullet choices

Hi all, getting set up for 9mm PCC for Steel Challenge so no PF needed, just the gun to cycle 100% of the time. I am going to use a coated bullet and I think around 124/5. But now the kicker round nose or truncated ? Is one better than the other and why. Powder mid burn rate maybe 231 or AA2 or suggestions

Thanks in advance 

I wound up using one load for my Carry Optics, Limited Optics, and PCC for USPSA/Steel.  I use a coated 147gr truncated over 3.2gr of N320 (used Titegroup when I started reloading due to the lower price point but it is a very dirty powder), 1.130 in OAL (comes in at ~130PF).  Decision to stick to one recipe for all was that 1) the round feeds and shoots very well in all of my guns 2) it simplified my press set up for reloading sessions and could run large batches to feed all my 9mm's.

Are you using a full 16" barrel?  a sleeved barrel?  are you running a comp?

I'm running Taccom barrels so I have gone with the Everglades plated 115s running at around 100PF.  I went with plated to reduce the buildup in the sleeve.  Coated bullets are great, but I found that they left more residue behind in the sleeves.  It's no big deal one way or the other as I have the tool for reaming that crap out.  Since you only need to ring the steel I went with light bullet, light powder charge.  I also like the Berry's 100gr HBRN, but they are pricier.

I have run some tests with 90PF rounds and they worked great too, but I worry that a slightly undercharged round might make it in (no check die) and not cycle properly.  You know how it goes with one malfunction and that string is toast.

My minor 9mm load is a 124 plated over 4.4gr AA2.  It makes 132 PF in a 5: barrel.  It makes 164 PF in my 16" PCC barrel.  I went with a 5 1/4" sleeved barrel (like @bigdawgbeav) to eliminate that.

If you have a long barrel and you try to make low PF loads for SCSA, they will be filthy dirty.  I had to take my bolt apart and clean the firing pin channel after every match when I tried that.  No matter what barrel you are using, shoot only plated or JHPs.  Your barrel/comp will love you for it.

On 6/28/2024 at 8:58 AM, Sawlsville said:

I wound up using one load for my Carry Optics, Limited Optics, and PCC for USPSA/Steel.  I use a coated 147gr truncated over 3.2gr of N320 (used Titegroup when I started reloading due to the lower price point but it is a very dirty powder), 1.130 in OAL (comes in at ~130PF).  Decision to stick to one recipe for all was that 1) the round feeds and shoots very well in all of my guns 2) it simplified my press set up for reloading sessions and could run large batches to feed all my 9mm's.

I do the same ... one load for all guns including revo.  I use Brass Monkey 137 round nose with Sport Pistol.

Posted (edited)
On 7/2/2024 at 5:40 PM, ysrracer said:

I use RMR 124gr Match Winner, over 3.8gr of Win 231. Very soft.

I run this exact same set up except I use the 124gr. Precision Delta JHP2 bullet.  

My bullet is better than Ysrracer’s bullet - just because I said so…..:roflol:

How good is my bullets - so good I can shoot one round of Smoke and Hope in 5 seconds…..😮

Edited by Sigarmsp226

Well I just ran a PCC in 9mm.....I had used Hornady HAPs in the past. They worked well but they are kind of hard to find and when you do they want an arm and a leg for them. So I switched to Brass Monkey 127s. I also evaluated Precision Delta's HP. Those worked flawlessly too. The Brass Monkey is coated, the Precision Delta is jacketed. Both ran good in my PCC. I load them with 3.7 of Titegroup. 

I have not found RN to be better than the HP or TC variety.