Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help getting refinishing work done.

Ive got a stainless SVI 2011 I am wanting to get coated (is that even the right word?) black.  I reached out to infinity, then Atlas, neither do it or atlas said they only work on their own pistols, what are some good options of places to get this done and also what coating am I looking for?  From the little bit or research Ive tried to do it looks like DLC or Nitride are what im looking for but dont know which or where to get it done.  The pistol on the left is what Im wanting to get changed to a finish (maybe that is a better word) like the gun on the right.  Thanks for any help, obviously I know nothing about metal or finishes.. so seriously any help appreciated.

thumbnail_IMG_2575.jpg

15 minutes ago, kfd147 said:

I've had great results from these guys. They did 2 older STI Trojan pistols that if the sunlight hit them they would turn white. Just make sure to prep the surface of anything that you want done. I.e. remove scratches and the like.

http://blacknitride.com/firearms/

What do you mean turn white exactly?  And are you meaning you have to prep your own surfaces before they nitride it?

The blueing on the pistols faded pretty fast and they had been used in competitions for several years. I am a gunsmith so I made sure the scratches didn't appear through the finish. I'm not sure if yours have any hard scratches, but I didn't want to take a chance with these showing through the surface treatment.

Jason

Keep in mind that DLC and Black Nitride are two completely different finishes. DLC is a far more durable finish than Black Nitride. Black Nitride requires heating the parts to a very high temperature which will change the hardness of the steel (making them harder). Harder parts resist wear better, but it also makes the parts more brittle. I have had different guns fully DLC and Black Nitride in the past and DLC always lasted longer and resisted kydex hoster wear better. Black Nitride will show holster wear hot spots pretty quickly even though the coating itself will not be penetrated. 

If you are going to spend the $$$ to get a "Black" coating that is very durable, go with Black DLC. Also keep in mind that IonBond is the same thing as Black DLC. Its not hard to find companies that offer Black DLC coating as a service. Its more difficult to find a company which will properly prep the parts for you prior to sending them off for DLC. For example, if you wanted to replicate the Black gun you pictured, you would need someone to bead blast everything then polish the flats on the slide and frame before they send the parts off for Black DLC.

Given that these guns are obviously SVI's I am surprised that they wouldn't take on the work to blast, polish and DLC the silver gun. Either way you go get prepared to spend at least $500 - $1000 to get it done properly and it will likely take several months.

3 hours ago, CHA-LEE said:

Keep in mind that DLC and Black Nitride are two completely different finishes. DLC is a far more durable finish than Black Nitride. Black Nitride requires heating the parts to a very high temperature which will change the hardness of the steel (making them harder). Harder parts resist wear better, but it also makes the parts more brittle. I have had different guns fully DLC and Black Nitride in the past and DLC always lasted longer and resisted kydex hoster wear better. Black Nitride will show holster wear hot spots pretty quickly even though the coating itself will not be penetrated. 

If you are going to spend the $$$ to get a "Black" coating that is very durable, go with Black DLC. Also keep in mind that IonBond is the same thing as Black DLC. Its not hard to find companies that offer Black DLC coating as a service. Its more difficult to find a company which will properly prep the parts for you prior to sending them off for DLC. For example, if you wanted to replicate the Black gun you pictured, you would need someone to bead blast everything then polish the flats on the slide and frame before they send the parts off for Black DLC.

Given that these guns are obviously SVI's I am surprised that they wouldn't take on the work to blast, polish and DLC the silver gun. Either way you go get prepared to spend at least $500 - $1000 to get it done properly and it will likely take several months.

lets expand further on this. DLC is a very hard surface finish, where as nitride is actually a heat treat. you may wear the color off nitride, but the heat treat is there for good. both are good if their properties are what you are looking for.

On 6/18/2024 at 4:35 PM, lefty o said:

lets expand further on this. DLC is a very hard surface finish, where as nitride is actually a heat treat. you may wear the color off nitride, but the heat treat is there for good. both are good if their properties are what you are looking for.

Changing the hardness of the parts isn't always a good thing. Frames, Slides, and Barrels are made to a specific Rockwell hardness for a reason.

56 minutes ago, CHA-LEE said:

Changing the hardness of the parts isn't always a good thing. Frames, Slides, and Barrels are made to a specific Rockwell hardness for a reason.

thats why i said if the properties are what you are looking for.

• ima45dv8 changed the title to Help getting refinishing work done.

I had my recent pistol build PVD / DLC coated by DNA Firearms in North Carolina. Full pistol price was $430 and Kayla was great to work with. They do the PVD coating in house.  Pistol turned out fantastic. 

• 3 months later...