Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Let's hear some half-sized target stage setups

I have a bunch of half sized targets I want to use for an upcoming local match. I have some ideas but I want to hear how other clubs have incorporated them into stages. Particularly any work arounds for target sticks not getting shot to hell. One of my ideas is to use them like PCSL K zone targets intermixed with full size variants. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't see any rule that says I can't stipulate half sized targets as 1 round per while full size are 2? 4.2.1.1 says I can intermix targets as long as they are the same USPSA/uspsa, IPSC/ipsc so I don't see any reason not to do this. 

Edited by ColoradoNick

I used some scrap pieces of OSB screwed to the target sticks, painted them black and stapled the 1/2 size to that. I would then use them randomly through out the stage where I wanted to slow the shooter down a bit. These backer boards were good for several matches but would get shot out eventually. Visit some of your local housing contractors and ASK for some they usually have quite a bit  that gets sent to the dump on new housing projects

21 minutes ago, mchapman said:

I used some scrap pieces of OSB screwed to the target sticks, painted them black and stapled the 1/2 size to that. I would then use them randomly through out the stage where I wanted to slow the shooter down a bit. These backer boards were good for several matches but would get shot out eventually. Visit some of your local housing contractors and ASK for some they usually have quite a bit  that gets sent to the dump on new housing projects

That’s a great idea thanks

USPSA Competition Rules February 2024

Half-sized targets of either type are approved at all match levels and may be used together with full-size targets of same type on a course of fire. Half-sized USPSA targets can be covered with hard cover or no-shoots as long as 50% or more of the lower A-zone is
visible. Half-sized IPSC targets can be covered with hard cover or no-shoots as long as 50% or more of the A-zone is visible (see Appendix B1).
Half-sized targets may not be mounted onto full-sized no-shoot targets or used as no-shoots on full-sized scoring targets.
Restrictions on angle of placement still apply for IPSC targets.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, NMBOpen said:
USPSA Competition Rules February 2024

Half-sized targets of either type are approved at all match levels and may be used together with full-size targets of same type on a course of fire. Half-sized USPSA targets can be covered with hard cover or no-shoots as long as 50% or more of the lower A-zone is
visible. Half-sized IPSC targets can be covered with hard cover or no-shoots as long as 50% or more of the A-zone is visible (see Appendix B1).
Half-sized targets may not be mounted onto full-sized no-shoot targets or used as no-shoots on full-sized scoring targets.
Restrictions on angle of placement still apply for IPSC targets.

Thanks? That’s literally referenced in my post. I think you miss interpreted my intent of using it like a PCSL K zone. The whole target being 1 per like a Kzone, not mounted on top of a full size. 

Edited by ColoradoNick

This is my problem with the smaller targets, how to mount them. I think spray painting full size targets black is the best I have come up with. Still cheaper than OSB or coroplast or even cardboard

Some of the most interesting stages I've shot with half-size targets have been with them fairly close-- 3-7 yards maybe.  That way people get careless with precision and drop a ton of points.

A lot of matches just use them as long-distance-simulators and they're kind of meh like that because people will slow way down for a few 12-15 yard minis.

Another way to mount them is nail 18" sticks (cut down scrap sticks) horizontally between two regular sticks in a target stand and staple the top and bottom of the minis to those sticks.  Couple lengths of duct tape work too if it's not too windy.