Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Side plate screws for S&W Model 67-1

I'm working on a much neglected 67-1 and need to replace the three screws that secure the side plate to the frame and the hammer spring strain screw.  Brownells and Midway sell S&W side plate and strain screws but they are not the correct size for the -1 version.

A shove in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I received three stainless screws from Jack First.  All three threaded easily into the revolver's frame and appear to be very well made.

Here are the three screws I ordered:

1031-7037R flat head side plate screw

1031-7017R crowned side plate screw

1031-7129R strain screw

Unfortunately, I got the wrong strain screw.  The one I bought was for square butt frames.  What I needed was a strain screw for a round butt frame.  I can modify the wrong strain screw to make it work but I'd rather get the right screw and have contacted the company to see if they can identify which of their many strain screws will correctly fit a round butt S&W Model 67-1.

Here's a side by side comparison of the OEM strain screw and the Jack First side screw.  Note the height of the screw heads.

2024 06 14_0002_edit.jpg

Edited by Steve in Allentown PA

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I ended up modifying the Jack First strain screw to fit the round butt.  Not a big deal.

The revolver turned out nicely after lots of attention to clean up the various burrs and scratches.  I opted to glass bead what was previously  a high polish finish.  Removed the old orange front sight insert and replaced it with a piece of green fiber optic.  I buffed the heads of all the screws to a mirror finish.  A little bling for fun.  I bobbed the hammer to prevent snagging.  The owner shoots this revolver in IDPA matches and only ever uses double action.

When I began working on it I discovered the cylinder would bind due to all the crud that had built up over the decades.  Now it spins freely and all the internal frame parts are now as good as new.

Here's a pic of one side of the revolver.  Nothing special to see.  All the good stuff is inside.

hl9OifN.jpg

Edited by Steve in Allentown PA