Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

best value in box fed shotguns

looking to shoot some open division 3 gun matches and I'm looking to see what are the opinions on box feds. I'd like to find something reliable that doesn't break the bank and would you go 20 or 12 ga. thanks for any and all input

1 hour ago, Dan Sierpina said:

VR80 is probably the closest thing to what you are looking for. Working at SMMG3G on a shotgun stage, every brand had an issue. Including the guns that "never fail"

thanks how about the 12 vs 20 gauge question?

I would stay with 12ga. With a comp on a box fed shotgun recoil isn’t bad at all. The Dissident KS-12 runs well and is lower cost than their higher end models. I know a few guys that have the KS and are very happy with them. 

Posted (edited)

Having gone down the VR80 road, I eventually went with a Genesis 12 with Patrick Kelly upgrades. It may not be the cheapest pick but sometimes you have to purchase reliability. I’ve been completely happy with the decision. Super fast and reliable!

Edited by sheepdog566

18 hours ago, sheepdog566 said:

Having gone down the VR80 road, I eventually went with a Genesis 12 with Patrick Kelly upgrades. It may not be the cheapest pick but sometimes you have to purchase reliability. I’ve been completely happy with the decision. Super fast and reliable!

Vr80 was issue prone for you?

I dumped some money into a vr80 to get it 3 gun ready. I was plagued with random light primer strikes. Never replaced the trigger but was headed that way before buying the gen12. The vr80 is probably the cheapest way to get into open. I credit it with making open available to the masses. Still I wouldn’t trade my Genesis for anything.

14 hours ago, sheepdog566 said:

I dumped some money into a vr80 to get it 3 gun ready. I was plagued with random light primer strikes. Never replaced the trigger but was headed that way before buying the gen12. The vr80 is probably the cheapest way to get into open. I credit it with making open available to the masses. Still I wouldn’t trade my Genesis for anything.

im of the buy once cry once school of thought but if it wasn't a huge difference then maybe id consider something cheaper.  From the sound of it though it's not worth the hassle, and ends up a savings in money once you get pissed and end up going to the "better" platform anyways. Thanks!

I bought one of the 1st Genesis arms shotgun,,,if you have a 308 lower just install the up-graded parts and mate that with a Genesis upper with the high capacity magazines you will need,  By the time you up grade any other box fed shotguns you are very close to the Genesis.

On 5/19/2024 at 5:26 PM, beastmode_05 said:

thanks how about the 12 vs 20 gauge question?

Stay with 12 guage, 20 has less ammo choice and actually sharper recoil. Mags are probably limited availability and capacity.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Yall are pushing $3000+ shotguns with $100+ magazines and a 6 month waitlist at this guy when a used VR80 can be had for $400 on GunBroker today and 19 round mags are $30. Will it jam? Yeah probably occasionally, but there’s no such thing as a trouble-free box fed (the high-level shooters I know successfully running Dissidents/Gen12s have to baby the hell out of them and do a lot of ammo prep). Feed a VR80 1350s and keep the piston lubed and it’ll get you through a match.

Get a VR80. Or like 10 of them for the price of a Gen12. Just know if you put a big brick of a brake on the front of it you’ll probably need to cut a few coils off the recoil spring — that’s the thing that f*#ks with most people. You can always buy the gen12 later and have the vr80 as a backup gun.

Edited by Luna

• 2 months later...
On 6/7/2024 at 1:19 AM, Luna said:

Yall are pushing $3000+ shotguns with $100+ magazines and a 6 month waitlist at this guy when a used VR80 can be had for $400 on GunBroker today and 19 round mags are $30. Will it jam? Yeah probably occasionally, but there’s no such thing as a trouble-free box fed (the high-level shooters I know successfully running Dissidents/Gen12s have to baby the hell out of them and do a lot of ammo prep). Feed a VR80 1350s and keep the piston lubed and it’ll get you through a match.

Get a VR80. Or like 10 of them for the price of a Gen12. Just know if you put a big brick of a brake on the front of it you’ll probably need to cut a few coils off the recoil spring — that’s the thing that f*#ks with most people. You can always buy the gen12 later and have the vr80 as a backup gun.

I own a Gen 12 and I sure as hell don't baby it, that's the main selling point, you don't need special shells or to clean too often, it just freaking runs, get some shells, clean the gun every 500 rounds (1000 if you don't really feel like it), lube it up, run it some more, listen, if it can run s#!tty Argentinean made shells that don't even run on a tricked out Beretta 1301, then it can run basically anything.